1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The post 2022 world cup winter window

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by StJabbo1, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

The main reason I can’t see us selling Lavia is how badly it would sour the relationship with City. We obviously have an agreement with them over 4 players we bought in the summer with the buybacks etc and if we sell one of those players the first chance we get to their rivals for (presumably) more than the buy back price and before the buy back is active they aren’t going to be too happy and won’t do those deals again.

2. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

This assumes such deals are as viable with Shields moving on. That said it seemed like the first two were done before he arrived and he only seemed involved in Edozie and Larios

But if (as some people seem to fear) a bid comes in and Lavia kicks off and demands to move what exactly can we do? I don’t think he will. It doesn’t make sense given what drove him to move in the first place.

3. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Say no as he has only just got here. It isn't unreasonable to get him to play at least 1 season!

He isn't going to refuse to play as he has a 5 year contract, we have time on our side and his wages arent going to be that high at his age either.

Lovelocum likes this.
  4. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

And he may well want to wait for City to come back for him.

5. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

What’ happens with Romeo if we go down would be somewhat interesting.
    It feels too early for City to want to take him back and would he want to go elsewhere and can we even sell him for less than the buy back?
    Obviously I hope he stays in the championship and spearheads our triumphant return

6. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

With Lavia specifically I think City would want to exercise the buy back option. He can talk with them about staying for another 18 months and then going to City rather than going to Chelsea now (this is a big risk by him so you may be right about him wanting to go in Jan)

You could be right with the Shields thing but if Bazunu, Larios and Edozie all make big steps forward in the next couple of seasons and to a point where City want to sign them then Shields or no Shields City will want to continue those sort of arrangements.

7. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

The Athletic reporting that Saints will mainly look at loan options this transfer window.If this is true, we’re ****ed with this current squad.

Feel today is a massive indicator.Win and belief will be there. Lose, and the grumbling’s of the wrong manager choice, will start. Need to get some momentum and winning mentality back in this squad urgently.

8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't necessarily say we're ****ed. We really only need to permanently sign a striker. If we were to do that and bring in a couple of loan players that would be fine. Also, loans can include options or obligations to buy.

9. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Yep. As Saints fans we should be well aware that big transfer fees don't always mean success (Carrillo, Osvaldo, Boufal, Gaston), and the reverse is true for small fees. That said, I don't think we stay up unless we really invest in this squad as we are are really lacking any sort of goal threat.

10. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

Wolves are loaning Cunha, with an obligation to buy for £45 million. With the position we're in we aren't going to spend that amount outright now.

11. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

It is only an obligation if certain conditions are met. I assume one of those conditions would be they avoid relegation, so they may look at it that if he keeps them up then £45m is a lot less then they would lose by getting relegated.

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

Have we signed anyone yet?

Osvaldorama likes this.
  13. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I hope we're going to have a busy few weeks, we're pants all over the pitch mostly.
    Unless there's shed loads of money available, or lots of secretly scouted quality bargains, I'd say we're doomed.
    Doomed......

:bandit:

14. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Isn't Ronaldo a free agent now?

15. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not particularly bothered as to whether it's loan signings or permanent signings. I'm more bothered about how good they are, as opposed to whether they'll still be here in August.

From Kevin Campbell to Christoph Dugarry to Jesse Lingard, loan signings can have a massive impact in the second half of a season.

That said, whether loan or permanent, I'm not too convinced right now that we're going to do sufficient business. I pray that I'm wrong, and we'll have to wait and see.

OddRiverOakWizards and Le Saint like this.
  16. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

We need some players to absolutely ****house the midfield.

17. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

We need 3 at a minimum. DM, ST and winger/10 and we need them to be good enough to come straight in and make a difference.

18. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Yep, agreed. Not 'ones for the future', but ones to make the difference now.

19. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Slightly worried by the Athletic report that they only think we need a striker and a #8 and that they’re exploring the loan market… we need real starting level talent in the wide/10 position and desperately.

The failure in the summer window has totally hamstrung us now after a summer where we were probably, to externals, at our most attractive for several years.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  20. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Lavia getting injured has cost us a lot with no back up.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.