1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The General Football Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Quite possibly, all done now though and nothing can be done it, as I just mentioned on the other thread, reaching the cup final more than made up for the Be'er Sheva debacle.

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Of course, all water under the bridge.

Libby likes this.
  3. TheSecondStain

4. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

So will the Irish, N Irish, Welsh and Scottish!Actually, scrap the last one, that ain't gonna happen

5. TheSecondStain

Well, if people will associate with the English. Watch the programme and you'll see that the Russians have a special 'respect' for the English and so will be giving them special treatment.

6. thebronze14

Will do now

7. TheSecondStain

Tell me what you think.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

A major tournament is definitely on my list to do one day but you wouldn't get me to Russia for anything. **** that.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    TheSecondStain likes this.
  9. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

That Russian respect could be seen in the Euros when their lot went charging through the squares with hoods up and scarves over their noses and mouths.

10. TheSecondStain

Yes, there was a point where one of the England fans referred to the Russians as cowards, because they covered their faces. I'm sure it wasn't that. It was just a method of having their violence and being able to get away with it time and again without being identified.

11. thebronze14

Scary stuff! Absolute pondlife. If ireland do get there it will be very different to France anyway and not the same fun. I would like to avoid england if I'm honest in host cities as there is more chance of becoming a target.It wouldn't stop me travel but if I were an English fan id not be so sure. Although there were many horror stories before ukraine and it seemed fine

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

You won't be as much as a target for them to be fair, a lot of countries just want to have a pop at the English... only our own past to blame for that unfortunately.

Russia 2018 is going to be a ****ing nightmare though. Look at the havoc they caused in France with a few thousand travelling... think what it's going to be like over there when they can't stop people travelling and any old thug can just leave their front door and go and join in. Going to be absolute chaos. I think it could be our lowest numbers travelling for years tbh.

I'd wouldn't want to be a fan of an African nation travelling there <yikes>

13. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

That's what I'm thinking. I reckon the tournament in Russia will be extremely well policed, and with the whole world watching, there'll be very little trouble. Except maybe from the police themselves. Probably best not to do anything that might antagonise that lot.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

You say that but a quick bit of research shows that there was more trouble at Euro 2012 than reported at the time. Including fans from Russia, Poland, Croatia etc. I'm sure if I dug hard enough I'd find some involving England & Ukraine too.

Agree the police might be a bit of a nightmare <yikes> I read recently they are planning on drunk tanks to sober people up who are too drunk. That could be.... let's say interesting.

Think the difference with Russia as well is the sheer numbers, though Putin won't want any negative press about Russia itself. Might be a case of trying to cover a lot of it up.

15. Archers Road

Tricky one. I've always fancied a trip to Russia. I have no desire to end up in hospital or the clink, obviously, but I wouldn't be hanging around outside bars much, nor lobbing plastic chairs at the cops, so I reckon It'd be alright. Any large group of England fans drinking and singing, however good naturedly, would probably be a target, but that's not really my thing anyway.

I'm thinking about it. One of my mates who is also thinking of going is black, so I reckon if he's not intimidated, I shouldn't be. There were all sorts of horror stories circulating before Poland and The Ukraine, but that tournament seems to have passed off trouble free, though as you say, there may have been isolated incidents we didn't get to hear about.

Libby likes this.
  16. Archers Road

This quote from a Guardian article sums up what I suspect happened in The Ukraine, and will probably happen in Russia...

Despite the unsubstantiated claims of Kremlin involvement, many hooligans believe they will be subjected to strong measures before the tournament. “What’s most likely [to] happen [is] they will just take down all leaders, all people who are capable of organising anything and just lock them down,” Denis said.

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

Fair point, and I quite fancy a trip to Russia one day, but like you say if I went there is no way I'd be congregating outside the bars singing GSTQ smashed out of my head. Have to keep your wits about you in a place like that.

Good point in your next post as well about going for ringleaders before the tournament. Still think it will be worse than Poland/Ukraine though. A lot could depend on the political situation near the time and what teams qualify etc.

Qatar would be an interesting one... I just hope this ****ty multiple hosts thing doesn't catch on like they're doing for Euro 2020... terrible idea.

I read somewhere that they're planning on taking 2030 to Uruguay to celebrate 100 years. I'd quite fancy that.

18. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Although I'd like that, it's not air on Claude - he's got us to a Cup Final....

.... :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Are the Russians going to suspend their visa system....at the moment you have to personally apply at the Russian Embassy.

20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

That. Luke be where they decide to beat the **** out of you amd leave you in a back alley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.