1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Law and Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Apr 8, 2020.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I’m working from home and have been out only to do shopping or take stuff to my dad (he’s 86).
    ...... except for walking my dog.

All the local parks are closed, apart from a local area called Lawn Woods. Before the crisis I walked my dog there often, but now, with the closure of Coate Water and other local beauty spots it’s become packed with people.
    Because of this - and in the interest of staying isolated - I’ve been driving out of the town (just a couple of miles at most) to walk along isolated public footpaths - the Ridgeway is a good example.
    Some of my friends have accused me of breaking the law, but a) I can’t find anything to say it’s illegal and b) surely it’s better to go somewhere remote, rather than fight my way through a packed urban area? I can’t spread or catch the virus in my car and if I dont meet anyone (or very few people) that’s got to be a good thing, surely?
    I genuinely don’t want to break the law and I feel some common sense is needed - but more important is the need to keep away from other people as much as possible.
    Am I doing wrong? If so then please explain how undertaking a daily walk in a packed urban area is better for everyone than walking on the isolated Ridgeway? Also please send a link or proof to it being actually illegal? All I can find is ‘advise’ to not travel unless necessary. I consider avoiding groups of people at this time pretty necessary tbh.
    Genuine question.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I think your mates are telling the truth. I think it came around because people driving to remote places was seen as an issue. Like the people driving to the beaches, Snowdonia and Peak Districts.
    So they said you can drive within a certain mileage round your home address.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52062209

also this famous newspaper gives some information

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11327266/can-you-drive-exercise-lockdown-rules/

3. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

We cannot drive a car to take a walk with or without a dog.
    Should you have an accident driving then you will take up time from the emergency services.

4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

With one of my hobbies I get information and requests from the emergency services plus rescue services mountain/underground etc.
    As rod / rp says ...they request you do not drive any distance to participate in any leisure [ I use leisure to cover all aspects ] outdoor activities.

A car accident may not be your fault [ there has been a higher ratio of accidents to driven miles over the past week apparently ] an accident would at the very least involve 6-8 emergency crew or more. To go to hospital would tie up precious staff and possibly a bed or more.
    What might you do when you have driven somewhere isolated? ...........Well an injury or fall [ walking] would again involve"rescue" . Especially if off/on a mountain /moorland route .. and should there be no phone signal involve dozens of searchers! looking for you WHEN YOU FAILED TO TURN UP... SO DO NOT DRIVE to any where not essential ….

Walks .. I don't know what area you live in, but I know Swindon quite well. Other than the old town [town hall fire station area] housing is reasonably spaced out [ built before 2003 ] I am a bit lucky I can do a 2.5 mile round trip walk taking in a woodland on an old tip [ stopped 25 years ago +]. However I can do 2.5 miles around my estate go via different roads cul de sac linkways etc ..5 pm - 6pm seems a good time …. its all on hard paths, tonight I did 1.5 miles with our little yorkie around the houses saw a dozen or more peeps most move to 2m or cross the road …. yesterday 2.5 miles the woodland route...
    unfortunately we have to play with cards we are dealt,

5. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I'm only going out for shopping, but it seems there are more and more people out walking (with or without Dogs) and driving on the roads every time I venture out.
    Even queuing to get into the supermarkets, some people stay 2 metres apart, others insist on taking 5-10 metres or more which just lengthens the queue size.
    I've come to the conclusion that people who continue to flock to public parks and beaches are just irresponsible idiots and they should all be really heavily fined to make examples of them. And you can bet it will happen again this weekend with it being Easter and decent weather being forecast.

They're either plain stupid or they think they're bulletproof. A £5k fine might make them stay home because the mandate from the Government doesn't seem to be making any difference.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  6. bcfcredandwhite

I live in Old Town JGF.
    Lawn Woods is the closest large outdoor space where I can let my German Shepherd have a run about - but it’s packed with people.
    Also within easy walking distance I have the Cycle Path (packed with people).
    A 5 minute drive takes me out of town to the open plains of the Ridgeway - where we might see 2 people in an hour.
    I hear what you are saying about taking a risk of having an accident, but what about the risk of catching or spreading the virus?
    I’m seriously troubled about this. It seems I’m damned whatever I do or don’t do, so the health and safety of my dad must take priority over everything. He is the most vulnerable member of my family right now and I see him a couple of times per week.

Thanks for your replies.

