1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic T'internet

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, May 6, 2024.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Now our season is done, a quick off topic question - could be a long answer though. :emoticon-0105-wink:

You regular posters on here and those who drop in now and again for a nose, are you all on FFTP now? Anybody still still on FFTC or even on all metal? <yikes>

If so what download speeds are you getting now and any problems with poor performance by your chosen provider?

Were you promised something you haven't got?

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  2. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Fibre to the cabinet, but full fibre being rolled out as a mandatory thing so digital voice can be rolled out.
    To be honest, I never look at download speeds. However, not had an issue with multiple users in the house, often streaming video. We're not data intense.

BluefromBridgend and Oldsparkey like this.
  3. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Still using fast pigeons here.

4. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Had my FFTP for a couple of months now. Went for the full monty 900 mbps as an FOC upgrade on my existing contract.

Forget the speeds promoted unless you hardwire your devices with ethernet cables. I've only got my Sky Q box hardwired to the router because it sits right alongside it.

The rest are on household wifi and that makes a big difference to the speed at your device. Still getting over 500 mbps download on my main laptop though - huge improvement in reliability and no "drop outs" since the switch.

5. ccfcremotesupport

There was a big difference in reliability from the front of our house to the back (main router in the front). I think its metal in the stud partition walls. Anyway, put a repeater in the kitchen and things are fine upstairs and down.

clingo and BluefromBridgend like this.
  6. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Im actually switching on Friday. Gone for the 300mbs

Thats actually far too much as im currently on around 37mbs download with 2 of us sometimes working from home , streaming films etc and thats more than adequate.

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I was getting around 43 on FFTC which was perfectly adequate for me. The huge difference is the reliability and lack of drop outs.

BluefromBridgend and Hilts24 like this.
  8. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

Sorry, you lost me. I thought it was a question about FFP :)

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Hilts - I only went for the 900 option because it was an FOC upgrade offer from my provider - free installation and no cost to me as long as I stayed in contract.

As long as it's FFTP, it makes little practical difference in real terms which speed package you go for. You'll only attain that headline speed if hardwired to your router with an ethernet cable anyway. Most current routers still operatie on wifi5 and are limited in what they can handle. I'd suggest 99% of users on here are on wifi and wouldn't notice.

Apart from the connection stability, I will say that accessing internet pages has become lightning fast - the only thing slowing it down is Erol Bulut.....<laugh><laugh>

Hilts24 and BluefromBridgend like this.
  10. ccfcremotesupport

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

And another thing............

Most routers like my latest BT Smarthub 2 are still operating on wifi5 which can only handle around 500 mbps instead of the more recent wifi6 (it's been around for over 4 years now <doh>) which can deliver over 1 Gig. Not that you really need it, but that's not the point.

My current laptop runs on wifi6 which is backward compatible with the router's wifi5 but both sender and recipient need to be operating the same to get the improved speed of transfer.

I don't understand internet providers like BT promoting gigabit services when they only supply wifi5 routers to their customers which can't handle it. From memory I think Virgin Media are the only providers at the moment who have started to offer a wifi6 router with their package.

You can always buy an independent wifi6 capable router (Amazon offers loads of them) but why fork out a few hundred quid (or a lot more!) when the providers should be supplying them with their package?

Very few customers hardwire to the routers with ethernet cables to get the promoted speeds. In fact a lot of laptops now like this latest one of mine doesn't even have an ethernet port to plug into.<doh>

Just measured my speeds - 940 at the wall socket - 520 on laptop 30 feet away. That's plenty, but that's not the point.......<laugh><laugh>

OK, gripe over.....<laugh>

12. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

My head hurts. Can't we still write letters and talk, on the phone or, heaven forbid, face to face.

Listened to Radio 2 yesterday while driving home from Poole, Nihal can't pronounce or spell his second name, but a good talk show host. He had a woman on there saying there are many young people who don't go out or actually answer their phones to talk to others.

They only communicate via text, WhatsApp or closed groups on other platforms. WTF!!!

This is the end of the world as we know it. How do they meet up to procreate or is there a way to send jizz via the cloud for a quick turkey baster job resulting in an even more sheltered, non-communicative generation?

Where's the fun in that?

clingo likes this.
  13. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Well said sir.
    There's no question that there are huge benefits offered by the internet but there's also no question that it's also ruining social skills. There's also the problems it causes with regard to health and subsequently puts more pressure on our NHS, to say nothing of teenage suicide numbers going through the roof.
    I understand they're trying to bring in legislation to try and address the situation. I haven't studied the proposed bill yet but no doubt it'll end up as a political football anyway.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Thast's nothing to do with internet download speeds - that's a social problem.

clingo likes this.
  15. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Not arguing Sparks it just fitted as a catalyst to raise what I heard yesterday. I'm still amazed that people, particularly youngsters, only want to communicate via IT only.

The converse is that us miserable old gits wouldn't have the varied social intercourse we have on here without IT. That should pique Masky's interest.

clingo likes this.
  16. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

17. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

My 1983 Commodore 64 has stopped working.

18. ccfcremotesupport

The download speeds of your fibre connection probably drowned it.
    (Did we have t'internet in '83?).

Edit:- first computers 'networked' 1969, birth of t'internet was 1st Jan '83. First commercially available service was pipex in '92.

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    clingo likes this.
  19. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

We had fruit and fibre back then.

20. ccfcremotesupport

<laugh><laugh><laugh>
    Probably kept you more regular than the first dial up services were.<doh>

clingo likes this.