1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 19th January)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 19, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 19th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

15 m offer turned down for Aaronson

Leeds have had a £15m offer for USA International Brenden Aaronson turned down by Red Bull Salzburg according to 'The Athletic'. The impressive 21yo attacking midfielder has three goals and seven assists in 26 appearances for the runaway leaders of the Austrian Bundesliga, and has caught the eye of many top flight European clubs since making the move from Philadelphia Union.

At the time of his transfer (Jan 21), Aaronson was the most expensive home-grown player in the States ($6m and a further $3m in incentives). He is known for his endurance, quickness and pressing ability; all attributes needed in abundance this season at Elland Road. Leeds have not been deterred by this latest setback, and are confident they can reach a deal with their Austrian counterparts this month.

please log in to view this image

Dallas - our unsung hero

Since making the move from Brentford six and a half years ago, Stuart Dallas has accumulated 235 appearances, and has netted 25 times for the Whites. When it comes to relying on a player, the Northern Ireland International is pretty high up on the list. During his time at Elland Road, he has successfully filled in at no less than six different positions on the pitch. He makes a difference off the pitch too; he mentors some of the developmental players. A recent comparison between Stuart Dallas and England midfielder Declan Rice shows just how important Dallas's contributions are for Leeds, and why the 30yo may be Leeds most underrated player:-

Koch's form not going unnoticed

Robin Koch's return to first team action has caught the eye of Germany Manager Hansi Flick. The 25yo picked up a pelvic injury during their opening game of the season at Old Trafford, which, after surgery kept the former Freiburg defender sidelined until Christmas. Although still unfit, Bielsa had no option but to throw the German International in at the deep end against Arsenal a week before Christmas, but since then Koch's performances have continued to impress.

According to German outlet Sport1. "He [Hansi Flick - German national team boss] has contacted him [Koch] more often by phone in recent months to inquire about the well-being of the Leeds professional. "At the DFB [German national team], they appreciate Koch's variability and reliability on the pitch, but also his personality." The report suggests Koch is being eyed as a possible defensive midfield option.

With the emergence of players like Struijk, Cresswell and Hjelde, where does this leave Cooper, Llorente and Koch?

2. Brizzlewhite

Brizzlewhite Well-Known Member

That tache that Koch has sprouted isn't a good look.
    I'd like to see an out and out AM like Aaronson alongside KP. We've proved that we can play other formations apart from 4-1-4-1. KP and Rice played well together for England, though to be fair Rice is good in his own right.

Marcos Barber likes this.
  3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

Struijk and Llorente for me but only just. If Koch deputises for KP and does well and continues to improve have him and Phillips in the middle like the KP/Rice combo

Put all our money into a proper attacking midfielder or two, one starting one on the bench giving us a host of options

4. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It could be worse...

koch.jpg

5. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

If Koch is good in the holding role I'd play Phillips at 8 and buy a quality 10.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Newcastle now have 3 new players with Brazilian Diego Carlos joining
    Everton 3
    Watford 3
    Villa 3
    Brentford 2

Going to be much tighter down the bottom this season and more transfer activity expected

7. 1964white

1964white Well-Known Member

Good morning all

I've been raving about Dallas since he single-handedly tried to undo the mess we made in the play-offs 2nd leg v Derby. Stuart is the Paul Madeley of Bielsa's Leeds.

I encountered Stuart at Woodall Services, from the few words exchanged I knew he was a decent man, he epitomises what the current Leeds squad are all about

8. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

I don’t think buying players equals success, look at Chelsea and Scum this season. Good management and a system is essential which is why we’ll be alright.

9. 1964white

Koch has certainly shown his class since his return from his long term injury.

Seems to have toughen up a bit!

10. 1964white

Was our best CB combination when we conceded only 12 goals in our final 12 games (I seem to recall), last season

FORZA LEEDS and ristac like this.

11. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Looks as though he could have a side line, fronting a Queen tribute act.

FORZA LEEDS, 2 pennth and ellandback like this.
  12. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Dallas struggled for form when he first arrived, for the first few seasons many were questioning his place in the team(seems a familiar trait) but with the arrival of Bielsa, he really upped his game and has become an integral part of the team, his versatility as been a god send.

Koch always had the ability, just needed to toughen up to the riggers of the PL, which he seems to have done, just needs to stay injury free now.

13. 1964white

You took the words out of my mouth matey :emoticon-0100-smile

ellandback and Gessa like this.
  14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Thats not why I post this mate. I post this to demonstrate that this season there will be a fight at the bottom unlike last season. We have a mix of 4 new managers all promised cash to buy, oil money and some decent teams. We have yet to see Norwich or Burnleys hand and if they do nothing I think both maybe toast, but lets wait and see. If Leeds do nothing we are gambling on Bielsa and players coming back

15. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Not for the first time :biggrin:

1964white and ellandback like this.
  16. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

Not a dig and it’s a good graphic to see what others are doing. Just putting my 2 cents in that I think Newcastle, Everton, Watford and Villa are aimlessly throwing money at players thinking it equals success and it certainly doesn’t. Brentford are slightly different as they’re known to make pretty good signings so we’ll see if that continues in the PL.

Doc likes this.
  17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Good point on Brentfordand if Erikson works out he could be the difference between safety and relegation

18. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Burnley have resigned themselves to relegation hence the sale of Wood

southernwhite likes this.
  19. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

I was thinking that yesterday. Perhaps they are planning for the champuonship. West brom used to do that and norwich.

ristac likes this.
  20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Why did Dyche sign a new contract with a new owner if the club? The new owner has just trousered £25m? Surely Dyche was promised cash for players?