1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Racehorse Story

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by NassauBoard, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Just caught up with the Plumpton race. Clearly a very genuine horse. Was the consensus that he didn’t particularly enjoy the sharp turns? Does a 4th place mean you’d consider the EBF final?

2. stick

stick Bumper King

The track really looked like it didn’t suit him so we will stick to galloping tracks in future and especially ones with an emphasis on stamina.
    The EBF Final is at Sandown so has to be a target but we will try to find him race early Feb and see how he is. I have a preference but probably won’t get a vote next time!

Ron and Chaninbar like this.
  3. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Well the discussions were had after Hexham, what should we aim Rocky at next? We had options open, we got a mark of 118, and he was still eligible for novice hurdles.

I was of the opinion that we should head straight into handicaps, given he was going to be 7 by the time of his next run, I thought staying in novice hurdles wasn't what I wanted. However our man in Spain had spotted an EBF qualifier, over the same trip as Hexham but this time in the South, at Plumpton. The qualification would be top 4, and it would allow entry into the final at Sandown in March.

Discussions were had within the syndicate and we suggested that we enter Rocky in a couple of races, the one at Plumpton and a handicap hurdle at Wincanton the day previous. However it was clear that others in the syndicate had their mind set on Plumpton, and therefore at entry stage, I decided to save us a few pounds and enter solely at Plumpton.

Then the entries came out, 13 runners including a horse who had finished second in a grade 2 on its last run!! This looked ominous but the goal would still be the same, and that was qualification for the final. I bullishly told the yard to declare Rocky, and others can worry about the race.

As the declarations closed, it looked a much more winnable race, with a few last time out winners, but no runner from Paul Nicholls or Nicky Henderson. It looked ideal, and the ground was stated as Heavy, soft in places!! This looked like a prime opportunity.

However, a lot changes in 48 hours, and with two dry days we turned up at Plumpton with worries about whether the conditions were ideal. We had a good number of the syndicate at the course and we enjoyed the day, but the race was frustrating to say the least.

The idea was to jump off prominently and then kick early to make it into a staying test. However, it turned completely the opposite with Daire having to niggle Rocky from the start to stay with the field. He stayed nicely and turning for home I was hoping for a solid finish, I thought if he was within a length after the turn, he had a right old chance.

Unfortunately they quickened and he didn't on the turn for home, and he was caught out of his ground. He jumped the last two hurdles well and finished a not too distant 4th, beaten just over 5 lengths. He was giving weight to two of those ahead, whilst the other is a 120 horse who had won a handicap at Sandown off 114. Not too shabby, but not what we were hoping for.

I must admit I was really disappointed, but in retrospect, I probably shouldn't be, he had run another solid race, in which he showed that he is honest and tries his best. It was circumstances that didn't play into his strengths, the ground dried, the course was sharp and it wasn't a thorough test.

Most importantly he came back safe and well, and we can now ponder which race to go for next... who knows, if he runs well next time, that fourth place finish and a trip to Sandown for the EBF final might still be on the cards.

Saf, redcgull, Ardent1965 and 4 others like this.
  4. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Sound and honest analysis Nass <applause>

Sandown's hurdle course is renowned for turning heavy after a light shower so you never know <ok>

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

..... and a stiff finish

6. OddDog

Staff Member

A 124 rated horse being smashed up for the Pertemps Qualifier at Warwick. Won off 118 last time. Just saying ;)

7. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

....but good front-runners often do well at Sandown regardless of the stiff uphill finish. Well, at least they used to! <whistle> :emoticon-0105-wink:

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Probably because they stay well and run the finish out of the others

SwanHills likes this.
  9. NassauBoard

I had the joy of spending the morning at Ravenswell with @stick yesterday before he joined us at Cheltenham racecourse. Hopefully he will share some photos of his morning!

We are close to Rocky's next run, which should be next week at some point. It is a shame the weather isn't really being favourable for us, so we need to pick and choose the correct race.

Ardent1965, SwanHills, Ron and 2 others like this.
  10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As regards the ground Nass, if horses prefer a certain surface, it must be difficult to train as one would like if the ground keeps changing. How does that affect Rocky's training?

11. NassauBoard

I think we are fortunate that he goes on soft and heavy, so in many ways it is easy for them to train him. We have just left the best part of a month between runs, and then pick races that are likely to be on the softer going at that time. He probably will be fine on good-soft too, which is what he had a Plumpton.

The harder story would be those who don't like cut in the ground, but are in training for the NH season. They have to be targeted very carefully and if they are hard to keep well at home (so headstrong etc) they can boil over and lose condition.

Rocky is as chilled as they come, he works, he eats and he sleeps. So actually getting him ready for runs, is pretty straightforward.

Ardent1965 and Ron like this.
  12. Ardent1965

Ardent1965 Well-Known Member

Your bang on with having a NH horse that's looking for better ground. I have a share in a mare with NH and looking fwd to some good spring going....

13. NassauBoard

Declared for Saturday, likely to be ground faster than ideal but who knows with Sandown! It could ride very testing still.

Ron and OddDog like this.
  14. OddDog

Staff Member

16/1 this evening. First time going right-handed, maybe he'll have a touch of Desert Orchid about him and be much better that way round <ok>

How the hell has Henderson got the top one in off 124 though <laugh>

Race will be shown on ITV <ok>

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3lb worse off with Classic Anthem with just over 5l to make up. This is where inside info is essential. On form should not be reversing those places BUT - how much better is Rocky than shown on that day? That is the big question for me, without looking at the others. He shouldn't be winning this on form but the form book is useless. Good luck Nass. Hope he wins and lands a nice gamble for you and, of course comes home safe and sound. The other big question of course is, are you out to win this, or to get the handicap mark reduced. Don' t answer <laugh>

16. stick

stick Bumper King

Win if possible. We want to get in the EBF Final next month if he is good enough and to be sure of getting in the race we need to go up a few pounds.

17. stick

stick Bumper King

We will be 4lb better off with Classic Anthem and on a track much more to our liking.

25/1 generally, very fair.

18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

How will he be 4lb better off stick?

19. OddDog

Staff Member

Discounting the jockey‘s claim they ran off level weights last time (it wasn’t a handicap). At Sandown Rocky gets 4lb in the handicap.

Ron likes this.
  20. gillamandango

gillamandango Active Member

I assume you are looking at the Racing Post Result Ron, where they always show the Weight adjusted claim in the results (very confusing). ATR Results show it too.

The race card that day shows, as OddDog says, they ran off levels.

Hot little race tomorrow, hope Nicky's got the Jab this week! All the best and safe home.

Attached Files:

Ron likes this.