1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The sister botherers...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, May 16, 2024.

1. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Getting to the Championship in 4 will also be an achievement. I’m confident you can do it, and will.

2. 2020VisionofLeeds

Yes, but……

the opposition in the Prem are not different for each of us.

there is so much money available to all the teams that have been there a few years. And that’s without the Man City, Newcastle foreign owner scenarios.

newly promoted clubs are reduced to trying to not be one of the 3 worst sides in the bottom 6.

But good luck, you obviously do have a well run club. I say ‘obviously’ because this season the top 4 were much better than the rest, and you were the only one of the top 4 not to have come down with parachute payments.(and you beat 2 of those who had then)

but I think you’ll find right now is the high point, it’s no fun getting beat every week and defining ‘success’ as finishing 17th.

ristac and Johnnywarkstache like this.
  3. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

To be fair Royston there has been one or two of us popping onto other teams boards and some of it has not been particularly nice.( from either side)

I try to keep mine light hearted over on other boards as I do on ours.

And they have posters on their site that don't go onto other teams like yourself.

ristac likes this.
  4. Johnnywarkstache

Johnnywarkstache Well-Known Member

We have hugely ambitious owners with deep pockets and a strong and experienced management team running the club and they won’t be wanting to just make up the numbers in the premier league. Yes of course this first season is going to be really tough but they will be going into this season by attacking it the same way we did in the Championship. We will be largely an unknown quantity to these teams which gives us an edge. Not many teams will be wanting to visit a packed out Portman Road with the deafening noise of our support. I’m predicting a mid table finish for us and I don’t think that’s being unreasonable

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  5. 2020VisionofLeeds

As I said, good luck. It’s nice to have dreams.

in addition to your reasons, you also have momentum. With your last two seasons success you ought to have tremendous morale. It may be that will help you survive next season, but,….. season 2 will be a different matter.

Redruth, ristac and Johnnywarkstache like this.
  6. 2020VisionofLeeds

And ‘deep pockets’ are useful, until you find the opposition ship their cash in from the Middle East in container ships

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

This is finally a sensible and balanced perspective from a Leeds United fan. Why do Leeds United fans think they know our chances better than we do?

Do they have better knowledge of the Premier League? No.

Do they have better knowledge of Ipswich Town? No.

If it’s a Southampton or Leicester or Crystal Palace fan, sure. I’ll listen. You’ve done some mileage in the Premier League.

But these are fans of Leeds United, who have had no more success than Ipswich Town since the last time we were in the top flight, have a ground next to a motorway in a big city and are anticipating their poor experiences will be projected onto us.

You do not have our owners, you do not have our players, you do not have our manager, you do not have our club, you do not have upward momentum.

Whether we get battered next season or not is entirely irrelevant and we don’t fear relegation and we don’t expect it either. After a decade of terrible ownership and a sensational rise under the new ownership, next season is going to be a carnival at Ipswich Town and over the next decade we are going to keep growing.

Spanish and Johnnywarkstache like this.
  8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The most important thing is to understand how we define success.

In the long term, there’s no getting away from it, at Ipswich Town anything less than competing in Europe is not where we want to be. But there is also some context. We have come back from a trajectory of dropping down the divisions and out of the Football League or folding altogether and we have to build. Getting to the Premier League at this stage of this chapter in our history is success with bells on and whatever happens next season every player and coach who has contributed to minutes on the pitch over the last two seasons will be going down in folklore as a hero.

Johnnywarkstache likes this.
  9. Johnnywarkstache

Johnnywarkstache Well-Known Member

Great post Yorkie.

They say that they are the best team in this league when they are on it but the final league table tells us that they haven't been on it enough! We have more points, lost fewer games and scored more goals than them over the season which makes us the better team. Let them have their delusions about just how good they are because in reality it doesn't bare serious scrutiny.

10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They’re little use either when it come to FFP.