7. johngalleyfan2

I used to deliver DELL computers to/ in /and around SWINDON in the 90's my last call of the day was intel where I would pick up about £4m -£6m of chips etc to go to Ireland I had 4 routes one was to the A419 one was WROUGHTON one was old town to jct 16 one was to ? but took me to 16 ..bit vague now. BUT ALL QUITE OPEN SPACE!
    The route to the A41 was past the VAN sales and a roundabout onto 419 [ fly over now?] A friend of mine used to walk from around there to wanborough also up to the telecoms tower Foxhill? some times to ashbury or along the ridge and sometimes back / or around Chiseldon and back into Swindon over the motorway … most of his walks were about 4-6 hours and I would speak with him between drops on 2m radio …
    PROBABLY ALL CHANGED now built up? but must be path's etc still

KEEP SAFE

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  8. bcfcredandwhite

I know all those places. Very nice. The van centre is still there but the new hospital is very close (the old PMH closed several years ago).

9. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

John , did you work out of Aztec west when delivering DELL computers? ,

10. AshtonRed

Imo you are fine driving 5 mins to walk the dog in a secluded area as walking in a crowded area where you are unable to social distance is not advisable, the whole point is to exercise SAFELY . The rules set out on this are ambiguous, they are meant to be, they don’t want large groups of people travelling to beaches parks or beauty spots to exercise, but going a couple of miles to ensure you social distance in my opinion is sensible, as for the possibility of an accident , that is not the point of the rules , they are to prevent the spread of the virus, ie staying in and exercising whilst social distancing. As for seeing your dad twice a week , you shouldn’t , contact should be using technology but not in person .

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020

11. Redprintt

Morning Ashton.
    The rules on driving away from your home are very clear.
    You just can't unless for food or medical reasons.
    Friend of mine went 4 miles from his home to a beauty spot to walk his dog last week. Police were there waiting and telling him in a no uncertain way to return home immediately.
    Tbf the first few days of the lock down you were allowed. I used to take Mrs R to Deerleap on Mendip with a flask of coffee but not anymore.
    You/we all run the risk of an accident and that has serious consequences for the emergency services.

RedorDead likes this.
  12. AshtonRed

So they may have done, but the rules don’t say you can’t , as you can see from the clip from the Andrew Marr show (ROD’s previous post) when Matt Hancock was asked the specific question he didn’t say so, the bit about having an accident isn’t part of the rules either as far as I’m aware , R&W’s point about walking his dog in an area he would find it impossible to social distance is a valid one. The whole point of the rules is to prevent spread and if you knowingly exercise and are unable to social distance you shouldn’t do it . There is far more detrimental effects from exercising and not social distancing than driving a short distance and being able to social distance.

You are only supposed to exercise taking a flask is not really exercising, unless you drink it whilst walking/running etc, there is no specific rule to say you can’t drive a short distance and then exercise.

There was an article on tv yesterday in the Lake District where a police vehicle pulled a car with a surf board on the roof, and made the occupants return home, they had travelled 80 miles, the police checked the car reg to see where the car was registered before stopping them, it’s about common sense.

13. Redprintt

I've just listened to Matt Hancock's interview and I can't see where he's not clear.
    Might be me but I think it's clear what we can and cannot do.

14. AshtonRed

The advice says to exercise local , but doesn’t define local or whether you can use your car , when asked specifically Matt Hancock could have just said no, he didn’t he gave a politicians answer about sticking to the rules , that’s because the rules don’t stop you , they want us to use common sense , plainly if everyone does what R&W is doing it wouldn’t work , but as it is he can go there and exercise whilst social distancing therefore for now he’s fine.

what they are trying to allow is exercise whilst social distancing, everyone’s circumstances are different so it’s difficult to set specific rules, that’s why the rules are ambiguous, my point is if the best way at this moment to be able to achieve this is what he’s doing he’s within the rules .

15. Redprintt

Your penultimate paragraph from your previous post.
    OK I don't think it's law.
    However specific advice from the government is you shouldn't drive to walk or exercise.
    You mention the idiots in the Lake District - it's because people like that who ruin it for folk like us.

Not sure what you meant in the last line of your latest post.
    If you mean R&W is OK to drive with his dog to exercise then I think your interpretation is, with respect, wrong.
    Ps not sure which post I'm referring to as you've just edited. Hope it's making sense

16. johngalleyfan2

yep

17. AshtonRed

IEC?

18. johngalleyfan2

it is considered by the emergency services, ALL of them as a valid reason not to drive ..

at great expense the government ensured every household had delivered to the letterbox of every home /2nd home etc it states you cant do ……. etc
    there is now no excuse... you cant say haven't had it …. that's why the clamp down from midnight [ or before by police ] is in effect.. reiterated this am …. the police have ALL the powers they need under the act to arrest close down confiscate
    fine etc...……..

all part of the anpr which is super active at the moment ...also using it where second ..holiday homes are car registered 100 miles away ...knock knock … "we are aware your vehicle is registered at ???? address .. do you have any identity ah so you are the owner .. please be aware you cannot drive and your nearest shop in the village with a chemists is just a 2 min walk …….

it wont be part of the rules as it is a consequence of the act of doing ….

19. johngalleyfan2

yep

20. AshtonRed

Me too, I must know you