1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st June)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 1, 2023.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Thursday 1st June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Cooper wants to stay but do Leeds want him

Liam Cooper posted a heart felt message from his Instagram account last night, apologising unreservedly on behalf of himself and his team mates for their unacceptable and substandard efforts of last season. Coops, 31, spent much of last season on the sidelines, managing just 16 starts. Whilst his performances weren't as grim as some others, one wonders how he would cope with a gruelling and more physical Championship campaign?

He may have managed it (in style) three years ago, but time takes it's toll on the best of us. It's very easy to say we should keep the likes of Bamford, Cooper, Ayling, Dallas and Forshaw as squad players, but where does it stop? The club have some tough decisions to be made.

"A devastating few days and a tough couple months in front. I would like say sorry to everyone we failed. My club. Our unwavering supporters and my family. You the fans are the heartbeat of the club and we failed you. This will stay with me for a while but it will be soon time to write our next chapter. Through better decisions on and off the pitch I believe we can bounce back."

"I sit here right now not knowing in which direction the club will go in terms of players etc. What I will say is I will never turn my back on my club. Everything needs to be driven to get our great club back at the first time of asking. I know it’s difficult for everyone right now, but we can use this adversity to bring us all together come the start of the new season."

please log in to view this image

Should Bamford go this Summer

Elland Road journalist Phil Hay believes Patrick Bamford needs to cut ties with Leeds Utd and start afresh somewhere else next season. The 29yo has been plagued by injuries and fitness issues over the last two seasons. Even when wheeled onto the pitch, his team contributions have been found wanting, whilst woeful in front of goal.

Towards the business end of the season, he missed an empty net v Leicester City; then a few weeks later failed to convert his spot kick against Newcastle. This quickly turned into a hate campaign, with hundreds of fans taking to social media to vent their anger and frustrations at the crestfallen striker.

Is Bamford really to blame? Leeds have very limited options up front! Although Rodrigo has been banging in the goals this season, persistent injuries have started to take its toll, and at 32, is beginning to slow down.

According to Phil Hay “Leeds might have to think about saving Patrick Bamford from himself. This has been another extremely difficult year for him and there are surely only so many times you can dangle him in front of a crowd who are trying to be patient but seriously struggling. It will look ridiculous if next season continues in the same vein."

Leeds intend to stick with Rutter

Five months after joining, and nothing to show for his endeavours, Georginio Rutter's time at Elland Road has been far from inspiring, yet, according to Phil Hay, Leeds intend to keep their record signing, and unleash him on the Championship next season.

Signing him for so much, at such a young age was always going to be a gamble. Prior coming to Elland Road, he had built up almost 1300 minutes of game time under his belt (at Hoffenheim), during which he scored twice, and provided two assists. He finished 26th in the Leeds ratings, with only Gelhardt, Klich and Joseph below him! Will he be good enough for the Championship, or should Leeds cut their losses now?

"Arguably the most intriguing situation of all. Rutter is Leeds’ record signing but his value can hardly have increased since his January arrival (one start, no goals, one assist). On the other hand, he’s been here for such a short time that it would be seriously bizarre to see him vanish so quickly. The 21-year-old Frenchman has talent, undoubtedly, and maybe the Championship is a level where he could get on a roll. Much as he’s a very expensive signing for a club playing at that level to hold onto, Leeds intend to do so."

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

A season in the championship will make or break Rutter, it could be the best thing to happen to him.

Bamford needs selling, I’m going to lose a chunk of faith if he’s leading the front line come the start of the season.

Cooper PL experience, Championship heart ache, Championship promotion, he’s experience is invaluable. Whilst he shouldn’t be a first name down, I’d not mind seeing him on the bench. He’ll also benefit from no VAR

3. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all,

Cooper is someone I would like to stay but be 3rd or 4th choice cb. He has the experience and knowledge of the club and clearly loves being here.

I would keep him as captain as well as he has excelled on and off the pitch with numerous managers trusting him and the players even picking him repeatedly.

The big then is choosing a strong vice captain who will be one of the first names on the team sheet, Adams for example.

