1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 13th June)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 13, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Monday 13th June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds to miss out on Minamino

Leeds have fallen behind Wolves and Monaco in the pecking order, in their pursuit of Japanese International Takumi Minamino. No fewer than six top flight outfits have shown an interest in the Liverpool forward, though it was hoped that the lure of linking back up with former Manager Jesse Marsch may have given Leeds an advantage over their competition.

Unfortunately for the Whites, if media reports are to be believed, Leeds may have to turn their attention elsewhere, with Blackburn's Ben Brereton Diaz being widely tipped as a replacement target.

please log in to view this image

Bookies predict another miserable campaign for the Whites

Bookies are predicting another long, gruelling and miserable season for the Whites next term. This will be unwelcome news for Leeds fans, still recovering from nervous exhaustion following nine months of sheer hell following their previous campaign!

The nucleus of the Leeds squad are no longer strong enough; injuries have taken its toll and age has caught up with many others. To give them credit, the ER hierarchy have worked tirelessly hard over the past four weeks, bringing in Brenden Aaronson and Rasmus Kristensen; as well as lining up countless others. It's fair to say that Radrizzani has a rebuilding project on his hands, but the foundations are in place.

It will be no surprise to see the three teams promoted to the top flight to struggle next season, as they go toe to toe with some of the World's elite. In fact, Bookies believe Fulham (6/5), Nottingham Forest (8/11) and Bournemouth (8/13) are on a one way course back to the Championship, but Leeds fare little better. Jesse Marsch's team, along with Brentford (who Leeds beat on the final day of the season to guarantee their top flight status) will be fighting it out for 16th and 17th place respectively (both 5/2 to go down). If you're feeling confident, Bet365 are offering odds of 9/2 on Leeds to finish next season in the top half!

Roca poised to sign

Marc Roca is poised to become Leeds third signing of the season after snubbing several advances from La Liga clubs, according to Spanish media outlet 'Marca'. The former Espanyol playmaker is reportedly keen to join the Whites, and with Bayern Munich amenable to Leeds offer, thought to be in the region of £11m, a deal to bring him to Elland Road could be concluded early this week.

At 25, Roca is keen for first team football; something the German Champions were unable to offer on a regular basis. In two years at the Allianz Arena, Roca has only featured 24 times, though Bayern Manager Julien Nagelsmann has nothing but praise for the Leeds bound star:-

“We know he’s a good footballer, but the way he fought and gave everything was impressive. I love the kind of players who prove the coach wrong and show him it was a mistake not to play them often.

2. Mr Wolves-White

Mr Wolves-White Well-Known Member

Morning all

If we miss out on Minaimino I reckon we'll have to jump back in the market for another winger. Poveda is set to leave from what I understand and Costa is crap. Hopefully Orta has a list of Wingers up his sleeve.

Every season is long a grueling however we're at the start of the window and we've got about 10 weeks to bring in the players we need so I'll judge where we'll end when the window closes.

Hopefully we'll get Roca done by Friday. we need to bring in a lot of players this summer or we'll be stuck in the same position we were in at the end of last season. This window is make or break for us.

southernwhite likes this.
  3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Poveda in my opinion is similar standard to Costa. Usual question though is who'll take them on and at what cost. We don't tend to make a whole lot from players who move on do we

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  4. Mr Wolves-White

Mr Wolves-White Well-Known Member

Poveda I think will go to a decent Championship club. When he wasn't injured he did really well at Blackburn. Costa on the other hand is a different question. If he's been as bad as he's made out to be at Valencia.

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Davies will be all profit and so too on Shackelton, Poveda. Anything over £3m on Roberts is all profit…… but the profits on these 4 will still mean a loss more than likely on Costa which was a bad deal at £17m

6. Eireleeds1

Do you believe we’d get more than 3m for Roberts. Surely unless it’s a pl club signing him that would be the max. Can’t see him playing above championship to be honest. Maybe I’m being too hard on him

Whitejock and Doc like this.
  7. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

The World Cup in Nov/Dec will bring an added complication.

