1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 17th May)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 17, 2024.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Friday 17th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

We're halfway there

Leeds booked their place in the Championship play-off final at Wembley in style, after obliterating Norwich City at Elland Road last night.

Roared on by another sell out crowd, it didn't take the hosts long to rediscover their mojo; apparently, it had been living in plain slight in Beeston all along, but now that they have it back, they'll be desperate not to mislay it again!

Ghosts were put to bed as early at the 7th minute when Ilea Gruev's cheeky nearside free-kick caught Angus Gunn napping. Not only was it his first of the season, but Leeds first goal (direct from a free kick) in three years (Phillips v West Brom on the final day of the 20/21 season was the last time).

The Whites doubles their advantage on 20 minute, with Piroe heading Gnonto's looping cross across goal. Despite Gunn's best efforts, and Duffy stood on the goal-line, neither were able to keep his effort out.

Minutes later, Norwich had an opportunity (their best of the match) to reduce the deficit. An uncharacteristic error from Ampadu let Sargent in on goal, only for Meslier to pull off a blinding save.

On 40 minutes Leeds made it three. Following his surging run from midfield, Piroe picked out Summerville in the Norwich penalty area. Heavily marked by three defenders, he was able to pick out Rutterat the back post, as he fell to the ground. Rutter's first time effort into the roof of the net was his first major contribution for ten games, and the shot in the arm crucially needed for his confidence.

It was more one way traffic after the break. Only last ditch defending and goal keeping heroics from Gunn kept the scoreline relatively respectable; that was until the 68th minute when Summerville got in on the act.

Gunn could only palm away Gnonto's initial shot. Firpo kept the ball in play, and unselfishly cut it back to the edge of the six yard box where Summerville was on target to make the game absolutely safe.

please log in to view this image

Saints or West Brom in the final

Leeds fans can now relax, get the popcorn out (ok, beer) and scrutinise their Wembley opponents, whoever it may be. Both sides have beaten the Whites this season (Southampton twice), but if the Whites can turn in a performance like they did last night, their's little doubt in my mind at least, that they'll find themselves back in the top flight next season.

Who would you like Leeds to smash in the final and which team is weaker?

please log in to view this image

2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Just managed to get to see game last night, hospital situation taking up inordinate amounts of my time now but what a performance. A distraction that was most welcome in our house. One question Ive been asking myself, if that Norwich team is sixth best or whatever in Championship and they obviously are, what are the rest like. I can't remember seeing a more gutless inept performance from any team in a two leg play of. Their fans must be disgusted. Anyway, who cares. Ive it recorded and will watch again when Ive a couple of hours free over weekend

3. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

Morning Leeds fans!!!!!!

Bloody hell! Be honest, who saw that coming?

Like the Leeds we've been used to (for most of) this season. Can't fault them, well I can, if anything we should have had at least 8 goals.

The BIG question now is - can we do it again in ten days time? Of course we bloody can! What a time to get our form back. Will now be watching West Brom v Saints with interest, hoping for a few red cards and I apologise to no-one when I say I'd love to see a few big players injured (only enough to miss one game, I'm not a monster!!).

WEMBERLEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

4. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

To be fair they've not been that bad all season. All four teams have entered the play-offs in poor form. We stepped up when it mattered, they didn't.

Marcos Barber, OLOF and Eireleeds1 like this.
  5. DJMarl

DJMarl Well-Known Member

6. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

I predicted this. The Gods were only going to be satisfied with destroying our mental well being by inflicting another play off final defeat. Making us lose in the semi would have been so much less fun for them.

7. Brizzlewhite

Brizzlewhite Well-Known Member

I'd prefer West Brom TBH. Southampton can turn it on when required.

8. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

Me ... I told Matt it would be 3-0 because Norwich couldn't improve on their first leg performance, but Leeds had at least another 80% they could find

We have some terrific players, support them, don't bash them

9. leeds down south

leeds down south Well-Known Member

Hopefully get WBA in the final. Be nice for the 2 losing semi finalists of 2019 to meet at Wembley.

10. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

Morning all,
    Will there be VAR in the final?

Makemstine Roger likes this.

11. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Unfortunately yes

12. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Afternoon all,

That was a bit good wasn't it?

No coincidence that that performance coincided with Gruev & Kamara having their best game since before the international break.

All the players deserve credit for that but special mention go to the two I've named above along with-

Piroe- Hardest he has worked in a leeds shirt and played more like Bamford then his usual self. Again no coincidence the team played better therefore.

Meslier - big game, big save. Could have been a game turning goal.

Firpo- for his faults he clearly gets the club and his unselfish assist last night was brilliant. A lot of players would have tried to smash that in but he had the mind to look up and see someone in a better position.

Cooper-- Captain, my Captain. A wonderful send off for a true great for us, even when not the best player at the club. To be topped off by lifting a trophy at Wembley.

foolee, blonogasoven, OLOF and 8 others like this.
  13. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh>:angry:

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Evening all

WBA in the final but we shouldn’t fear either based on last nights performance

Makemstine Roger and Wakey like this.
  15. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

If it is to be Soton, Farke needs to sit and watch both games against them this season, as Martin totally out coached him both times, our midfield was over run both games.

16. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

100% agree.

Makemstine Roger and Gessa like this.
  17. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Does not really matter, the Gods have decided. More human anguish if we lose than S’ton.

18. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I don’t think he out coached Farke at all. Russell Martin sticks to his game plan that worked against us. He plays high risk / high reward so he plays a lot around his back four / five. When they went on their losing runs it was because they lost the ball close to goal and their opponents scored. We tried to press in the final third unsuccessfully so once past they could get at our DCM and defence. We just need to be smarter about how many we commit to this press. That said they have played us off the park twice.

Marcos Barber likes this.
  19. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

Ooooh-oooh, living on a payer....take my hand and we'll make it elsewhere......

But then again Jon Bon Jovi also said that it doesn't make a difference if we make it or not.

Leedsoflondon likes this.
  20. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

He changed to a back 5 at ER and it worked a dream, with his full backs pressing ours back, creating space in midfield which they took full advantage of. They gave us a lot more possession second half, which we did very little with.

NostradEmus likes this.