1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Official Not606 Match Thread: Liverpool Vs Manchester City. (Carling Cup)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Chris., Jan 24, 2012.

1. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

Hello and welcome to the official Not606 match thread for Wednesday's Carling Cup semi-final second leg between Liverpool & Manchester City. Liverpool currently lead 1-0 from the first leg and the game will be available to watch on Sky Sports 1. BBC Radio Five Live will have the radio rights and highlights of this game and the other semi-final between Cardiff City & Crystal Palace will be available to watch on the League Cup Show.

Preview.

Liverpool may hold the advantage going into the second leg of this Carling Cup semi-final, but their squad come into this match with a very different morale to that of opponents Manchester City following this weekend's results.

The Reds were abject in their defeat by Bolton, yet another match in which huge question marks were raised over the purchases manager Kenny Dalglish has made since returning to the club. His furious reaction to the performance of his players was pointed: "If that's the level they expect this football club to play at, they won't be here long," he said.

In contrast, Roberto Mancini's Manchester City side are on a high following their sensational injury-time win over Tottenham on Sunday that bore all the hallmarks of a side destined to win the title.

But they still have it all to do in this tie given they trail 1-0 after the first-leg.

Winning at Anfield is also not something they are accustomed to - it has been nine years since their last victory there. Given how intimidating the Kop can be on a midweek cup night - and Liverpool's desperation to play at Wembley for the first time since 1996 - Mancini's men may have it all do.

Match preview taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16606933.stm.

Injury News.

Liverpool.

• Lucas Leiva- ACL Knee Injury.
    • Jay Spearing- Hamstring Injury. (Doubtful)

Manchester City.

No injury news noted.

Injury news taken from http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php. Please inform me via a post in this thread if the injury news is wrong.

Liverpool 2 - 2 Manchester City

Goalscorers:

Manchester City... Nigel De Jong: 31st minute.
    Liverpool... Steven Gerrard: 41st minute. (Penalty)
    Manchester City... Edin Dzeko: 67th minute.
    Liverpool... Craig Bellamy: 74th minute.

Liverpool:

Reina
    Johnson
    Agger
    Kelly
    Skrtel
    Enrique
    Adam
    Henderson
    Downing
    Gerrard
    Carroll

SUBS:

Doni
    Carragher
    Coates
    Maxi
    Shelvey
    Kuyt
    Bellamy

Craig Bellamy coming off and Martin Kelly is on: 88th minute.
    Dirk Kuyt coming off and Andy Carroll is on: 91st minute.

Manchester City:

Hart
    Richards
    Lescott
    Zabelata
    Barry
    Kolarov
    Silva
    Nasri
    Adam Johnson
    Dzeko
    Aguero

SUBS:

Pantilimon
    Savic
    Clichy
    Rekik
    Milner
    Hargreaves
    De Jong

Stefan Savic coming off and Sergio Aguero is on: Half-time sub.
    Nigel De Jong coming off and Adam Johnson is on: 77th minute sub.

YNWA.

2. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

By the way, apologies for not doing my own match preview for this game like I normally do. Had a lot on this week so i've had to take the BBC match preview instead.

I shall try and do my own match preview on the thread for the cup game with United.

3. moreinjuredthanowen

bad on telly is out.

kompany is out.

that leaves
    hart
    richards savic lescott clichy
    barry milner
    silva aguero nasri
    dseko

I think every player i nthe prem is looking at savic and would love to play against him. Andy will go stand by lescott...

fair play chris you go do an aful lot every game so <applause>

4. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

Gerrard: Wembley talk is banned!

5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Top thread as always, I'm going to miss the whole game due to my kid training. <steam>

6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Cardiff through to Wembley after penalties.

7. Enricky.

Enricky. Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't know what to make of this game tbh, hopefully we'll win it though. Won't hold my breath though

8. terrifictraore

terrifictraore Well-Known Member

Isn't that every game with us lately?

