1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Environment

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Nov 29, 2015.

1. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

The 5th largest economy in the world is capable of devising policies which benefit ourselves but also take responsibility for the wider community. Merkel has already expressed her fears about the UK becoming an efficient and successful nation on the EU's doorstep. The EU is afraid when the UK is not tied down by unnecessary regulations it will be much more competitive, roll on Brexit.

2. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Where is the data?
    Where is your poll?
    Not La-La Land. Where is it? This is just rhetoric otherwise. And Watford have more chance of finishing fifth than the No Deal UK staying fifth.

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"The UK has fallen to the bottom of the G7 growth league table after Brexit uncertainty held the economy back in the spring."

"Every other advanced economy performed better than Britain in the second quarter of 2019, a ranking confirmed on Friday when Canada was the last of the seven to report GDP figures for the period between April and June."

This is actual data, not wishful thinking.

andytoprankin likes this.
  4. superhorns

It is obvious uncertainty is not good for business. Once the remoaners are defeated and Brexit actually takes place normal UK superiority will return. The EU have resorted to panic measures to solve its flat growth with France and Germany flirting with recession. The UK had one of the highest growth figures for July. Trump's impending realignment of trading with the EU will cause real problems after the UK leaves.

5. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Baseless rhetoric.

6. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

The danger is of course there - but what type of success will that be ? Brexit, if it comes, will be pushed through by the most right wing cabinet that this country has ever seen - with the most right wing agenda of all time. The order of the day is 100% free market deregulation of all those 'nasty' EU rules protecting workers and environment. Britain would try to make itself attractive to the rest of the World's capital (like a hooker opening her legs for all comers) - it could only do that by becoming a bargain basement society where the natives are cheap and easily worked. The other side of the coin is to turn the UK into a kind of Singapore model - ie. a tax oasis on Europe's door. So yes Merkel may have worries on that score - but what type of future is that ? Maybe the workers of the UK should look at exactly who the main Brexiteers are - the Bojo's, Rees Moggs etc. and ask what they have ever done, or thought, about 'the workers' up till now. The other main danger of Brexit is that a falling Britain will, inevitably, fall into America's lap - there is no way it could be otherwise.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The FCO has warned holidaymakers about the extreme risks of going to some areas of Spain where people have lost their lives in the downpours and flooding that has followed. Set against that the drought that I have seen this year. In nearly twenty years I can only remember one such long dry spell, and that broke in the middle of August. Something is altering our weather, and it really does need governments around the world to get together to find out just what is going on. To take the Trump line that he will only do something to help if he can see an advantage for the USA is quite alarming. This is not just a problem for a single country, and although Trump will have gone in the next few years, he could leave behind a dreadful legacy.

8. superhorns

Some of the people that died were near me in La Manga. The Murcia airport is now open but I’m not sure the motorway is passable yet. Might have to miss all of game tomorrow in case we have a long detour to airport. I was driving through one of the worst hit villages just hours before cars thrown around like toys.

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

All quite scary when you see the pictures. Maybe you should write a letter to your mate Trump and tell him to get his act together and sign the Paris Accord on climate change.

10. superhorns

I’ll ask Nige to have a word when I see him.

11. colognehornet

Would you like to expand upon the 'Normal UK superiority' bit ? It may have been meant as a bit of a joke, or wind up, but my fear is that some Brexiteers actually believe this bit. I thought that the idea 'my country is naturally the best' was something which history had outgrown - like an infantile illness. But I do believe that some Brexiteers are bothered by a relationship amongst 'equals' such as France and Germany and would prefer to go back to the days of the Raj in India.

12. superhorns

The UK’s growth has been far superior to the EU average over many years, this will be resumed after Brexit.

13. superhorns

Just spoke to an aged local, he reckoned this latest gotta fria was no worse than any other in his lifetime.

14. colognehornet

Are you not forgetting the state of the UK. economy prior to joining the EU. ? All of our growth has taken place within the EU and there are good reasons for that.

15. superhorns

The main reason was the attractiveness of the UK economy and business friendly attitude. The UK will continue to be the first choice for outside investment.

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

When I read comments like this I feel sure that you must have a collection of stock phrases. If I have heard it once............
    Why don't you actually try and engage with some well thought out comments, instead of reverting to this hackneyed rubbish. It is very boring.

17. superhorns

It is only boring because we have had the same discussions many times. I know it dosen’t fit in with your anti UK agenda. I find your desperate rubbish mutterings against the democratic referendum equally boring. Your should be more concerned with France facing a barrage of strikes next week following the paralysis of Paris yesterday. Your adopted country has far more long term problems than the UK.

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I think this proves my point rather well. Nothing new, just the same old rants. Practicing your Spanish on someone would be rather more profitable.

19. superhorns

The French are always striking.......:emoticon-0136-giggl

20. colognehornet

If Britain goes along its present course of having a government which boasts of its ability to bypass parliament (and thus the representatives of the people) then you will end up with a general strike in the UK.