1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Masters, from Augusta Georgia | Golf

Discussion in 'General Betting Board' started by redcgull, Apr 8, 2013.

1. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

It was one over I think stick. Still a remarkable effort for a 14 year old. If he can shoot a similar score today then he should make the cut, that would be some achievement. Anyone know anything about how he managed to qualify?

Reasonably pleased with my selection Mickelsons first round. -1 keeps him in with a shout:biggrin:

2. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

So far so good...:emoticon-0105-wink:

3. redcgull

After day 1 the new odds to win are...

Woods, Tiger - 4/1... was 4/1

Johnson, Dustin - 8/1... 30/1

Garcia, Sergio - 10/1... 40/1

Kuchar, Matt - 12/1... 35/1

Scott, Adam - 14/1... 25/1

Mickelson, Phil - 14/1... 11/1

Rose, Justin - 16/1... 18/1

Mcilroy, Rory - 22/1... 9/1

Fowler, Rickie - 22/1... 50/1

Westwood, Lee - 25/1... 28/1

Snedeker, Brandt - 25/1... 35/1

Furyk, Jim - 33/1... 80/1

Schwartzel, Charl - 33/1... 25/1

Leishman, Marc - 40/1... 150/1

Day, Jason - 40/1... 55/1

Donald, Luke - 40/1... 33/1

Fernandez-Castano, Gonzalo - 50/1... 150/1

Choi, KJ - 50/1... 80/1

Couples, Fred - 50/1... 150/1

Lynn, David - 66/1... 200/1

Bradley, Keegan - 66/1... 25/1

Johnson, Zach - 66/1... 100/1

Immelman, Trevor - 66/1... 125/1

Haas, Bill - 80/1... 66/1

Oosthuizen, Louis - 100/1... 28/1

So after the first round i have to say that my 4 picks of Kuchar, Westy, Scott and Bo Van Pelt have all shot a under par round, and with the exception of BVP who is at 100/1 and -1 for the round, the others have had a good enough start...

Hope we get more of the same today...<cheers>

4. redcgull

Isnt looking the most stupid of bets at the mo...

Good luck with it Realb...<ok>

5. Realb

Realb Active Member

I do not think that he will do a lot for my nerves over the next couple of days - if he can get to Sunday with a chance then I can enjoy the last day whether he wins or not

6. King Shergar

Garcia is damaged goods if you ask me, he's like Westwood, can't putt under pressure. That's why I don't see either of them winning a major :biggrin:

7. stick

stick Bumper King

He won the pan asian qualifier I think I heard. Remarkable effort.

8. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Woods looming, looking ominous. At this stage i'll settle for Scott and Woods in the final group on Sunday , that would be fun. Alorra lorra golf to be played still though, setting up very nicely.

9. King Shergar

He made the cut anyways, what a remarkable achievement for a boy of 14. Imagine how good he could be in years to come, I doubt even Tiger or Rory were as good as that at 14. Its a bloody long course aswell, so im amazed he can hit it far enough. Asia haven't really produced many good golfers in the men's game, despite being a leading force in the women's game. I think he'll be the first superstar player from Asia in a few years time:biggrin:

10. redcgull

Odds now on offer after the 2nd round...

The big mover is Jason Day, and he will be when he leads the race for the jacket, in from 55/1-40/1 and no only 11/2. His -4 under for the day included making 3 birdies in 4 holes around Amen Corner, but he actually dropped one on the par 3 12th. Sitting at -6 his return from the par 5's is -4 from 8 holes. So if he doubles that up over the next 2 rounds he must have a fighting chance...

Tiger has shortened in a bit after his -3 round, he has only dropped 3 shots in the first 2 days play, -2 under for his Par 5 returns. But we know what he can do and so will be expecting a move from him this Saturday...

Kuchar has blown his chances me thinks now but Scott and Westy have moved into contention for me... All to play for going into the last 2 rounds of this years Masters... Who is brave enough to call the winner from here as i think anyone of the top 15 players can...!!!

Come on Lee Westwood...!!!!!!!!!

11. redcgull

Just on the little lad from China, Tianling Guan, i was surprised to read that he was docked a shot for slow play...!!! Rules are rules, but how many times do we see slow play go unpunished on the PGA Tour...? Its well know that they dont force this rule on the Tour, and some players are taking over 5 hours to complete their rounds...

I didnt see any of the golf last night because of work but im off now for the weekend and will be watching this lad with interest... Please let me know if he really was that slow last night. From what ive read they warned him on the 11th and then put him on the clock from the 12th, resulting in a penalty shot on the 17th...

Seems a bit harsh for a 14 year old to get punished when so many other golfers do it week in week out... Need i say that on the Tour if your playing with our current Masters Leader, he isnt the quickest player by a long way. In fact the other golfers refer to him by his more realistic nick name... Jason 'ALL' Day...!!!

12. stick

stick Bumper King

Koooch isnt out of it yet, moving day today and a distinct possibility that Woods could be DQ'd. McIlroy could easily play his way into contention today. I having a bit on Jason Dufner at 28-1, in contention and has a great temperament.

