1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

The reason Ralph's name is cropping up, in my opinion, is because there's not THAT many managers currently in PL jobs who could move to Newcastle/Villa as the jobs appear.

Tuchel, Pep, Klopp, Conte, Arteta, Solskjaer, - wouldn't move 'downwards'. You could arguably add Rodgers to this list.

Vieira, Lage (Wolves), Benitez, Ranieri - all too new to consider moving already

Bielsa, Dyche - too 'attached' to their current clubs?

This only leaves Ralph, Potter and Thomas Frank as the possibilities of current PL managers who might both consider and be considered. On current form Potter has to be the favoured but also least reason to move. Southampton to the majority of media are a selling club, and that goes for the managers as well as the players for most journalists.

2. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

Hopefully you are right and this is the “logic” applied by the media. It certainly makes sense when explained that way

It also comes across very similar to all the articles talking about how we sold our two best defenders in addition to Ings and so were nailed on relegation candidates. People who said that literally don’t watch Saints and were going off Vestergaard’s rave reviews on motd during his purple patch and bertrand’s performances from two years ago

But because they were Southampton sales they were bigged up both to boost the purchaser and to be used as a stick to beat us with

tiggermaster likes this.
  3. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I was thinking exactly along the same lines. It does not seem at all credible. that anyone would leave another Premier League club to join them. What is staggering is that Scott Parker's name has never been mentioned in any of these discussions.

4. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I was thinking just that last night.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  5. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I think it'll be Gerrard, it's only a matter of time before he is "tested" in the PL and it won't be with the Scousers yet.

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Might be because Parker has only just joined Bournemouth.

7. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

I thought that Parker was Lady Penelope's chauffeur

8. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

And they are flying . I have heard from someone Mrs J knows that he is loving it there and of course they are loving him .

9. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Southampton's Ralph Hasenhuttl is another admired by Villa but has strong loyalty to Southampton, while Brighton's Graham Potter would be another prime contender for any vacant post, but it is highly doubted he would currently be tempted away from the Amex Stadium.

From the bbc .

10. BackFromBeyond

BackFromBeyond Well-Known Member

On the basis, they've mentioned Ralph as a candidate, despite being at a long established PL club, significant above Norwich. So why not mention a manager at a club currently likely to replace Norwich the PL - and actually invest in the team in order to stay there - too?

Edit - Ah, you're talking about Villa <doh>

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Lemons and Oranges likes this.

11. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

And if he does take on Villa, their fans will be in the mindset we were when Hoddle came to us, ie waiting for the call from Spurs, only in their case Liverpool when Klopp decides he's off somewhere else.

12. Gregm1988

Thing is - surely he would still need to do a very good job for them to qualify for liverpool

I imagine they (liverpool) will look over at Manchester as an example of what not to do

Ian Thumwood likes this.
  13. Brinkworth Saint

Hoddle's time with us steadied the ship, that's all. Half decent job at Villa and if the phone rings, he'll be on the Liverpool training ground considering his options.

14. Gregm1988

But Spurs then and liverpool now are very different prospects . They were no way near being challengers for anything

15. Brinkworth Saint

I agree but the emotional groundswell an Gerrard's own deep connection might just be enough. What I'm really thinking is that he will never be fully committed to another PL club.

16. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

Sorry guys. I just skimmed read so I may of missed the tone. There is no way Ralph will leave us for the villa or Norwich. He has been with us nearly three years mainly through lean and is now just building a team where we can compete with the top 8. Ralph is about building his football credentials not a fast buck. He will leave us one day, but it will be for a job at the top table, not ****ing Villa

17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Well said, couldn’t agree more.

18. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

With Parker, it's a tricky one. There's no question that Villa/Newcastle come with far more resources than Bournemouth, but they're also jobs where (Newcastle in particular) they'll be looking for your replacement from day one. Makes some sense to get to the PL with Bournemouth, and maybe have a bit better of a negotiating position if seeking a more prestigious job.

19. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Change Ralph to Ronald and Villa to Everton and this was deja vu

20. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I'm mentally prepared for Ralph going whereas Ronald was a complete shock. I think the main difference is that I don't see Villa tripling Ralph's wages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. EasyBreezer