1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th April)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 27, 2020.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. Its Monday 27th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Premier League block potential 22 team top flight

The Premier League have blocked idea's for a 22 team top flight league next season. This raises severe concerns about Leeds and West Brom's promotion aspirations should the season fail to materialise!

Clubs for the top tier claim they are not keen on adding another four matches to what is already a congested roster, especially when the 2020/21 season is almost certain to start late.

Although both the Premier League and EFL have reiterated their desire to complete this season in full, the clock continues to tick. With each day that passes, the likelihood that the FA follow in the footsteps of the Dutch and Belgium leagues increases.
    please log in to view this image

Leeds ponder experience between the sticks

As Leeds continue to ponder whether to sign Illan Meslier on a permanent basis from French outfit Lorient, several media outlets claim the Whites may swoop for Premiership experience instead.

John Ruddy and Joe Hart, both respected keepers in their own rights have a wealth of top flight knowledge, and are both believed to be surplus to requirements at the present clubs.

It is unlikely that either player would command a transfer fee though wages demands would be in excess of £40,000 a week, roughly what Leeds currently pay Casilla!

Should Leeds keep faith with the former Real Madrid shot stopper or are his days numbered at Elland Road following his racism incident?

Meslier, obviously has impressed between the sticks since given an opportunity, but at 20yo, does he have the maturity to be able to showcase his talent on a weekly basis at the highest level? Is 5m for a 20yo keeper a gamble?

Who would replace Bielsa if Leeds fail to get promoted

In the worse case scenario that Leeds are not promoted to the promised land, it is likely that Marcelo Bielsa will depart West Yorkshire.

The 64yo Argentine's extension on his one-year deal comes to an end on the 28th May, after which he is free to leave the club if he wishes.

Whilst this is highly unlikely in the present circumstances, we need to remember that this time last year it was made clear before this season started that if Leeds aren’t playing Premier League football next year, Bielsa’s time at Elland Road would be coming to an end.

If he were to depart, who would you like to see in the hot seat?

2. lufctommo

lufctommo Well-Known Member

Good morning,

If we're worried about fixture congestion next year here's what I'd do:

*Scrap the League Cup. FA Cup games can be moved to these dates if needed.

*Scrap the idea of holding the Euros in 2021.

Next season could start as late as October and finish in late June. I'd always be in favour of doing anything we can to finish a season that's 80% done over one that hasn't started yet and could potentially be voided as well if we ever had a second wave.

southernwhite, ellandback and ristac like this.
  3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning Elland and all. Another busy week ahead <whistle>

Irishshako and ellandback like this.
  4. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Bielsa won't leave the job half done and will stay one more year if we are denied promotion this year. There will be hell to pay if we are screwed over again!!!!

5. Eric Le Merde

I suspect it will be quite a consequential week - morning all

Irishshako likes this.
  6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all...

The government want the country to have a feel good factor, they will make concessions to get this season finished behind closed doors. Throw in the legal and financial complications with both clubs and Sky TV and finishing this season is still on.

You can’t even consider next season at the moment, if you do, you need a latest start by date, this date can’t be behind closed doors either as it would effect budgets, contracts and signings for next season.

Finishing this season behind closed doors with a handful of games is one thing, it also negates legal and financial contractual complications. Starting next season behind closed doors is an entirely different matter.

If we decide next season has to start in October at the latest then 4 weeks to prepare means this season can end 31st July. Next season creates far more of a problem as I see it, not knowing if it would need to be behind closed or not is huge when it comes to teams financial planning

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    ellandback, Eireleeds1 and lufctommo like this.
  7. Eireleeds1

Next seasons games could be reduced by half easily if it had to be. It’s likely the authorities will be anxious to finish this seasons and present victimpool with their trophy but I’m not convinced there is same appetite to finish our division except among Leeds and west brom fans of course

8. 1964white

1964white Well-Known Member

Leeds without Bielsa is a frightening prospect!

southernwhite and Irishshako like this.
  9. lufctommo

lufctommo Well-Known Member

Imagine the atmosphere at the first game back if we were denied promotion.

southernwhite and Eric Le Merde like this.
  10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To finish the Premier League would mean you surely cannot have a champion or Euro qualifying without having relegation otherwise the bottom teams wouldn't care, so if there is releagtion you need promotion, there are so many complications with just ending it ‘as is’ so that’s another reason why they have to find a way to conclude this one. I've said it before, this is the 2019/2020 season so as long as it finishes in 2020 I don't see a problem. With the World Cup in 2022 this could be a chance to start the 2021 season at a time that would aid us in preperation for 2022

wakeybreakyheart likes this.

11. Eric Le Merde

Illan Meslier is the real deal. We should sign him whatever happens, end of.

12. Eireleeds1

Agree but I’d imagine prospects of lashing out 5m at this time when there’s no idea what division we’ll be in next season or what financial state of football will be , could be very unlikely. Another reason season needs finishing one way or the other so clubs can plan accordingly

Irishshako and Eric Le Merde like this.
  13. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good Morning to Matt and co from a sunny Bardsey
    Messlier is a no brainer but Hart no thanks
    I believe the season will be finished
    Ruddy will be lucky to get 10k next season as clubs tighten up
    Bielsa must be persuaded gto stay he may cost a lot but the money he saves the club more than lout weighs this

14. Eric Le Merde

We need to just keep the best and let the rest go

15. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

When they first stopped the season, I thought we may have to wait a few weeks till we get going again and I felt optimistic. But the longer this goes on, I just get a gut feeling that the season will be scrapped. If that happens I'd be really worried regarding what will happen to the club.<wah>

16. Eric Le Merde

If they do scrap the season they should at least start next season off with each team on the points they are now. Oh and Derby on -15 just because.

17. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

But as someone else pointed out. Closing a gap of seven points is far more difficult to do over 9 games than 46 (specially as the others in the top six play each other).

Eric Le Merde and Irishshako like this.
  18. Eireleeds1

Theres little doubt if season restarted, wed get promotion. The question is if. At moment its barely safe to step outside for a walk according to the government

19. Eireleeds1

Think you're right Shaks. Every club will be impacted to major extents. Hopefully ours will look a decent prospect to investors if Rads is forced to sell up

Irishshako likes this.
  20. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Personally and I know it's a selfish view, I would rather play the rest of the season behind closed doors and have those matches shown live at a cost, so at least clubs would get some sort of income in. I appreciate that this would depend on viewing rights. <ok>

southernwhite, davy, ristac and 5 others like this.