1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The North London Power-Shift

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Hoddle is a god, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think it is, now, about time that someone started this thread. I'm bound to get criticised by both Spurs fans and Gooners. But, please, hear me out.

I'm not saying that it has definitely happened - that would be far too presumptuous of me, and I am not stupid.

But I think it is time that this topic was openly debated in a rational and meaningful way. Yesterday, we saw a superlative Spurs performance against our old enemy. It wasn't that we beat Arsenal, or even that we came from behind (from an extremely dodgy goal) and beat them; it was the way we did it. That was a team performance. I've seen a handful of Gooners try to make the excuse that "our players didn't turn up" and "we let them beat us," but I think that, deep down inside the heart of every Gooner, they know that they are not all that, and that they simply didn't have what it takes to beat us. We were class, and we out-classed Whinger and his band of expensively assembled prima donas. Walnut, when he came onto the field, looked like a lost little boy looking for his mummy. We destroyed Arsenal, just as we did Chelsea, a couple of games ago. Arsenal did their best, but their best simply was not good enough.

But, as I say, it is too early to say, for certain, that the Power-Shift has happened. Still, it could have, though.

What do you guys think (and I want you neutrals to get involved with this massive topic, not just us Spurs fans and forlorn Gooners).

All I would ask is that we, please, keep the wumming out of this debate - it is far too important for any cheap point-scoring.

Thanks, lads.
    <ok>

2. King Ossie64

King Ossie64 Well-Known Member

What we saw yesterday was Michael Kane being the difference between the two sides, without Michael the Gooners would have probably have nicked it 1-0. After the Arsenal had scored you had more possession and energy but no real threat and one would have expected that from the home side. Only a fool would talk of power shifts over 24 games and there's certainly a whole load of football to play.

While we are on the subject of Michael Kane, he is a typical second striker and someone who would play behind someone like Adebayor. Michael has found himself thrust into the main role due to a lack of cutting edge within the squad and tbf to him he has been a revelation. Personally before I would crow about the next best thing since sliced bread I will need to see another season.

Defences will devise a way of negating his presence and if he can still do it next year I would say that he's the **Real deal. He reminds me of the impact Robben had for us in his first year but to a lesser degree. tore the premier league a new arse but the next year they had him all figured out and that is my guess that will happen to Michael. So the big question is will Donald sell him quickly when he realises the lad can't 'blow the bloody doors off anymore'?

PINKIE likes this.
  3. Ozzie, is this the same "typical second striker" who made Cahill look like a muppet, when Kane and the other Spurs lads ripped Chelsea a new one in several places, all over the park?

Kane is scoring goals because the likes of Rose, Chadli, Dembele, and Eriksen are getting the balls to him. We are winning tough games because Fazio and Verts are forming a solid CB pairing, in front of one of the world's best goal-keepers. We're stopping counter-attacking sides like Chelsea and Arsenal counter-attacking with our new-found fitness. It's not all about Kane. This Spurs side is beginning to look like the real deal.

Again, I'm not saying that the North London Power-Shift has definitely happened, yet. I'm just the conduit for a discussion on this important matter.

4. King Ossie64

Hardly a muppet old boy he had the better game out of the two, we were fatigued and just coming out of a poor spell by our standards but we will rip you back at Chelsea headquarters (Wembley) I still think Arsenal will finish above you because they always do! I also know that your real battle for a CL place will come from West Ham, Southampton & Liverpool. <ok>

5. Thanks for your observations, Ozzie. It's good to see that we can hold a debate as sensitive and as important as this one without resorting to cheap wummery.

6. King Ossie64

Indeed old boy, one has to stay on topic <whistle>

7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

So tempting. must hold back!

8. Bald Archie

Bald Archie Not606 Official Lurker

Big Ern and luvgonzo like this.
  9. Go for it, Luvvy. Your comments are welcome.

So long, of course, that you are not here merely to wum. That isn't what this thread is about.

10. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

The more you say don't wum the more I want to! :angel:

Too early to consider this a power shift imo. Even if you finished above The Gooners this season it wouldn't mean a shift in power, you'd have to do it year after year for it to be considered that.

11. As I say , I haven't made my mind up one way or the other, yet.

However, some (not necessarily me) might say that it is abundantly clear that the power is beginning to shift, even if it hasn't yet fully shifted.

12. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Don't see it myself, Arsenal will finish in the top 4 as will City and Chelsea so one spot left for Spurs, Man Utd Southampton and Liverpool.

13. Nah. I think Arsenal are a spent force, as far as third is concerned.

4th spot for them? Possibly, I'm not sure. I still think we have the better chance.

As I say, I'm not sure if the Power-Shift has yet taken place. We'll see.

14. King Ossie64

Oh yes I remember those same people saying that then as they are now, occupational spud perhaps :emoticon-0136-giggl

15. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

Does anyone know when the last time Spurs finished above Arsenal for 2 seasons on the trot - big debate about it in the pub Saturday night and the general concensus was about 45 years ago?

16. I've given Spurs a lot of praise recently and tomorrows game could have been better timed but having said that, Arsenal will still finish above Spurs IMO

17. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

That was the previous power shift.

18. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1981/82, 1982/83.

19. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Is the electric back on now?

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

1981 &1982 I think. That's nearly 35 years ago and shows you how far off any power shift is. In fact in almost every area you can measure, the spuds fall way behind Arsenal. League titles. FA cups, NLD wins, doubles etc the list goes on.

The spuds would have to finish above Arsenal every season until 2034 to claim any sort of power shift.

Also in that time they would have to win 11 league titles, 3 FA cups, 12 community shields and compete in the Champions league for 17 consecutive years to even draw even.

Since Arsenal won the double in 71 they have beaten the Spuds 46 times in the NLD compared to the spuds paltry 9 wins.

From time to time the spuds scrape the odd victory against Arsenal and one or two of their less informed fans start jizzing in their pants about the power shift, but the facts are irrefutable - Arsenal are the kings of North London and the spuds will need to achieve almost two decades of finishing above Arsenal whilst consistently winning trophies to claim any kind of shift.

gooner4ever likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.