1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The project - random idea / wishful thinking

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Chunksafc, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Been thinking about the "project" and whilst I am fully on board with it i do wonder if we may have an issue if things go as well as we hope.

We have brought in some fantastic prospects to compliment the players and if they progress as we hope then we have the makings of a brilliant team, certainly one that can challenge for promotion next season.

What if we get offers next summer for say Cirkin or Clarke from low end premier league clubs and they don't want to leave as they can see the potential and are enjoying playing regular?

It's probably me with my red and white glasses in, but Cirkin and Clarke came from spurs where they were never getting games, are growing with us and maybe they would see us as a better place / opportunity than a bottom half of the premier league team.

I know it's about money most of the time and it's a short career, but wouldn't it be nice if these players grew together and didn't actually want to leave

2. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

We will sell when it’s right both sides.

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that the club is being managed superbly financially, or appears to be, and we are a bigger club than half of the Premier League.

I’m sure the model to sell some on will be balanced, if we hit the PL and gain £2-300 million a season extra revenue then sales will be on our terms.

That mad stat about only making profit on Bent and a couple more in about 20 years will get absolutely destroyed when or if we make sales from the first 11.

I’d genuinely want £10million to be a starting bid for any of Cirkin, Clarke or Stewart. Ballards value will rocket.

Love to see Huggins get fit and stay fit cos he’s gonna be another one if he can get back playing.

3. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

That's the point I attempting to make, not very well.

Maybe, just maybe some of these lads really buy into the club and want to hit the premiership with us in the hope of getting that really really big move rather than just a move to just any premier League club?

4. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

It’s exciting mate and I’m really looking forward to how this plays out.

5. Scout73

Scout73 Well-Known Member

The key with this project is to then reinvest in even more quality if/when we sell players for good money.

I honestly cant remember being so excited about the potential of so many of our players as i am with this squad

6. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I definitely think that when the mood is right and the crowd is behind us many will want to stay.

The support can go both ways. If players want to be here the club won’t force them out to make the money. If the players want to be here it’ll mean we are moving forward and we will see extra income that way too.

The quality we have brought in last 2 seasons v the outlay is unbelievable.

7. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

You can see why TM said he was getting carried away in his after match press talk.

Doesn't take a genius to work out the potential we have brought in

8. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I finally feel like the club is moving forward and has become a well-run, modern football club. The entirety of the set up and the way things are being done are what I've been wishing for for years (I'm sure I can trawl through some old posts and find examples of me banging on about it from years ago). This is why I don't understand the criticism that Speakman, or even KLD to an extent, still seems to be getting. They will, and do, get things wrong, and Speakman might not be everyone's cup of tea as a bloke, but at least they're trying to run our football club the right way. I'm so ****ing excited about the potential of all this. We're seriously on the up now!

9. Brainy Dose

Brainy Dose Well-Known Member

Confirms how important the skills of Harvey and Young are to this club.

NC Sanddancer, FellTop, Nads and 4 others like this.
  10. Sol97uk

Sol97uk Well-Known Member

Think a lot of the criticism is do with fans being impatient and the fact a lot believe you need to spend millions to buy decent players. We've brought in 8 players, a lot exciting young players with very little outlay. It shows we are investing, backing the managers without breaking the bank. Exciting times ahead i think.

Would love to have seen forums back in 97 when we signed Phillips for 350k. I think everyone would have been calling reid and murray over that transfer.

11. Jarca

Jarca Well-Known Member

And Craddock who was announced around the same time

FellTop, Nads, Whittylad and 2 others like this.
  12. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

One of my favourite players and apparently a really decent bloke

13. Jarca

Jarca Well-Known Member

Great artist also

14. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

I think the key thing for us fans with this model is to be not too disappointed if/when these lads move on as there will be another gem waiting to be unearthed. If they go for big money then they have done well for us, hopefully that means promotion to the PL and they choose to stay but if they go then we can reinvest.

The other this is, if we do so well with this model the we need to keep hold of Speakman, Harvey and Young (the new data guy) as they will be in demand as well.

15. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

The plan for Clarke and Cirkin should be, they stay with us unless a top 6 club comes in offering £30 + million because that is 100% their potential.

16. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Players will inevitably move on and, to a certain degree, we should see that as part of the club being successful. We might, as you say, lose some of the other staff too but, hopefully, we'll manage to keep them long enough for the structures and systems to become so ingrained, and integral to the club, that when that happens the good work they've done remains.

17. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

I get the impression we have already got targets we are watching / tracking for the players we may end up selling.

It does seem a very well oiled machine and very very clear of the type of players. Matete and Djaku are good examples to me of the system, you can see their is a player there but they need coaching to bring it out which is why they are way under the radar.

18. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

I think they are laying the right foundations for years to come, when these young players are at their prime of 25, 26 we will probably cash in on them for big money, however we will have another 20 year old as their replacement with probably a 17 year old behind him, it will be a continuous system, that is why the recruitment has to be perfect when bringing these young lads in.
    How high we can go with this model nobody knows but it looks a lot better than any other system we've had before

19. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

There’s a ceiling for this kind of thing but if we reach that ceiling the model can be reviewed.

The ceiling for me is Leicester finishing 5th. We look really ****ing Leicester right now and that’s a really great thing for where we were a year ago.

My absolute dream is to see the lads play in Europe, any competition, any country, and we can get there.

The club gets to that level, we won’t need sell anyone.

20. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

Although it's inevitable that players will be wanted by other clubs. I want to be totally selfish and keep them at the club, buy other players to slot in alongside them, get promoted and take the Premier League by storm and then conquer Europe. I can but dream

cumbrianmackem and Chunksafc like this.