The average PL wage is £70k a week, if the Ipswich fans truly believe their players are different and all going to play for love rather than money huge shocks are on the way, agents virtually run where players go now.

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You’re always welcome, most of us treat others how we find them. We’re all different, we’ll even argue amongst ourselves when we have different opinions.

Looking at my closest mates at home, WBA, Man U, Liverpool, Fulham, Ipswich, Arsenal and Leeds. I’d enjoy a drink with all of them, we’d each have one another’s backs.

I just don’t get the “hate all” brush so many have with opposing fans. I originally only popped over because Spanish had stopped by to spill his hatred.

A couple of visits and I realised some of you are pretty decent and good for a laugh. I’m not hoping Ipswich are relegated, I hope you stuff some of the big teams, I’d much prefer to see the likes of Everton relegated.

It’s just we had 20 years out and so many of your posts could be our own three seasons back. You’ll see what we mean about the PL soon enough.

We’re hoping we go up next week, then we’re hoping we can survive and see where the journey takes us.

It doesn’t matter how your club is run compared to ours, the top team scouts have the cream, the agents are the worst ear worms imagineable to a player.

VAR will screw you more than reward, the opposition is vastly superior to the Championship. Take Omari and Moore they will probably go out on loan again. You need to be signing better players than him, if you have worse players they need replacing

The divide between Championship and PL is off the scale

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    Redruth and Johnnywarkstache like this.
  12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Not listening still: We will see what you mean about the Premier League soon enough? Do you think we have been living under a rock?

13. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Hate to say this, but with our current squad (even with the loanees) i dont think we'll stay up. We probably need at least 5 new, quality signings to be competitive in the premiership, but then will that spoil the camaraderie we have built?
    Togetherness will only take you so far, you still need quality in the squad.
    In saying that, if we can add a few quality signings, then a mid-table finish may be possible (but unlikely imho).
    If we are letting in over 50 goals in the championship, then God knows how many even the average mid table clubs would score.... I'm not as optimistic as most on here....BUT, whatever happens, I'll be enjoying us every week, win lose or draw, as I know we'll be trying our hardest every game

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We still have some weaknesses to improve and we will definitely add some players, but even for the ones that are carrying on in the first team this doesn’t take into account two full months of coaching before the season starts or how we adapted from League One to the Championship. It’s a lot easier for them to coach to improve the group through the summer than through the season when there are back to back games, travel, recovery time and game plans to work on, injuries to nurse and fatigue to manage.

15. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The thing promotion earns you is parachute money, as long as you spend the money wisely and get the contracts right, relegation and bouncing back up can be a good thing.

When teams like Burnley get promoted, with the help of 2-3 top quality loan signings, not only do they need replacing but several others in the team are also not up to standard.

16. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

They don't listen Yorkie coz they are moronic!!
    I originally went on Leeds board to see what they were saying about us, which was pretty much dismissive, so I tried to explain how they they were wrong, then got a bit of abuse so in true Spanish style, I replied the only way I know how, when talking to ijyats!!
    OH AND MAY I POINT OUT....I WAS RIGHT AND LEEDS IJYATS WERE WRONG, COZ WE GOT PROMOTED, WHILE THEY SAID IPSWICH AND OUR SMALL SQUAD WILL FADE AWAY!!

17. 2020VisionofLeeds

Far worse. We think you’ve been living in Suffolk

18. Spanish

:emoticon-0113-sleep:emoticon-0113-sleep are they still on here talking ****??Run along boys!!

19. Spanish

We are just sooooo joyous at the way things are going, if we come back down, so be it, we will still be joyous at the football we are watching. You Leeds fans can't handle our happiness and try to dampen it, it's not working, so feck off, you're boring us!!

20. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

You're right we're at least a year ahead of where we expected to be.Worse case scenario we get relegated take the parachute payment and build for a better challenge next year.Absolute free hit!

Plus we're loving the journey,I've not felt so connected to the Club or enjoyed watching my team as much as this for over 20 years.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    Spanish likes this.