13. redcgull

Tiger Woods has a 2 shot penalty invoked because he broke the rules...!!!

This has been took from the PGA Web site...

April 13 2013 - 10:30 AM

Woods assessed two-stroke penalty
    By Brian Wacker, PGATOUR.COM

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Tiger Woods has been assessed a two-stroke penalty for taking an illegal drop on the 15th hole during the second round of the Masters, officials announced Saturday.
    His score on the par-5 goes from a bogey to a triple bogey, dropping Woods to 1 under for the tournament and five back of the lead.

The decision to assess the penalty, rather than disqualify Woods for signing an incorrect scorecard, comes after Rule 33-7/4.5 was changed in 2011 to read that if a player unknowingly signs for an incorrect score he will be assessed a penalty rather than be disqualified.

Augusta National issued the following statement on Saturday's ruling:

“Yesterday afternoon, the Rules Committee was made aware of a possible Rules violation that involved a drop by Tiger Woods on the 15th hole.

“In preparation for his fifth shot, the player dropped his ball in close proximity to where he had played his third shot in apparent conformance with Rule 26. After being prompted by a television viewer, the Rules Committee reviewed a video of the shot while he was playing the 18th hole. At that moment and based on that evidence, the Committee determined he had complied with the Rules.

“After he signed his scorecard, and in a television interview subsequent to the round, the player stated that he played further from the point than where he had played his third shot. Such action would constitute playing from the wrong place.

“The subsequent information provided by the player’s interview after he had completed play warranted further review and discussion with him this morning. After meeting with the player, it was determined that he had violated Rule 26, and he was assessed a two-stroke penalty. The penalty of disqualification was waived by the Committee under Rule 33 as the Committee had previously reviewed the information and made its initial determination prior to the finish of the player’s round.”

Woods' third shot on the 15th had hit the pin and caromed back off the green and into the water. He chose to play his fifth shot two yards farther back from his original spot to ensure the ball landed short of the flag, he said.

Under Rule 26-1, Woods had three options for where to play his fifth shot from after hitting into the yellow-staked (not lateral) hazard:
    • Play from the designated drop area, which he didn’t want to do because it was wet and he didn’t like the lie it would have given him.
    • Drop the ball, keeping the point at which it last crossed the margin of the water between the hole and the spot which the ball would be dropped with no limit how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped.
    • Return to the original spot from which he played, and drop "as nearly as possible'' from where he played the third shot.

Woods' tee time and pairing will remain the same. He will tee off at 1:45 p.m. ET with Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano.

The amendment to Rule 33-7/4.5 came after similar incidents in 2011 led to the disqualifications of Camilo Villegas in Hawaii and Padarig Harrington in Abu Dhabi.

"For some time we have been concerned that, in certain limited circumstances, disproportionate disqualification penalties have been required by the Rules," chief executive of the R&A Peter Dawson said at the time. "This carefully considered decision reflects our desire to ensure that the Rules of Golf remain fair and relevant in the changing environment in which the game is played today."
    "This is a logical and important step in our re-evaluation of the impact of high-definition video on the game," added USGA executive director Mike Davis then. "We collectively believe that this revised decision addresses many video-related issues never contemplated by the Rules of Golf."

This is the second penalty assessed this week.
    On Friday, 14-year-old Chinese amateur Guan Tianlang was assessed a one-stroke penalty for slow play after violating Rule 6-7. He was assessed the additional stroke en route to what otherwise would have been a par at the 17th hole. Instead, he was given a bogey.

Ive just seen the incident on Sky now and although its next to nothing of an infringement Tiger has improved his shot by moving the ball back. He made that decision so he could play the same shot as he did before - he learnt from his 1st shot in effect what he did wrong - as so in doing so has broken the rules. I dont think its a DQ offense like some of the media are reporting, but it certainly deserves the 2 shot penalty...

This could rule him out of winning this years Masters, but as we still have 2 full rounds to play, he will still be dangerous from 5 shots back where he is...

It makes today's round intriguing watching when Tiger comes out to play again... I cant wait...<ok>

14. redcgull

I hope Kooch isnt out of it Stick, but i fear its just beyond him now...

15. SaveTheHumans

It's Adam Scotts to lose isn't it... Lol, wide open now the tigger had been penalised, interesting to see What way it shapes up today.

16. stick

stick Bumper King

He is good enough to win it from here mate and has started PAR BIRDIE

17. stick

stick Bumper King

make that PAR BIRDIE BIRDIE

18. King Shergar

Has a chance Stick, atleast he'a not a choker unlike a fair few of the other guys up there. After Mickelsons gone tits up, I've had another punt on Cabrera at 28/1. He may not be the best golfer, but he's a cool costemer when the pressures on. He's only won 2 tournaments in his career, both majors :biggrin:

19. SaveTheHumans

The Duck has over 40 wins Shergar! 2 on the PGA Tour you Prob mean. He alway's travelled to play and has several European and world wins.

20. King Shergar

Oh right that was probably the stat I heard, only 2 on the PGA tour:biggrin: