1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

No they ban people ‘cos THEY feel like it...and you, if you’re not a hypocrite, should applaud them for it. It’s their platform to do what they want, when they want.
    I’d personally of let Trump spout his bollox......but that’s just me not being a hypocrite I guess

kiwiqpr likes this.
  2. Staines R's

They still do....

Willhoops likes this.
  3. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

No it’s not hypocrisy saying that the banning of trump for putting out misinformation that has cost people their lives, and for lying again which incited an insurrection is different to banning someone else for a different reason.

Do I like that social media has such power and influence? No, do I still use it? Yes, now that kinda makes me a hypocrite. I do find the timing of trumps banning strange, he has constantly spread misinformation and outright lies (and I mean lies not opinion) which breaches terms and conditions so rightfully he should banned along time ago.

So you think the companies should openly accept someone on their platform who is lying on their platform which is costing people their lives? Do you think they should just allow someone to use their platform to incite an insurrection? Would you think they shouldn’t ban hate preachers inciting people to act?

4. Willhoops

Oh I’m not commenting on the rights and wrongs on other bans as the only one and some of the details I’m know a bit about is Trumps.

5. Staines R's

When the companies you talk of still allow the likes of China and Saudi Arabia have an official voice I would say, yes, they are being hypocritical and are picking and choosing who they think is ok and who is not.
    But then again, we’ve done this ages back with your picking and choosing about who you think deserves protest when they visit our country. It just seems, to me anyway, that you’ll castigate Trump for his appalling actions...but not so vocal against others who are just as bad...and in some ways worse.

6. Staines R's

But that’s the thing Wills.....you seem so fixated on Trump, but willing to let others get away with their appalling actions and views.
    Ignorance is no excuse mate

7. Willhoops

Ahhh oh I’d agree with that

Staines R's likes this.
  8. Willhoops

As in yes absolutely yes they should definitely be banning others for the comments they have been making. This is the first time you’ve actually given examples

9. Willhoops

If a company is banning the likes of Trump, for breaches of terms and conditions and there are other examples yes they would have to hold them to the same t&cs. Especially when they are high profile people with huge influence

10. Staines R's

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear as that was my point entirely.

In my defence I’m txting a mate, on here and trying to watch Green Bay v Tampa all at the same time.

Willhoops likes this.

11. Willhoops

No worries I’m watching the Trump thing on bbc2, can’t help myself I’m obsessed haha, you’re missing nothing it’s nothing we don’t already know.

Staines R's likes this.
  12. Staines R's

Im gonna leave right now....in a foul mood and out of boredom this week started betting again. Went big on Green Bay who are playing ****.
    I feel I’ve let myself down. It’s an addiction I’ve still not beaten.
    Goodnight mate

13. Willhoops

You’re a top fella whilst politically we won’t see 100% eye to eye I think a lot of the pro EU lot can respect your views and value your opinions, it feels like you bring us, well you do me, further into the grey area where discussion and compromise are achievable.

stay strong fella we all love you !!

14. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

UK firms told 'set up in EU to avoid trade disruption'
    By Daniel Thomas
    Business reporter, BBC News

Published
    11 hours ago
    Related Topics
    please log in to view this image
    IMAGE COPYRIGHTSIMON SPURRELL
    image captionSimon Spurrell (C) from the Cheshire Cheese Company says he was advised to set up an EU hub
    UK firms that export to the EU say they are being encouraged by the government to set up subsidiaries in the bloc to avoid disruption under new trade rules.

Firms have been hit by extra charges, taxes and paperwork, leading some to stop exporting to the EU altogether.

But several say they have been told that setting up hubs in Europe would minimise the disruption, even if it means moving investment out of the UK.

The Department for International Trade said it was "not government policy".

"The Cabinet Office have issued clear guidance, available at www.gov.uk/transition, and we encourage all businesses to follow that guidance."

The Cheshire Cheese Company said it had been advised by an official to set up in the EU after it was forced to stop its exports to the bloc due to trade rules that came in on 1 January.

'Only solution'
    The firm, which sold £180,000 of cheese to the EU last year, found that every £25-30 gift box of cheese it sends to consumers on the Continent now needs a veterinary-approved health certificate costing £180.

"I spoke to someone at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for advice. They told me setting up a fulfilment centre in the EU where we could pack the boxes was my only solution," co-founder Simon Spurrell told the BBC.

The firm, which had been optimistic about Brexit, is now looking at setting up a hub in France where it would "test the water".

But it has also scrapped plans to build a new £1m warehouse in Macclesfield employing 20-30 people.

"Instead we might end up employing French workers and paying tax to the EU," Mr Spurrell said.

"I left the EU as a UK citizen but now they are suggesting I rejoin my company to the EU, so what was Brexit for?"

'Set up shop in Germany'
    The issue, he said, was that the under the post-Brexit trade deal, a vet must approve every consignment of fresh food that his company ships to the EU.

It is a complex and costly process that has hit exporters of fresh meat and fish as well, and was partly why the government set up a £23m support fund for UK fishing companies.

UK retailers who export to the EU have also complained about being hit with unsustainable costs when customers in the bloc return goods bought online. This is due to new customs clearance charges incurred by shipping firms.

Some retailers have even warned they could burn clothes stuck at borders as it is cheaper than bringing them home.

please log in to view this image
    IMAGE COPYRIGHTULLA VITTING RICHARDS
    image captionUlla Vitting Richards
    Ulla Vitting Richards, who runs her sustainable fashion brand Vildnis from the UK, told the BBC last week she had stopped exporting to the EU, which was her fastest growing market, because of the new processes.

She also said that she had been advised - this time by a Department for International Trade (DIT) representative - that setting up a subsidiary distribution hub might help.

"He told me we'd be best off moving stock to a warehouse in Germany and get them to handle it," she said.

As early as last October, trade consultants Blick Rothenberg warned that thousands of UK businesses might need to set up an EU presence in order to keep exporting to European markets.

However, experts say EU firms exporting to the UK - which currently enjoy a grace period over the imposition of some rules - will soon face the same issues.

Indeed, some EU exporters have already stopped deliveries to the UK because of new VAT related charges.

The DIT said it was not government policy to advise UK firms to set up EU hubs and that it was "ensuring all officials are properly conveying" the right information.

15. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

“if you love the EU so much, move there”.

16. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I thought Watford would be all over this rubbish as it’s trying to put down the country.
    What government minister said this?

17. Bwood_Ranger

It’s clearly an attempt by Remain-loving businesses to undermine what would be a highly successful hard Brexit if we all just believed a bit harder.

18. Willhoops

Has the message gone via Iain Dale?

19. Bwood_Ranger

This was always the natural next step.

20. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

It reminds me of the rubbish you spouted regarding my post on the vaccine roll out? Some positive news on the amount of people who received the jab, yet you turn it? Your loathing of this country gains pace daily Watford. funny how you spent months blaming the government for causing 100k deaths and how we have most deaths and worst economic damage in Europe blah blah blah but when someone posts positive news... you and some of your ilk on here don’t like it? Funny that? Perhaps like the huge majority, you should praise our amazing roll out instead of knocking it at each opportunity?

And I will say it again well done NHS and the government for our amazing roll out and thank F22k we didn’t sign up to that doomed EU program which some on here were very vocal about but have since gone very silent. :emoticon-0127-lipss