1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The var thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Aug 6, 2019.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Latter for me too.

But with the major things correct

2. fatletiss

I mean an improvement.

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Just because it doesn't apply to you it doesn't mean that it doesn't 'hold much water'. There's thousands who do feel like that so it's a bit silly to dismiss the idea as bollocks just because you don't feel the same.

Would be a bit like someone saying that because they won't personally be affected by Brexit then the idea that it might negatively impact some people doesn't hold much water.

Do you think people are lying to you?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  4. fatletiss

It might not hold water with you, but for me Libby has a point. It’s hardly a comparison to consider celebrating a goal only to realise that 10-20 seconds later you realise the flag has gone up, to that of waiting for 2-5 minutes with both teams lined back up for a restart

Libby likes this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Tough, you're getting the former :biggrin:

fatletiss likes this.
  6. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Is it really taking 2-5 minutes to come to a decision?, most of the matches still appear to finishing roughly about the same time that they were before as far as I can tell.

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Best example this season is probably Neves against United, absolute screamer from a corner routine and the place erupted only to have to stop for about two minutes while they checked to see if his armpit was offside.

The goal was obviously given but there's no doubt the Wolves fans behind the goal felt robbed of the moment.

I know I'm extremely biased, though there is some aspects of it I'll happily debate, but nobody is ever going to convince me that that '2nd celebration' is same as that rush of adrenaline when the ball goes in the net.

Like you say in previous years it would be a matter of seconds and even then it's only a small percentage of goals.

The problem for me now is that a goal isn't a goal until it's had the var rubber stamp, I think that's the bit that I struggle with personally and can't get past.

8. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I understand that 2-5 minutes is longer than 10-20 seconds. And I'm not saying that VAR is quick.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't hamper my celebrations. I still celebrate. If anything, those celebrations get cut shorter a lot quicker by the linesman's flag going up, than by realising the decision is being closely deliberated by VAR.

9. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

That has happened to us, twice in 5 matches.

edit: wow there's been a lot of comments since then. Was the last on the page and didnt notice there was more or i would have left it :emoticon-0110-tongu

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

So it's not a fairer game you really want then just things to be better for us?

I doubt City or Watford fans feel like that so far. This is the point, it's still a lottery.

11. fatletiss

You referred to it as “holding no water” - suggesting no validity and then you gave comparison to a goal being disallowed normally. That’s the bit I disagree with and say Libby has a point that shouldn’t just be dismissed.

Libby likes this.
  12. VocalMinority

No its the opposite, i am 0nly picking games we have all seen to be unbiased. its the best sample for statistical comparison unless you have seen all 50 games. the fact they have been in our favour is coincidental.

13. Saints_Alive

I still get the rush of arenaline when we score and that was always cut short if the ref had a doubt and conferred with the lino. waiting a bit longer for a correct decision does not bother me but I understand if other fans feel differently.

14. fatletiss

It has done yes.

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

You pointing out that it's worked for us, doesn't mean that it hasn't failed elsewhere.

16. fatletiss

How many times pre-var was there a moment or two to check? Not many. Now it is potentially every goal.

17. Saints_Alive

I cannot believe that it will always be that way and i'm willing to give it a chance, but if they do not get the delays down then it will be an issue in the future.

18. VocalMinority

Actually its a far better indicator than the one you are using in picking the worse decisions of 50 games without having watched the whole of them all. once weve all watched all 38 for us this season, that will be the best sample to make that decision. its not about having worked for US as you keep misunderstanding, but in our games, or more precisely, the games where we have seen all the decisions be made.

19. Saints_Alive

But i'm honestly not feeling the flow of a match being interupted too much. Yesterday's was a really good watch.

20. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My apologies.

I was referring to Libby's line of "pure burst of joy and ecstasy as soon as the ball hits the back of the net". I still absolutely get that - VAR doesn't take that away from me. Yes it absolutely adds something different come 30 or 60 or 90 seconds later, but that immediate reaction as the ball hits the net is still absolutely the same. I can't get my own head around why that wouldn't be the case for others, but clearly it is the case and therefore not being able to understand is my own issue.