1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th February)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Feb 24, 2020.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Monday 24th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road.

Leeds stretch lead to 5 points over play off rivals

Leeds stretched their lead over their play off hopefuls to five points thanks to a moment of magic from their veteran talisman Pablo Hernandez on the hour mark.

Bizarrely, apart from the automatix two, only Preston and Swansea were the only teams in the top 17 in the Championship to record victories.

As expected Leeds dominated the majority of the game, with the visitors getting 10 men behind the ball to try and frustrate the Whites, then attacking on the break.

1.jpg
    The Royals almost stole a point in injury time when Liam More's turn and shoot bought out a fine save from Casilla.

Phillips injury not as bad as expected

The first half was marred by Kelvin Phillips hobbling off the pitch 10 minutes before half time. The inspirational defensive midfielder came off worse following a heavy challenge from Reading's Omar Richards.

After the game, Arsenal legend Ian Wright took to Instagram to show concern for the future England star:-

“Hope it’s not too serious KP,” he commented.

“All good Wrighty just a dead calf thanks mate,” the Leeds ace replied.

This was certainly a lot clearer than Bielsa's statement concerning the health of the 24yo. When asked about the health of his inspirational midfielder, the Argentine answered :-

”I think it’s a kick.

“I don’t know if it’s serious or not.” With respect, a Millwall fan could have told us that!

please log in to view this image

Bielsa's post match pres conference

What is going through Augustin's mind?

I think most fans would agree that having taken the lead against Reading, it was going to be extremely unlikely that the Royals we were going to get anything from the game. You might even say it would be the perfect time to bring on Augustin!

The 15-20m rated forward signed for Leeds almost a month ago, and has been limited to a couple of cameo roles due to an apparent lack of fitness.

With Bamford less likely to score than David Batty in a penalty shoot out you'd think that having gone one - nil up, it would have been the perfect opportunity to give Augustin some game time to a) offer something different up front and b) assist with the fitness of Augustin.

If you were in the French mans shoes, how would you be feeling that you were not getting any game time due to Bamfords current form?

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all...

Good result and another clean sheet, not seeing the game and reading comments on here I thought Kiko had pulled off some worldly save, having seen it I agree it was a good save but surely expected or has our opinion of Kiko got so low we get excited about anything he manages to stop?

The “Super Computer” predicts we’ll lose out on promotion to Brentford by goal difference, let’s hope it gets a virus.

If I were Augustin I’d be doing extra sessions to get fit, that’s all that is preventing him from playing, the ball is in his court as far as I’m concerned, shape up and be part of something special or tell the club they’ve wasted another £2m+ To his credit I’ve not read or heard anything suggesting he is complaining

3. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Tend to agree re. Kiko. I witnessed what I would call a routine save at the death, and a showboat save earlier in the match. Absolutely nothing to write home about. Which is good, I might add, as our defensive success earlier in the season was based on the team defending, not reliance solely on Kiko.

Also agree re. Augustin. Bielsa has consistently knocked Bamford's conversion rate, and yet he won't start Augustin. Tells you that Augustin has a fair bit of ground still to cover before he starts, far less be a permanent fixture. Opportunity is clearly there for him, and only he can grasp it.

4. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

After the last 2 months, any sign of vague competence and a clean sheet is worthy of commendation... if not the sickly fawning from the rooster on the highlights thread

NostradEmus likes this.
  5. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

If the Super Computer is anything like the Mega Compuer that the weather centre use, then we shall piss promotion.

6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Great win. Hopefully two more this week, Im being greedy. Who knows about Augustin any more than Pavada? Until they are regulars in first team they may be roaring successes or more to add to Orta cv in the ever growing one for the future column

2 pennth and NostradEmus like this.
  7. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Nice one Ell. Thanks for your work on Saturdayfor streams.

Re. Bamford. He played really well vs Bristol. Was bang average on Saturday again. I support the lad and appreciate the work he puts in but we need the goals. It winds me up that Nketiah is getting game time for Arsenal and getting on the scoresheet! Same will probably happen with Augustin. We'll get him up to speed for someone else to reap the benefits!

