1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The SIR Kenny Dalglish Public House

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Sir_Red, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Turbia Milk

Turbia Milk Well-Known Member

Must be something to do with tax codes or something... Very rare over here compared to UK.

2. Garlic Klopp

Garlic Klopp Well-Known Member

It is an odd British thing. Some people, especially in the recent past, thought the better company car you drove the more senior people would consider you. Even down to trim levels on the same model!

When the Americans took over our company they tried to get rid of company cars, once staff started leaving for companies that gave a car they soon backtracked.

Turbia Milk likes this.
  3. moreinjuredthanowen

It's an absolutely thing.

It goes all the way back to the 70s and 80s when company cars were given in lieu of bonuses due to tax

You.could clearly distinguish a man's (and it was men) social standing by their car.

The higher the spec the better person you were apparently.

4. Turbia Milk

Yeah, my Dad always had a company car. Our telephone was paid for by the company too. Is it not a tax benefit that way, you're not paying income tax and VAT it's just the company paying VAT? I've always assumed there is some such tax benefit that way... Or discount from company buying fleet vehicles.

It's funny, in the US it's almost the reverse.... To a degree at least. A lot of the more expensive cars are driven by poorer people.

It's not that unusual to see the less expensive homes, like shotgun houses and trailers with super expensive muscle cars and pickups (the fancier bigger trucks are super expensive these days) in the driveway... And the more average homes with more modest cars in the driveway. Obviously the rich have more luxury cars than the median... But oftentimes the poor have better cars than the median too.

There are plenty of poorer homes where the cars in the driveway are worth more than the house itself.

I was reading an article once explaining why youths in poverty like expensive multi-£100 trainers. (I don't think I've ever paid more than $40 for a pair... Only buy on sale). It's the illusion of luxury. It's one status symbol they can aspire towards.

I suspect that's the same as the people in trailers with the $80k cars... It might make up over half their pay cheque, but it's a luxury they can afford if broken down over six years of payments. It's something that makes them feel better about themselves because it's a luxury they can aspire towards.

Warren Buffett, mega billionaire (not sure how famous he is in the UK) famously drives a 30 year old low-trim rusting pickup as his daily driver.

5. Garlic Klopp

please log in to view this image

6. saintPort&Ginger

Easier to nick a car than a house.

7. Garlic Klopp

please log in to view this image

8. Garlic Klopp

Erik ten Hag walks into a bank to cash a cheque. As he approaches the cashier he says, "Good morning, Ms could you please cash this cheque for me?"
    Cashier:"It would be my pleasure. Could you please show me your ID?"
    Ten Hag:"Truthfully, I did not bring my ID with me as I didn't think there was any need to. I am Erik ten Hag, Manager of Manchester United”.
    Cashier: "Yes, I know who you are, but with all the regulations and monitoring of the banks because of impostors and forgers and requirements of the legislation, etc., I must insist on seeing ID."
    Ten Hag: Just ask anyone here at the bank who I am and they will tell you. Everybody knows who I am."
    Cashier: "I am sorry, Mr Ten Hag but these are the bank rules and I must follow them."
    Ten Hag:"Come on please, I am urging you, please cash this cheque."
    Cashier: "Look sir, here is an example of what we can do. One day, Tiger Woods came into the bank without ID. To prove he was Tiger Woods he pulled out his putter and made a beautiful shot across the bank into a cup. With that shot we knew him to be Tiger Woods and cashed his cheque."
    "Another time, Andre Agassi came in without ID. He pulled out his tennis racket and made a fabulous shot where the tennis ball landed in my cup. With that shot we cashed his cheque. So, sir, what can you do to prove that it is you and only you?"
    Erik stands there thinking and thinking and finally says, "Honestly, my mind is a total blank...there is nothing that comes to my mind. I can't think of a single thing. I have absolutely no idea what to do. I don't have a clue."
    Cashier: "Will that be large or small notes , Mr Ten Hag?”

9. Garlic Klopp

Sky Sports is reporting that a Man United training session was delayed for nearly 2 hours today after a player reported finding an unknown white powdery substance on the pitch.
    Training was suspended and the police were called. After a complete analysis, experts determined that the white substance unknown to the players was the Goal Line.
    Training resumed after the police decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again this season.

10. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Aurora Borealis anyone?..................impressive even down here in the Bay of St. Malo :shocked:

11. Turbia Milk

Yes, never thought I'd ever see it in South Carolina but we got some pretty impressive lights down here too. Our latitude is essentially the same as Marrakech in Morocco... So assuming the whole Northern Hemisphere got it as strongly I suspect some people in Africa got to see it too... Which is crazy it went so far.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    organic red likes this.
  12. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

Didn't read that correctly, wondered what position Mr borealis plays. The things a little bit of sun does to the brain.

organic red and Solid Alboland like this.
  13. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

InFrancroatiaWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Didn’t even know was happening

14. Turbia Milk

If you missed it last night, I think that it might still be visible tonight too.

15. organic red

Brian Cox........'Those charged particles causing the atmosphere to glow came from a sunspot complex 17 times the diameter of earth and
    travelled across 90 million miles at a million miles an hour' :emoticon-0141-whew:

Turbia Milk likes this.
  16. moreinjuredthanowen

And literally nothing got fried.

That's another yank TV show ruined then.

What show was it that had the world all going dark cos all the power was blown out due to massive flare.

17. organic red

Don't know mate

18. moreinjuredthanowen

Dark angel?

The one with Jessica alba.

I think the power going out was just a premise.

The yanks went through a post apocalyptic thing for a while. Same as zombies and vampires were a thing I suppose.

19. saintPort&Ginger

Some were claiming it was going to go dark for days at the last eclipse. It's like they're living in the stone age.

20. moreinjuredthanowen

I wonder how a flat earther explains the heliosphere of the planet and the aurora