1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The morning after the night before

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BluefromBridgend, Jan 16, 2020.

1. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Good to be on the right end of a 7 goal thriller and value for money for the 348 brave souls who made the trip. Also good to see us score 4 away.

However let's get things in perspective. This was against a team in the lower reaches of Division 2. They went 2 up against us at CCS and scored another 3 on their home patch.

I haven't seen any footage of the game but the reports I have seen say Smithies couldn't be blamed for any of last night's goals and apparently got an assist for one of ours. Nevertheless it appears we suffered another defensive shambles and against a better side would have done a lot worse.

It looks like Coxe was put under the cosh again and had some responsibility for 1 of their goals. The report says they targeted him. He was subbed early at our place so this is no surprise. I have said all along that the reason our youngsters have had so few chances is that, perhaps, they are not good enough. Okay he has only played in the first eleven 3 or 4 times but has he shown he has a future at the level we need?

Looks like Sol was a bit better but misplaced a few passes and surely our experienced players should be supporting and covering young players like Coxe. It could still be early days on his recovery from a very serious injury but if he is to play a bigger part this season we need him to step up soon.

Flint appears to have been okay and weighed in with 2 goals. Also, when Carlisle piled on the pressure late on he was the usual backbone of the defence clearing everything at or above head height.

Looks as though Jazz didn't have a great game either.

It can also be argued that the midfield should have given the back 4 more cover. It was probably the first time this midfield played together this season but they train together every day so there should be no excuse. Good to see Joe playing again. He should be in contention for Saturday.

We simply can't afford to throw away goals like this and the back 4 from Sunday looks the way to go.

On to Reading next round. Not ideal after the stuffing we took there a few .months ago. It can't be that bad again? Can it?

Ironically we have Reading at CCS the Friday after the cup game. If we draw there we will have them back at CCS on 28th or 29th.

#sickofthesightofeachother

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have to admit I watched the ManU/Wolves game last night on the box (shame:shocked:) but saw the goals going in as I watched that game - Smithies can't be blamed for any of them. Nothing would have stopped their first rocket which flew past Smithies into the top corner, but there were glaring lapses in defence for the two that McKirdy got. Bad marking by Coxe for his first and then falling asleep for their quick free kick for his second.

Most lower league sides raise their games for cup competitions (just look at Newport this past couple of seasons) but overall that wasn't a bad game for City. If Paterson can cause the same trouble up front for Championship sides, I'd leave him up there with Tomlin. Glatzel is not working out and wont until we keep the ball on the floor. Paterson is a thug in waiting and I'd use him.

Defensively we should be OK with 4 CB's fighting for 2/3 spots in the side. A decent RB option for Peltier would add pace. Midfield has all the effort we need now with Ralls back - now we need some class in there to pick a pass. Despite his great recent performances under Harris, I don't want to have to rely on Tomlin as the sole provider.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  3. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/51129520

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  4. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Good points Sparks.

Wonder who will get left out of midfield for Ralls? Probably Bacuna unless we go with just one winger. Would make us a lot stronger in the middle of the park but it would need 2 full backs able to push up, not just Bennett.

Paterson would certainly give opposing cb's a much tougher time physically than Glatzel but then we are limited in how we play the ball forward as Pato's lack of pace makes it difficult for Tomlin to play the channels. Reading an interview with Pato on WoL, he said he would be happy playing anywhere, even in goal if asked!!! Got to love that attitude. <ok>

However, he let himself down a bit when accepting his limited chances in saying, "the boys upfront have done well this season". <doh>