9. DayDoDoeDontDayDoe

DayDoDoeDontDayDoe Well-Known Member

Gonna be a very difficult game for us this,especially with Citeh not involved in the FA Cup, hard to see where the goals are gonna come from if Bellamy doesnt play

Would be nice to have Jay back as Adam is absolutely terrible at the mo ( lookin more like Poulsen by the week),if Spearing sint fit would be tempted to play Agger as a defensive CM.Can Bellamy play 3 times in 7 days probably not

My 11

Reina
    Johnson Carra or Agger Skrtel Jose
    Agger or Spearing
    Kuyt Gerrard Hendo Downing
    Carroll

Adam should be dropped from the 18 IMO,he has been absolutely terrible the last 6 weeks, never a Liverpool player in a million years( better than Meireles my ar*e).Terrible buy by Kenny

10. Jonesey

Jonesey Well-Known Member

Reina
    Kelly Agger Skrtel Enrique
    Johnson Gerrard Spearing Maxi
    Carroll Bellamy

11. alexb

alexb Well-Known Member

I agree completely. Wont happen though. Kenny will be too pussy to drop Downing and Adam. Even though they deserve it.

12. Jonesey

Jonesey Well-Known Member

My thought exactly alex

13. StJohn_Red_Legend

StJohn_Red_Legend Active Member

I think a 4-2-3-1 is in order for the game - the back line needs to be protected adequately and Silva needs policing man-to-man. Cut the supply and cut the throat.

---------Reina
    Kelly-Skrtel-Agger-Enrique
    ----Gerrard-Henderson
    Sterling-Bellamy-Maxi
    --------Carroll

Bench
    Doni, Johnson, Downing, Kuyt, Ngoo, Shelvey, Coates

Probably not the best use for Gerrard, but I'd like him to take the Lucas role and organise the midfield - best off I'd like to graft Carra's head onto the skipper's body, but we just don't have the time for that. Gerrard will need to concentrate on Silva, taking him out of the game. Henderson will need to watch any other runners, and try to cut out passes.
    I've been bold and decided to go with out and out pace on the right and give Sterling a chance to stake a claim for the final, also to run at Savic off the wing. His pace should give him crossing opportunities and hopefully this will get Maxi in at the back stick, as well as providing a supply line for Carroll.

I've also stuck Ngoo on the bench - his pace and strength are potent weapons and should Andy fail to deliver in the first half, off he comes!

At least its how I'd roll.

I expect Kenny to go with

-------------Reina
    Johnson--Skrtel--Agger--Enrique
    Maxi-Gerrard-Adam-Hendo-Downing
    -------------Carroll

Bench
    Doni, Kuyt, Carragher, Aurelio, Coates, Bellamy, Kelly

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have a really ****ty feeling about tonight's game? I don't know what it is and can't really put a finger on it but something feels off. I hope my gut is just that of last nights chipotle!

15. Tyrannosuarez Rex

After the performance against Bolton I'm not looking forward to tonight. Will have to be polar opposite of how they played to get anything from tonight's game.

16. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I know we will sit back and play defensive but **** me an early goal would be crucial for me and would give me more hope. The longer 0-0 stands the more I will worry about city getting that goal.

17. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

I'm not confident at all, but I made the effort to drive down to Manchester two weeks ago so avoiding this game is not an option for me.

18. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I'm not avoiding, actually have **** all to do today so could get pissed whie watching it...... depends on what happens i suppose!

19. David Ngod

David Ngod Member

if i see anything like the performance against bolton i think i may have to hurt somebody, i have anger issues

20. KippaxKid2011

KippaxKid2011 Member

Well here we go again Part 4 of the City/Liverpool saga!

As a blue i'm looking for a decent game tonight, just hope Bobby picks his best side and no Pantillimon, Savic or Dzeko in the lineup!

You deserved the 1-0 lead, but if we play like we can and take the chances I think we can turn it around - my initial thoughts are that you lot will want to win more than us, that's the problem!

Quick prediction in 2-1 city.

Enjoy the game lads.