1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

I can see Poch to UTD happening.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  2. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Is it just me that does not get the love in with De Zerbi?

Largely just continued Brighton on the path they were under with Potter and after 1 strong season became egotistical and difficult with the club and results started to decline pretty significantly near the end anyway.

It’s not like Koeman after Poch here where he basically had to start from scratch with half a new squad then improved us two seasons on the bounce.

3. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Not sure about that - the first season he had them, he improved them a lot over the Potter years (having lived in Brighton for 20 years, I have a lot of Brighton supporting mates - they were utterly taken by him). They fell away this year a bit, because he and Bloom disagreed massively over their transfer policy, which obviously disrupted the team and performances (and RDZ's commitment).

Bloom wants only to buy up and coming superstars (Mitoma, Estupinan, Ferguson etc), supplemented by your Lallana/Milner types, coming to the end of their careers, but who bring a winning mentality to the dressing room (a bit like Lawrie used to). They're cheap, and he's been massively successful doing so. RDZ wanted to bring in the mid twenties, peak of career folk. He persuaded Bloom as a result to buy Igor, Dahoud and Fati - none of which have worked out.

So, that was a power struggle that was only going one way. And rightly so. The success of that club is Bloom generated.

Saying that, RDZ is an excellent coach. He's far better than Koeman. I do agree though, it's going to be interesting to see how he gets on at his next club, particularly if it's a mad one like Chelsea.

4. Le Tissier's Laces

Though in the unlikely event Bayern's interest is real, I don't think it'll have fallen too far!

Osvaldorama likes this.
  5. Johnnywarkstache

Johnnywarkstache Well-Known Member

We are in the process of cloning him already <laugh>

6. Johnnywarkstache

I hope he does what Poch did for you and stayed for a while longer before moving on

If the worst case happens and you don’t go up on Sunday do you want Martin to stay?

7. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Poch only did one and a half seasons with us, basically left as soon as a bigger club was interested.

I think Martin should go if we don’t go up, if he can’t get this squad promoted then I don’t back him to get next seasons cheaper squad promoted. But think I’m in the minority on that one

8. Johnnywarkstache

In most other years your points total would have got you up automatically, it was just a crazy one off season. I'm pretty sure that your owners will pull the trigger if you dont go up given the huge amounts of money involved but then who would you bring in! On the bright side you would get an easy 6 points from Portsmouth on your way to promotion.

9. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I worry that RM’s system will fall apart against better teams.
    The two teams that won automatic promotion both did the double over us, which IMO doesn’t bode well for playing against better teams with better players and better managers.

10. Saintmagic

Oh yeah I’m convinced that we would get battered a lot in the PL with him in charge, but seems harsh to sack him if we got promoted.

We can wait til Xmas to fire him in that scenario

11. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Essentially it will be the same as we did to Nigel. He knew when we got promoted that he would be out the door as soon as someone better came along.

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

Interesting use of the term worst case there :bandit:

13. Saintmagic

I think the Adkins thing was planned all along. He wasn’t the right man long term in Cortese eyes. Poch was identified early on in the season and we were sat about 15th when he was appointed which was pretty good all things considering.

I think Martin is seen as possibly the man by the board. I don’t think they will be identifying people as early as we did with Poch, and I don’t think he would be sacked if we were sat 15th.

Anyway it’s all hypothetical until after the game on Sunday.

Number 1 Jasper and ChilcoSaint like this.
  14. Le Tissier's Laces

I'd be pretty happy with 15th tbf.

15. Saintmagic

Im sure the board would be as well. Can’t see it personally and think we are much more likely to be next seasons Sheff Utd if we were to go up than finishing a few spots above the relegation zone

If we aren’t getting into Europe then I’d rather we got relegated tbh. Don’t see the point at all in finishing 9th -17th but that’s just me

16. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

My Ipswich supporting colleague thinks they do.

17. Saintmagic

They’ll need to sign players for sure, i don’t know enough about their team to know how many.

We signed 10 the last time we went up and that was with a team that had players like Lambert, Fonte, Schneiderlin and Lallana who all went on to have very good top flight careers

18. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

We’d probably need similar if we went up. Not least because of squad spaces currently taken by loans. And then players leaving and a new goalkeeper

but my friend specifically made a forest reference with regards to Ipswich and said their squad was mostly the league one squad

19. Saintmagic

Well the players I listed for us were all in the League One team as well, but I do think that it is unlikely you have the core of a team in League One that can play at PL level.

We are going to be having a busy summer regardless of promotion. Arguably less busy if we go up as we might be able to keep Adams/S Armstrong/KWP/some loanees/maybe others like Bednarek if we do go up where as they will all need to be replaced if we don’t

20. Le Tissier's Laces

I believe KWP is off regardless.