1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Things We Think We Think #269

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Oct 23, 2017.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

1. An away win! A win, away! At an away ground! After well over 400 days of waiting, of fruitless journeys and dismal displays outside of Hull, City have finally won an away game!

2. It’s as much a relief as a source of jubilation. After drawing so many blanks in the Premier League, seeing that wretched run continue in the Championship was becoming a major source of concern and exasperation. Thank goodness it’s now at an end, if only because we were probably all sick of talking and thinking about it.

3. However…amid the glee about winning on the road, would it be excessively churlish to note that it wasn’t exactly a sparkling performance and that the points were not comprehensively merited? If so, then we’ll have to be churls, because the display left an awful lot to be desired – at one point, the away end sang “we only want one shot”. And while there are mitigating circumstances – foul weather, the nerves engendered by that run and so on – we doubt that Leonid Slutsky will have failed to notice that there’s room for improvement.

4. Still, the clean sheet was nice. City have kept too few of these this season, and while a better side than a fairly mediocre Barnsley may have found a way to puncture the Tigers’ iffy defence, nilling someone was nice. And it isn’t just with the benefit of hindsight that we observe that Barnsley didn’t really look like levelling – City closed the game out well and deserve credit for doing so, particularly after losing a lead so late just a week earlier.

5. So, there are some positives to take beyond just the points. City coped better without David Meyler than many may have expected and despite the lack of fluency on show there was no shortage of commitment either. A 6.5/10 sort of effort.

6. It leaves City 14th, as many points clear of the bottom three as behind the top six. Which feels broadly accurate as a snapshot of the season to date, and also a likely final outcome for 2017/18. We don’t feel good enough for a promotion push, but probably have too much to have any serious concerns about dropping another division. Given the calamitous incompetence we saw in the boardroom this summer, what else could we expect?

7. Apropos boardroom dolts, wasn’t Ehab’s interview with the Hull Daily Mail every bit an exercise in snivelling, blame-dodging fact-free drivel as we’d expect from one as unimpressive as him? There were some unintentionally revealing bits though. Ehab’s detestation of City fans was obvious, and him considering not selling City just to spite us is a fascinating insight into his sub-standard character. It’s fairly obvious that the club isn’t for sale in any meaningful sense anyway, and this grim stand-off between the reviled Allam family and the people of Hull isn’t going to end soon.

8. We hear, from multiple sources, that City tried to instruct the stewards at Barnsley to remove anti-Allam flags in the away end at Oakwell. We aren’t surprised that free speech isn’t awfully popular among the hierarchy at City, but even for them this would be pathetically thin-skinned.

9. Forest next on the telly. It’s a chance to show the world how much we hate our owners, but also a chance for City to inch closer to a top-half place. Will Slutsky keep faith with those who laboured to victory on Saturday – or has Campbell earned a start and will Meyler return? Interesting questions for the manager.

10. The impending visits of sides in 12th and 13th should give us an idea of whether we can improve upon the mid-table finish we expect. Forest look nothing special, but Middlesbrough’s comparably lowly standing is a surprise. They’ve plenty of time to put things right, but it’s possible we could catch them at a good time. And who knows, six points from these two home games….

http://www.ambernectar.org/blog/2017/10/things-we-think-we-think-269/

2. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Soz to be a pedant like, but that glorious win against Benfica in Portugal was for the Glorious Few our last away win.

You're welcome.

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  3. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

8. I know nothing about those 'sources' but my first thought at the time was that there's a good chance the instruction to the stewards somehow came from City. It just makes no sense to suddenly, midway into the game, decide that those banners couldn't be displayed. Whereas it's entirely an Allam thing to do. They weren't even controversial. Anyway, I almost posted this musing but considered the hysterical backlash it'd get on here and thought better of it.

4. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Think it's all part of sanitised football these days.

Positive news only.

5. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

The club have carefully edited all photos of Saturday's game, to make sure no images include those banners, so very few actually show our fans.

6. charon-the-ferryman

charon-the-ferryman Well-Known Member

They where always going to be edited after they published all the Allam Out banners at Palace on the official website

7. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

I wonder if they would try and stop you going into the KCOM if you had a banner that simply said 'Allams' or 'Out'

Stockholm Tiger likes this.
  8. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

If the Allams don't go to away games how can they have instructed the banners to be taken down, how would they have known they were there in the first place ?
    I heard on the day that it was from instructions from the police control tower and then subsequently another instruction from the police commander at pitch side to allow them. Perhaps he thought that removing them was more trouble then it was worth ?

9. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Ehab does go to away games (at least some of them), we abused the **** at QPR and he was there on Saturday.

The banners were positioned where the stewards asked for them to be positioned (they were originally high up on the right, but the stewards came and asked the lads to move them to the front), but half an hour into the game the stewards came and tried (unsuccessfully) to remove them.

Why the hell would Barnsley's stewards be remotely interested in a 'No Concessions' or 'Allam Out' banner?

No doubt daft lad was embarrassed in the directors box.

PLT likes this.
  10. TigerinSydney

TigerinSydney Well-Known Member

Or 'IS' or 'A' or 'C' or 'U' or 'N' or 'T' even

11. Trau Morgus

Trau Morgus Well-Known Member

Whoever at Barnsley Ehab talked to about removing the banners should have told him to **** off and sort his own house out.

He made his bed, he should lie in it. Nowt to do with anyone else. Utter csm.

dennisboothstash and PLT like this.
  12. Quill

Quill Bastard

They should've gone all out and edited them to make them look like pro-Allam banners.

13. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Have 4 banners saying Allams Our Ultimate Team. Then just fold the last 3 of them once inside leaving just the first letter showing.

14. What? A full dog?

What? A full dog? Well-Known Member

I think we should go with outright sarcasm. What about:
    "Ehab: Probably the most successful football chairman in the world"
    Or "Ehab. What a full stadium this is, could you squeeze anymore in?"
    Or "Ehab: He wouldn't sell the players, they're here to stay"

He would probably ban them anyway, too many words.

15. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

I know, I was there, I saw it for myself. On the day it was said that it was a police directive overridden by another police directive a few minutes later. The stewards even apologised.

16. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I can imagine with Chien Lee there also, it was very uncomfortable for him. I guess if he had known that before hand he would have given it a miss.

17. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Why would any prospective buyer be bothered about protests against the current owners? Surely, if anything, it would help the wannabe owner. Unless of course Chien Lee has dastardly plans of his own.

18. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

I think he's talking about Ehab, rather than Lee.

19. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

He is talking about Ehab. I just wonder why Ehab thinks any protests might endanger any prospects of selling the club. Oh wait, he's a thick ****.

Evington likes this.
  20. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I was.