When do we find out about Kiko?

Winning and clean sheets are a habit. We are suddenly on a nice little run. Could do with riding this wave for a few more games. Get some points in the bag whilst all the others take points off each other.

8. Eireleeds1

Anyone else see Eddies finish for Arsenal yesterday? Something about the goal got me thinking. Arsenal player delivered a cracking cross from out wide and Eddie finished it sublimely. However our wingers are not producing that. Why? Is it because were too slow and patient in the build up? Bu the time we attempt a cross, the opposition have almost always had time to pack the penalty area. Everton weren't give that time yesterday. I believe if Eddie was playing wit us, he wouldn't have had that type of chance to finish. Curious to hear what you lot think.
    Here is the goal

9. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Morning everyone
    Totally agree with Ristac above about the Kiko save, as far as Augustin goes, as long as Bamford can get on the pitch no matter what his form, Augustin will not see 90 minutes in the first team, case in point look at Kiko's form, we have who looks like a cracking keeper in the wings, but can he get any first team experience/game time, no he can't. but you know what as long as we keep plugging away with squeaky bum 1-0 results, that will do for me no matter who's playing.

10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the opposition pack the box, I didn’t see the Eddie goals but if I had to guess I’d say they were Arsenal counter attacks at pace? It explains why the first goal is vital for us, it means the opposition have to venture forward a bit more. Every team that we play seem to play for the point, if they get a chance late on it’s like Christmas for them

11. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Bamford could have & would have kicked it a lot higher than that <laugh> Cracking finish though something were sadly lacking atm. Eddie will be some player in the next season or two.

Eireleeds1 and NostradEmus like this.
  12. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The Reading manager was complaining about the ref. He’d said before the game and to the 4th official any fouls against his team he wasn’t interested in playing the advantage, he wanted the free kick as they’d been practicing set pieces all week.

That speaks volumes of how teams think they have the best chance of beating us

Irishshako likes this.
  13. Eireleeds1

Point I’m making is we give the opposition time to pack the box with the number of passes we seem to take in final third

Farsleyexile, davy, ristac and 2 others like this.
  14. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

In his first start the previous weekend Nketiah missed a wide open goal, clipping the crossbar when it was easier to score. I don't get this love-in with an Arsenal player - he didn't suit our system, end of.

No point in changing our whole approach for a player who wasn't ours and who never would be ours.

Having said that we really shouldn't have signed him in the first place - complete waste of time and money.

leeds60, Infidel, Irishshako and 3 others like this.
  15. DJMarl

DJMarl Well-Known Member

Morning All

Good win on Saturday, and Pablo's goal was special IMO! Nice to see us start another run, hoping that it continues. As far as Bamford is concerned, he needs to be rested. I realise this may affect his confidence, but its very low as it is now, so why not give Augustin a chance at the very least play a half until Mr Stubborn deems him fit enough to play a whole 90 mins.

Cant remember who said this, (It was someone on Talksport breakfast, maybe Ray Parlour) but I think he was right in saying 'You cant get match fitness, unless you play in a match'!'. Sounds obvious, but definitely true IMO.

16. Eireleeds1

Not bothered with whether we should have kept him or not b ut are we creating clear cut chances for Bamford or any striker to finish?

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  17. FORZA LEEDS

Bamford gets plenty of clear cut chances, he's just useless at finishing them. However would those chances be created with Nketiah in the team instead of him? Not according to the small amount of evidence available from Nketiah's playing time with Leeds.

Irishshako, Whitejock and ristac like this.
  18. Leedsdude

Leedsdude Well-Known Member

Shocking, hadn't heard that. A free kick can take up to a minute to take, I'm sure that was part of his thinking too. The less time played means the less time Leeds have to attack.

19. FORZA LEEDS

Good question. The hearing was concluded last Wednesday.

All very strange.

20. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

Morning all. I have not seen anything from Augustin yet to suggest he is a £20 million pound player. Surely not being fully fit would hide his talent completely . Frame thisen lad.

Whitejock and ristac like this.