1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The General Football Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

**** knows, we're in new territory really.

If the ref doesn't abandon it at the next instance I hope we walk off.

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I'm listening to this. They have to start abandoning these matches. Not just threatening to do so. It's often all a big joke, but there is a groundswell of this awful attitude that needs to be addressed with education. Football can't address this alone. This needs serious researrch and education, otherwise it'll only get worse.

3. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Nazi salutes as well :angry:

4. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would really boost her confidence, a haggard 52 year old alcoholic trying to sit on her lap and stick his tongue down her throat...

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  5. TheSecondStain

By the way, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some of the England "fans" joined in with the racist chants. They aren't saints [pun not intended] all of a sudden.

6. Libby

Libby 9-0

You think our away support would join in with monkey chants directed at their own players? Nonsense.

7. TheSecondStain

They are football supporters. I put nothing past them.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Nothing? Rape, murder?

Hope you've never sat on a jury.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  9. TheSecondStain

Look. One week they are supporting England. The next week, the player they are cheering now is playing for the opposition. So they join in with the chants. I wasn't born yesterday. There is no code of conduct in football supporters. I got out of watching football because of the disgusting behaviour from football supporters.

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

So you think that England fans away from home join in with monkey chants directed at their own players in the stadium?

You're first sentence is so irrelevant it's embarrassing. Anything to back up this ludicrous accusation?

Saints Fan4Life likes this.

11. TheSecondStain

Happens all the time. Why do you think the football authorities continue with anti-racist programmes in the UK?

12. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

TSS, I doubt they joined in the chants but they probably voted Brexit! Haha

Actually, I think we should try to think the best of people. I bet even lots of Bulgarians were embarrassed by that.

Oh, and people keep talking about a global shift to the right. Sorry to point this out but the global norm for the past 40,000 years has been on the right. In fact, aside from 50 years after ww2, Liberal politics is a freak occurrence. One I would like to come back now, please :(

13. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

I think TSS isn't saying our own supporters will direct racist changing at our own fans tonight.

I think he's saying they will in the coming weeks and months when the same players are playing as opposition to their club team.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

If it happens all the time then you won't struggle to provide an example of England fans engaging in monkey chants towards their own players during a match then. Crack on.

There's still undoubtedly an issue of racism within British football, and society as a whole, but it's very isolated in comparison to a lot of other European nations where you get widespread chanting and it's very ingrained.

To go from that to suggesting England fans in the ground tonight would be joining in the chants is ridiculous - and frankly insulting - on a night when we've done ourselves proud as a nation.

Equating club rivalry to racism as well is argubably the most ridiculous comparison I've ever read on this board.

15. TheSecondStain

Yeah, I've heard this stuff before. It still won't surprise me if England supporters joined in. You have more hope in people's behaviour than I currently do. That's pretty much what it boils down to.

16. Schrodinger's Cat

I think crowds are pretty good at self policing these days, certainly better than in days gone by. There are always isolated incidents happening, but it doesn't seem to be taken up by larger sections of the crowd and it is often stopped pretty quickly.

It's Only A Game likes this.
  17. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I think you might be on the wrong forum :emoticon-0100-smile

18. TheSecondStain

Well I have left twice before to do other things. Luckily the most thriving part of the forum is not football orientated. :)

Racism shouldn't be part of sport. Climate change shouldn't be part of our daily life, Politics ought to be fairer to those least able to cope. None of these things are the case. That's where my interest mainly lies here. These subjects just happen to occur on this forum. And I think it is all the better forum for it.

If Saints do well that's a very nice bonus.

19. Schrodinger's Cat

I think though TSS, that it is a tiny minority who are openly racist. I usually find that out of every 100 people I meet, at least10 are twats, and out of that 10, there might be a couple who are not only racist but brave (I don't mean brave in any good sense, obviously) enough to be open about it in public.
    That would equate to 600 people at St Mary's, and I've never seen or heard that for 20 years or more

20. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Racism inside football grounds is IMO pretty well policed in this country nowadays. Even the knuckle draggers have got the message, decent people will not tolerate it. The increase in abuse is on social media where people can still get away with it.