1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tiger Rag Played at Boothferry Park.

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

A version of Tiger Rag was in the post WW2 years played just before the
    Hull City team entered the field.Does anyone know for certain whose
    recording it was? Thank you for any help on this.

2. TigerRoo

TigerRoo Well-Known Member

I was there during those days (Gawd I'm old) and I always understood that it was the following version by the immortal Les Paul (inventor of the electric guitar to be known throughout the world as a "Gibson") and his (then) wife Mary Ford. Some refer to the Mills Brothers version but it was much milder than Les Paul's although it could have been played occasionally. I would be pretty positive that this was the version.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  3. nwtiger

nwtiger Member

Roo,you are correct about the Les Paul version being played at B.P,I was also there ,all though very young!!!
    C.I board also having same discussion and one of the other boards,all to do with increasing the atmosphere at the K.C.
    STICK A FEW GOALS IN AT HOME WOULD BE MY SOLUTION.

4. hu7tiger

hu7tiger Active Member

Will take more than banging in a few goals to get people up .Some fans openly have said on here and other message boards they are not going to sing.Bring back unreserved seating and let like minded fans get together and sing there hearts out come on adam you can make it happen start with one block in each stand .

5. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Les Paul designed a guitar for Gibson, but he certainly didn't invent the electric guitar. He designed a particular model of a solid bodied guitar for the Gibson guitar company, but Rickenbacker made the first solid bodied guitar and Fender were also making them before Gibson, in fact, Les Paul's first guitar design was made by Epiphone.

6. TigerRoo

TigerRoo Well-Known Member

I can see where the "standing/singing" fans are coming from and whereas I respect their opinion there are other factors governing this, particularly 'safety'. The game changes through generations. When I first watched it was a body-contact game with the 'shoulder charge' being prevalent but the 'powers that be' decided that it was a 'game of skill' rather than 'brute force' and banned it. After the Hillsborough disaster I doubt there will ever be a throw-back to 'terracing'. Where would you stand at away games for instance or is every club going to provide seating AND 'standing' areas for away fans as well. If any of you watch Liverpool's home games they don't seem to have any problem whatsoever singing "You'll never walk alone" either before or during the game and I don't believe there is any standing area's there.
    To pay the obscene season ticket price only to find that you have bought a seat directly behind some inconsiderate yobbo who wants to stand throughout the game waving his arms about and throwing obscenities at everybody is hardly acceptable especially if you have the temerity to complain only to be told to go and get well and trulied and to stay away because you are not singing.

7. amberosia

amberosia Member

The reason you can sing like that at Liverpool is there are no moronic stewards telling the home fans to sit down whilst letting the away fans do exactly as they please. Look at BOTH end behind the goal and people are stood up throughout the whole game, as they are at a lot of grounds. I can only assume that Liverpool have no spectators with standing difficulties, little babies and others. Or maybe their fans are more used to what football is all about and didn't arrive with the construction of a new stadium never having experienced anything different.
    And our season ticket prices are not obscene. They aren't bad compared to others. And compared to prices for seeing second-rate pop groups and comedians are excellent.
    In a lot of circumstances you can watch City for less than FC per game.

8. amberosia

amberosia Member

It can't have been the Les Paul version if it was played during the Carter years in the 40's as it wasn't recorded until 1952.

9. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

TigerRoo, my hubby says he went to see Hull City from 1946 and believes Tiger Rag was played at

games from then. The Paul/ Ford version was not recorded until 1952. Any comments? He knows

you went in 1946 too.

10. shaunindeutschland