Someone to lead the team on the pitch while Cooper is the man in the background then next season when Cooper will most probably move on we have a ready made replacement for captain.

4. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Bamford falls into the same catering as Ayling and Struijk for me. Would not be upset if they were to leave but can see a role for them in the squad if they were to stay but not as first choice in their positions.

foolee and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  5. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Morning all.

Would be nice all the players stated their desire to stay and help the club bounce back. They are after all under contract and we as a club have to honour that contract when they're unfit or out of form. The club and new coach can then decide who they wish to keep or try to move on but again we still have to repsect the players contracts and plenty before have milked the cash when they're surplus to requirements.

Whatever we do we have to get away from this situation where it seems the players decide everything as that certainly doesn't happen at other clubs.

Marcos Barber, foolee, ristac and 4 others like this.
  6. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

The 'leadership team' failed massively the last 18 months. I think that team included Cooper, Ayling, Forshaw, Rodrigo and Bamford (did I miss anyone?).

I don't want to see that 'leadership' at the club next season. Ship em out early doors. We can't allow that mentality to manifest itself in the squad this coming season.

7. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

Although you can't blame just one player for our plight it was a team effort, or non effort as the case may be, all season that got us relegated but Bamford is absolutely dire in front of goal, his missed penalty and missed open goal against Leicester when we really needed the points was shocking
    Get rid ASAP, we've been crying out for an out and out striker for years now.

8. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone.

Marcos Barber and Irishshako like this.
  9. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Fair play to Cooper, I would certainly want him to stay with Ayling and Dallas (when fit). Any other player who states he wants to stay has my backing, anyone who wants to leave can feck off. <ok> I'm over the disappointment of relegation and I'm looking forward to the new fixtures and my nice new shiny e-membership.:grin:

Marcos Barber, foolee, OLOF and 4 others like this.
  10. Irishshako

I don't know about you Jammy, but I'm getting excited about next season, now ten games in without a win would put a dampener on it, but it feels like a new start. Get a new man in get rid of the prima donnas, use the best of our youth players and get some decent players in. I remember when Wilko took over and we were nearly buying a new player every week. <ok>

11. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Bielsa used to say that teams normally need 3 big chances in order to score a goaland we need 6 big chances to score a goal.

I listened to Allardyce yesterday and he said we need 6 big chances to score a goal during his 4 game spell.

Nothings changed. Our forward line needs a complete overhaul.

Regarding Bamford specifically, it's not just chances he missed vs Leicester and Newcastle. Earlier in the season when we started our bad run he missed a couple of good chances vs Palace away when we were dominant and 1-0 in front. He missed the pen vs Arsenal when we were dominant. He missed chances at Brentford when we lost 5-2 and Toney scored with every touch. These were all morale sapping moments of the season and it spread through the team during this particular period. I don't know if or how I can survive another season with him leading the line. Even his body language is ****ty.

Marcos Barber, OLOF, ristac and 5 others like this.
  12. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

We've just been relegated FFS with a piss poor 'team' led by the same inept line of management it's simply not good enough we need a complete overhaul of the management structure and playing personnel that got us into this for two seasons, get in some hardened pro's who will give their all..mix in the best of our much lauded youth and hopefully a guy who can blend it all and we maybe can give a good account of ourselves with the prospect of at least a play off berth :emoticon-0148-yes:

13. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

NostradEmus likes this.
  14. LeeUtd

LeeUtd Well-Known Member

15. LeeUtd

LeeUtd Well-Known Member

School dinner level when we need restaurant quality

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    ristac, Jammy 07 and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  16. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Yes we need to get you back too.

LeeUtd and Irishshako like this.
  17. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I’m over it too and looking forward to seeing how we shape the squad up for the new season, so ownership, coach and DoF needs sorting asap.

OLOF and Irishshako like this.
  18. Irishshako

I like all this positivity <party>.

19. Irishshako

**** Lee AKA Mr Gere, he'll make us all look uglier<wah>

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  20. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

People keep saying there's a decent player within Rutter and he's one for the future, but I can't think of any instances that would excite me.

Is it just because of his price tag, that people are bigging him up?

foolee likes this.