1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Racehorse Story

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by NassauBoard, Nov 22, 2023.

1. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

I like updating this, it means we have had something new to talk about, and this time it is another race.

After Plumpton, I was really disappointed (yes, I am still going on about it) , and everyone at the course knew it, I thought we hadn't given Rocky the best chance, and to be honest, I didn't think we had learnt very much. However after a few days, this changed somewhat, we had learnt that we need to test Rocky over a course that would be more suitable for him, so no tight turns and more stamina requirements.

We had a look at the races as a syndicate and then I had a chat with the yard, and races were suggested over 2 1/2 miles and 3 miles, on tracks that might suit more. One of these races was at Exeter and another was at Sandown.

Now it might be looking at this with hindsight, but a novice 0-125 on a grade 1 day was likely to be tougher than an open 0-120 elsewhere, and I think that has been proven true this season. Last year the Sandown race was won by a 107 rated horse, this year it was a 124 rated horse from Nicky Henderson's yard!!

I think we were unfortunate that the rain has disappeared for a few weeks, and that has meant that we have had what people would term "spring" ground. It means that we probably should have gone up in trip, but we wanted to see whether Rocky could cope in a good race on a big day.

We went for Sandown, and we turned up in good numbers, and I must admit, I think we had a great day out. We asked Daire to be really positive and we found that Rocky can go with a gallop over 2 1/2 miles on good-soft ground, and once again he jumped beautifully.

Rocky finished 6th in the end, but this was much more pleasing than Plumpton, we had learnt that he could run from the front and compete in this class of race in a handicap. It did show that he doesn't have the speed of the front two, but given the positive ride I thought he acquitted himself really well.

We now know that at the 2 1/2 mile trip he needs softer ground or a lesser competition, but we also know that he has looked a real stayer in his races and this may be the last time we run over this trip. It looks likely we will be going up in trip next time out and we might not be bumping into horses with such progressive profiles.

It will soon be time for his summer holidays, and with chasing on the radar we have plenty of excitement left for the journey with Rocky.

2. NassauBoard

3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Great update Nass.

I think Newbury could really suit him. I know it’s too late now but there is a class 3 handicap hurdle over 3 miles at Newbury this Saturday and it will be interesting to see how that pans out. Marks of those entered range from 137 (Hititi) right down to 109 (Stratton Oakmont). That sort of contest could be the right type of race for his next run.

I guess no preference for going left or right-handed?

4. NassauBoard

He jumps beautifully either way round, so options are open. The conversation this time will be whether we go for the lowest level of handicap or go for a better level and risk meeting better horses like we did on Saturday.

OddDog likes this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I hope you don't mind Nass, but I would like to watch the race again with Amanda, if only to raise a couple of questions for you to discuss with your trainer/jockey. Just say, if you would rather I didn't

6. NassauBoard

Go for it, I will probably just ignore them if I don’t like the questions.

7. Ardent1965

Ardent1965 Well-Known Member

Great update lots of fun trials/tribulations.

8. NassauBoard

Friday at Exeter for the next installment

Ardent1965 likes this.
  9. OddDog

Staff Member

16/1 on Sporting Life (IT glitch??) - looks way too big given he is one of the least exposed runners and the step up in trip is bound to suit. Ground in his favour too, should go very close off 116 I reckon <ok>

10. OddDog

Staff Member

8.00 AM inspection - is @stick risking a flight over?

11. stick

stick Bumper King

Landed three hours ago to that news!
    ****ing ****hole country!

OddDog likes this.
  12. NassauBoard

You know if the meeting is in doubt, @stick is over

OddDog likes this.
  13. OddDog

Staff Member

Fingers crossed

14. Ardent1965

Good luck @stick

stick likes this.
  15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good luck

16. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Stick and Nassau. Rocky has a great chance with conditions in his favour but, first and foremost,and most importantly, is that he returns safe and sound from his endeavours today.

Chaninbar likes this.
  17. OddDog

Staff Member

Unlucky guys but he lives to fight another day <ok>

I thought he looked like a horse trying 3 miles for the first time - just ran out of steam. 6 runs in 4 months maybe taken their toll? A summer on his back will do him the world of good.

18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Diificult choice now. Is try him over the distance again in less testing ground, or back to shorter distance in testing ground. Seems he doesn't stay 3m in testing ground and doesn't have the speed at the end of the shorter distance on goodish ground

19. stick

stick Bumper King

That’s a pretty accurate analysis Ron. Chasing should bring out the best in him with less emphasis on speed.

Ron, Saf, SwanHills and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ardent1965

You have to remain optimistic I wouldn't rule anything out as he's just finding his feet isnt he... they are great at making fools out of us.