Depending on selection we'll possibly have 9 players invlolved.

Phillips
    James
    Roberts
    Raphinha
    Klich
    Llorente
    Koch
    Aaronson
    Kristensen

How those players perform when the going gets tough in Jan/Feb/March will likely have a a msssive bearing on our season. There's also the factor that KP & Raph may no longer be with us of course.

Just for context though isn't it amazing that we'll have so many players going to a WC considering we were in the Championship and going nowhere just a few seasons ago.

Marcos Barber and southernwhite like this.
  8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Could also be Bamford and Rodrigo too mate

9. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Big match for @Eric Le Merde this evening.

Australia v Peru for a place at the WC.

The game's being played in Doha with a 7pm KO (UK time)

Eric Le Merde likes this.
  10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

If Kalvin Phillips goes to Man City, what are peoples views? Mine is that Kalvin a Leeds lad would have preferred to spend his career at Leeds, but events have taken over. He was very close to Bielsa and almost a father figure to him. I believe his relationship with the club and a couple of players was damaged when Bielsa was sacked. He also knows how much Pep learned from Bielsa and the regard Pep has for his old friend and mentor. Phillips will expect Pep to improve his game and I also believe his time with England has shown he has friends in the City camp especially Jack Grealish. Quite a few people now believe City will put in a big offer and we will accept it. Phillips played a very good cameo for England ghe other night and looked back to his best. If he stays brilliant, but no hard feelings from me if he goes

hemase, leeds60, NostradEmus and 3 others like this.

11. Eireleeds1

No hard feelings either but if Grealish went for 100m we should be asking for close to that and put the money into ground redevelopment immediately. The extra 20k at every home game would help us eventually be able to compete in the top half of the table. Downside is if both Philips and Rapha both go its difficult to see us doing much better than the last one

southernwhite and Doc like this.
  12. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Personally Doc, if he goes he goes because I really think the hype surrounding him has been over the top. Let's be honest city are buying titles and Pep has always had money at all the clubs he's been at. We can't compete money wise and the days of players like Le Tissier who was the enbodiment of loyalty well those days are well and truly gone. Of course I don't blame him for wanting to win things and at the same time be paid mad money, but please supporters stop with the he's loyal to Leeds, born in Leeds, family supports Leeds because it means nothing. <ok>

leeds60, OLOF, southernwhite and 4 others like this.
  13. Irishshako

I hate to say this, but maybe Grealish cost more because he is more creative and scores goals. I can't stand him and I wish Philips had picked better people to associate with. The other thing is that I don't think any players are worth the obscene money in todays game. But city have a bottomless pit and can pay whatever is asked. 40 0r 50 million maybe but 100 million is a joke. <ok>

14. Eireleeds1

The cash has ruined every sport but too late for that trend to be reversed sadly. Still think that given Philips got player of the year for England or whatever it was that 60m is too cheap. Irrelevant I suppose because it all depend on how the money is reinvested. You could buy three Raphinhas with it but you cold also buy three Costas

Irishshako and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  15. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't read too much into the Bielsa thing. Despite the PR machine glossing over it, KP was very ready to leave for Villa at the end of the Bielsa's first year. It will be a love of club/family v career decision and i personally would have no beef whatever he does. In all honesty, objectively, i think he should go for his career.

Whitejock, hemase and NostradEmus like this.
  16. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20220613_103859_com.android.chrome.jpg

Jammy 07 likes this.
  17. 1964white

1964white Well-Known Member

Clearly not good enough, Eire.

Last season he was playing at his level in the championship.

Eireleeds1 and Irishshako like this.
  18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

22 years ago today Alfie left us and signed for Man City and today Alfies lad is having his medical at City and becomes a City player, even though Erling was born in Leeds and a Leeds fan….

19. Irishshako

I just don't think he is as good as what people say. He did a job for Bielsa and the team, but has he got any other way to play. He may find it easier playing in a team like city because there will be better players around him.<ok>

20. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Morning all if kalvin wants to win something then he should move on. He will not play champions league or win the league with us. I think we are already spending his or raphinhas transfer fees.