1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The SIR Kenny Dalglish Public House

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Sir_Red, Jan 28, 2011.

1. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

I find it usually a pointless exercise, they all charge more or less the same. As long as your not on their basic package so they can just put the prices up when ever, one company is much the same as another.

Alway the same you'll pay £15 less a month eith these, right up until they take a meter reading and your not paying enough snd back up it goes.

Waste of time.

2. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Seems to be very different from car insurance where gets lot cheaper deals by moving around.

Did find some stuff on money saving expert site about how the cost of energy has sky rocketed in last 6 months and cheapest deals are now 44% more expensive than they were then due to wholesale price so if renewing soon not gonna get anything cheaper than currently on <doh>

Looks like things gonna get more expensive from November just as we use more electricity/gas then <doh>

THE FOOL likes this.
  3. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Usually change provider every year but didn't bother last year for first time in ages. Not looked for this year yet

4. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Usually save money by switching but even if you don't, you can get cash back for switching so still worthwhile.

5. THE FOOL

I dont think I've ever done a cash back switch thing, to be honest I usually can't be arsed, however alot of this cones from having an electricity meter that seemingly doesn't exist, moving company always turns into hard work.

Same with most things, if I weigh up the time it takes to do against how long it takes I usually just leave it.

Zanjinho likes this.
  6. Gerrardsitchyear

Gerrardsitchyear Well-Known Member

The cap has been moved so energy companies are all upping their prices as of 1st October.

7. moreinjuredthanowen

so wait out the month and see all the prices including our own one and then switch?

I've always seen savings when you switch gas and electricity suppliers (and modile phone and internet)

(They are all just peddling access)

8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

It's not hard work. You choose a company and they do everything, all you have to do is provide a meter reading. Often get £250+ cash back too

Electric companies do insist on a smart meter to qualify for their terms now though, ****s

9. THE FOOL

£250 is not to be sneezed at. Which site is that?

10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I tend to use QuidCo but USwitch is similar. Probably others too. As I said though, I've not looked recently.

Edit; actually, I think the £250 was when I switched to Virgin Media rather than switching the utilities. I think utilities was more around £100 mark. Sorry, can't remember

THE FOOL likes this.

11. Milky

Milky bar kid

So how does this energy switching work? They surely can't run separate wires to your house when you switch?

Do they just all contribute to the same grid and just get money back when reading your meter... Obviously no way to know which company any given watt came from.

Amusing the UK more capitalistic than the US about this. We just have local monopolies and local governments regulate how much they are allowed to charge.

12. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

We have distribution network operators who deal with the actual networks, and then companies like British Gas, edf energy who you buy your energy from and they’re the ones that charge you a monthly bill.

The DNO’s get a small amount from the bill and the rest goes to the actual suppliers.

essentially to customers it makes no diff who energy supplier is as it’s all the same wires etc, but some have diff tariffs so cheaper rates, fixed rates, variable rates etc. In theory it promotes competition so not just a monopoly but tbh they all end up putting their prices up around same time anyway as it’s all dependant on wholesale costs

13. Milky

Milky bar kid

Hmmm... Sounds like just another layer of people who need to be paid then... Just middlemen.

14. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Well there is one DNO for each area of the country essentially (about 7 in total)

So if they all supplied the energy as well as maintain the network would have zero competition so would generate less improvements, price competition, level of service etc.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  15. moreinjuredthanowen

no you see with the whole EU thing and all of that, you have had to "privatise" and "open up" for competition. Another evil EU scheme to hurt our good British monopolies of course.

so someone owns the wires and someone owns the generation.

then "providers" sell the electrons to the persons house. A uniquely hilarious system really.

You are absolutely right there is obviously no way to know.

My own company are PROUD of the fact they only use "sustainable" electricity purchased from renewable sources. obviously they are using allsort of electrons for all kinds of sources.

It is rather funny.

16. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

In the future it’ll all change anyway. At some point prob not too far away, households will start generating their own electricity to use and sell back into the network at times of high demand etc.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  17. Milky

Milky bar kid

I'm planning on doing kinda that. When the new house is finished being built and we sell the old house, I plan on putting some of the money we get from that into buying solar panels- roof will be facing almost completely South. Also, I'm on a well and septic tank so hopefully can be completely utility free... No paying for electricity, water, or sewage.

Our local electricity provider where the new house is won't pay us for the surplus, but any surplus we produce we get to use from the grid for free... So if we make excess during the day, we can use that much excess at night without paying for it.

/ Side note... ridiculous how much it costs to be connected to sewers where I currently am. I pay more for sewage connection than I do for water.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

The batteries required now are cheap ish. 11k or something can set you up.

19. moreinjuredthanowen

Well boris has done it again

You.want something out of the eu on northern ireland ****e so you go do a deal with the usa to give nuclear subs to Australia and royally piss off the french who had a deal selling conventional subs for 30billion or something.

French recall their ambassadors which is unheard of between NATO's allies.

Best of luck getting anything out of the EU now bojo.

20. THE FOOL

International diplomacy at its best.