1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time for Zola to go - debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by yellotoyou, Dec 15, 2013.

1. yellotoyou

yellotoyou Active Member

I don't do many new articles but having slept on it last night and still waking up annoyed at what I saw yesterday and for most of the season I felt it was time to start this debate. For me Zola has to go sooner rather than later. The football he wants us to play in the Championship is not working and he either is refusing to change it or (as I suspect) doesn't know how to. I have seen many people saying we need to wait longer to see if things come right but we have now gone 9 games without a win and I can't see us winning any time soon. We've played teams from the bottom of the league and they have beaten us at home by simply scoring and then defending, knowing full well our passing ad nausium won't break down the defence. Its easy for them as we pass without getting forward and that is down to Zola. We show no guts or the inclination to beat players - we just pass from side to side. But still Zola persists with the sort of football that isn't working. In my view he and others have listened too much to the pundits who don't like the more direct approach - but that is what wins games in the championship - not passing the ball 50 times until you lose it. I have seen people decry suggestions that what we need is a Colin or Deadhead but they have won this league more than once whereas Zola has achieved relegation at West Ham. Now I'm not saying i particularly like the suggested options mainly because they have criticised Watford - but then again they were doing their job for their clubs at the time. If I saw similar fire and spirit in Zola on occasions then perhaps we wouldn't be where we are now staring downwards. I know others say we won't get relegated but I guess that's what Wolves fans were saying this time last year and they did. The club needs to act now and find a replacement before the transfer window in January - so we can try to attract a striker which we badly need - I can't see anyone wanting to come to us now but if we have a new broom - especially one with a success record in this league - then they maybe tempted. Anyway that's my view and I'm sure others view things differently - so lets debate it.

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I believe from the Wobby article we will sign a striker in January. I think Zola will stay until the situation after January pans out... Last season apart from Chalobah ( who was wayward at times) and a fit Abdi, I think Vydra made the difference for us. We still leaked goals but we scored more. So I for one am prepared to give it some time. The football we played for a lot of last season was some of the best I have seen ever at Watford.

We scored some good goals at Leeds last week, and considering, for one of the Leeds goals Anya was dispossessed on the half way line, some say illegally, and Ekstrand had a goal bound shot diverted in the last minute... we could have won it.

Admittedly it has gone very wrong in recent weeks.......

I would not support a move for a quick fix.

However I haven't had to endure those terrible losses as a supporter at the Vic in recent weeks. I have been three times to away games this season and we have won one and drawn two, so that colours my perspective.

3. yellotoyou

yellotoyou Active Member

I wonder if the Wobby article is based on a fact or on speculation - if speculation then we need to attract someone and I don't think Zola can do it. I agree we did play soem excellent football last season - but that we last season and today we are dire. Zola is showing he can't change so in my view we need to change him.

4. yorkshirehornet

I wonder if we need a strong captain on the pitch too.

Reading the interview in the Wobby with Duxbury, I get the impression there is a team work ethos to getting players: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/watfordfc/watfordfcnews/10874731._/ .... "we [Zola, Nani, Gino Pozzo and Duxbury] decide which players are needed to benefit the team. ". So it looks like they are in it together with the players and Zola may have more support than other managers in other clubs at this stage. To lose him at this time = their policy is not working = they have to rethink the strategy.

I must admit to liking the guy and the football that we have played when it has worked....

BUT we cannot carry on like this can we...

5. yellotoyou

yellotoyou Active Member

Yes I too like the guy and in an ideal world the good guy should win out - but unfortunately we aren't in that world and the nasty guys - i.e. Hollowhead and Colin - seem to be the ones who know how to win this league. As you say things aren't working ...

6. Steveterrysbandaid

I think Zola may quit sooner rather than later , I also think certain players have let him and themselves down,
    However to suggest holloway as a future watford manager are shocking ,
    Talk of Vydra seems to be gathering pace , but please no more talk of holloway , go have a lay down and de stress yourself ,

7. yellotoyou

yellotoyou Active Member

I'm not suggesting hollowhead for our manager - others have though and they have a point - he's won this league more than once and as i say he maybe a nastier person than Zola but he is the sort of person who can do it. I too don't like him and so wouldn't like to see him manage Watford - but the reason i don't like him is because he has wound me and Watford fan generally up. Some would argue that's his job to gain every advantage he can to benefit his team. Get the opposition fans wound up is good psychology if you can then turn them against their own team - which is what he does. if that helps win the league maybe we need someone who is less nice and more Mr Nasty - the likes of Mackey, Dyche, Judas, Graham Taylor, Aidy Boothroyd all had a nastier streak they could call on if they wanted to - I don't see it in Zola.

8. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Stop this Hollowhead rubbish talk, he is a pathectic winging person who took over a successful side in December last year and got lucky in that the teams around him bottled it as did palarce. In the playoff's his oponents did not turn up on their day. Good luck to him for that but look at Palarce this season since he has left and his coaching abilities are shown in there true light. Any so called Watford fans who think he is the answer to our problems think again we would have Bob Hope# no hope of turning our season around under him and probably history would repeat itself as in trebor bassets performance. For good measure i know several palarce fans not one welcomed him, they thanked him for promotion but thought they rode their luck and not one was suprised by his early exit.

9. yellotoyou

yellotoyou Active Member

Maybe he took a Palace side who were already doing well - but what about Blackpool - he took them up as well. I'm not saying I want him to manage Watford - but I do want someone who has the balls to get nasty when they need to and Zola can't do it.

10. yorkshirehornet

I guess Zola needs a hard number 2... I don't go for the nasty epithet though... GT was a good natured but firm manager....

11. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

sometimes a piss is just not enough

12. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

But at any opportunity, you'll take it!

;)

13. yellotoyou

yellotoyou Active Member

Exactly a firm manager when he needed to be - Zola is about as firm and a sponge floating in a pond in a thunder storm

14. Bloother

Bloother Well-Known Member

Zola wasn't manager when West Ham were relegated, Avam Grant was. Got to admit I'm torn, but no to Hollowhead and Warnock. We need new personnel straight away on 1st Jan and dispense with the failures. We don't need a striker, we need a couple because Fabrinni and Acuna are not up to it.

15. yorkshirehornet

agreed.......

16. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Do your research yellowtoyou on hollowhead, lucky he maybe but a good coach he is not. A firm manager might help, but we do not have to scape the barrell in Hollowhead its like walking in dog muck and trying to say it smells sweet at the end of the day both are crap

17. yellotoyou

yellotoyou Active Member

Yes i agree we need a couple of strikers - but who will come to a team in free fall? - unless there is something to make them think changes are on the way ... i.e. a new manager.

I had thought Zola relegated West Ham but if it was Avam Grant then I was wrong - must admit I'm no expert of West ham (or want to be).

18. yellotoyou

yellotoyou Active Member

Erm what research? - I've already said i don't like him or want him ...

19. Steveterrysbandaid

Zola is watford manager you support watford you support Zola period , to actually mention and compare him to Hollowhead is ridiculous , buzz off to another board please

20. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Either one of two things should happen.

1. Zola should go.
    2. Possos see that squad needs overhaul in January as a lot aren't working. Aren't they all on permanent contracts though???