1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Season - Highs & Lows

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by PGFWhite, May 15, 2016.

1. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

What a season! Highlights and lowlights – there’s been plenty along the way but now we can sit back, put our feet up for the season and relax in the comfort of a mid table finish, hoping we can better it next season.
    Although we recently beat Chelsea, I actually enjoyed our 2-2 at Stamford Bridge even more. A hot, humid August afternoon saw the temperature boil over as the Swans should have beaten the English Champions on their own patch as Jose lost his rag.

This was followed up by a victory over Man U (which I missed) before our slide began. A woeful performance at Watford was followed by a relegation performance at Southampton. “Relegation?” some said “It’s too early to mention that”. It wasn’t. A few more performances like that and we’d be in trouble.
    Those performances came.

Defeat to Stoke at the Liberty (0-1) was a lowpoint, along with batterings by Leicester and Arsenal. When Sunderland won 4-2 at the Liberty with the help of the man in black the alarm bells were ringing.

Monk was sacked. Curtis came in. Curtis went out. Guidolin came in. Guidolin was ill. Curtis came in. Guidolin came back.

The shoots of recovery were shown at Crystal Palace. A gutsy 0-0 with a “weakened” team set the tone for the rest of the season. Our “weakened” teams produced performances and results which was pleasing to see.

A narrow defeat at Old Trafford will be remembered for THAT header. Up came Fabianski in the 89th minute, met the cross and BOOM – just wide. A chance for legendary status just missed.

Like most teams in the Premiership there was a mixed bag of performances to come. After a 7 hour midweek journey to Arsenal, supporters heads went down when the team was announced. After the initial battering Arsenal took the lead, but the Swans made a miraculous recovery to secure another famous victory at the Emirates.

Another epic journey saw us travel to Newcastle. Up at 4am, the bus left the Liberty at 5am. A two and a half hour delay on the motorway outside Newcastle saw our supporters scambling up the stands in Newcastle at 3.25pm only to witness a 3-0 mauling. The day was so bad it was funny …almost.

Another mauling by Leicester and the knives were out for Mr Guidolin.

He responded well. Victories over Chelsea and Liverpool followed up by an EPIC 4-1 thrashing of West Ham. The icing on the cake of an eventful season.

To top it off we welcomed Man City to the Liberty, fresh from their Champions League defeat by Real Madrid. A hard earned 1-1 draw was a fitting end to a memorable season.

And we've got to do it all again next year!

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Low for the season for me was Monk's final 3 games in charge after Norwich , 3 games he shouldn't have been in charge .... Hi point for me was Guidolin watching from the stands as Curtis guided us to a crucial , crucial win against Watford . Beating Everton right after that was probably 2nd , but that Watford win was massive .

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  3. swans-cartoonhead

swans-cartoonhead Well-Known Member

Well a mad season has ended with a mad last day.

Arsenal fans moaning about a crap season; Wenger out etc. God knows what would have happened if they'd finished third!

Newcastle players going into 'shop window' mode and finally doing what they were paid for (but doing it for themselves with an eye to potential transfers rather than for their loyal, and long suffering, fans).

A Man U bomb scare that turned out to be a prop left by the people who train staff in 'what to do in the event of a bomb scare!'

And us finishing a very respectable 12th after some of the 'performances' we have had to sit through this term.

If this season had been a Hollywood film people would say it was 'A Touch Far Vetched!' ;)

4. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Good post PGF, I salute you sir for those away trips, especially the Toon one.............<cheers>

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  5. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Well it really was a case of "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" for "Die Hard" fans...

6. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

One word for me - rollercoaster. Glad it's over with. <ok>

seabreeze and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  7. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

A **** sandwich.

Started the season sinking my teeth into the top layer of some really nice fresh bread.
    Then came the **** filling for the main bulk.
    Then finished up with some nice bread again, although the overwhelming taste of **** was still lingering on the tastebuds.

High Point : Montero ripping Ivanovic a new one on the opening day.
    Low Point : Worst refereeing I have ever witnessed against Sunderland back in January. Am still appalled by it.

8. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

The best part for me was when the whistle went on Sunday and we fcuk this season off and be better prepared next season...

9. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I agree with this. After the Sunderland game I had an awful feeling of dread that that plonker of a ref had condemned us to the drop!

seabreeze and Taffvalerowdy like this.