1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic T'internet

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, May 6, 2024.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well I can remember having my first dial up modem back in the early 90's. It was all local network computing up till then, and although fascinating, dial up was so slow!!

My broker who handled my insurance rang me one day and said he had just had the latest gizmo installed - it was called "broadband" and it was amazing.

I'd guess although T'internet was around back then, it's only this century that it appears to have taken over everyone's lives. <doh>

BluefromBridgend and clingo like this.
  2. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Hey Hilts, understand you should now be on FFTP today - can we have a speed report please?.........<laugh><laugh>

3. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

He's too busy obsessing over Leeds <whistle>

Hilts24 and Oldsparkey like this.
  4. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

It won't take as long to read everything as it'll be coming out of the cloud faster now.

clingo likes this.
  5. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Like the Irish mother (No offence Irish) writing a letter to her son: -

Dear son

I'm writing this letter to you slowly. As I know you don't read too quick.

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Update - whether you want it or not........<laugh>

Since I started this thread, internet speed at laptop, tablets and phones been fluctuating this past few days - didn't seem quite right. I'd been getting over 500 at my laptop (very good) but something had gone seriously wrong in the chain - still working but not right.

Made a call to BT to find out what was going on. Decent Geordie (or could be a Mackem :emoticon-0138-think:emoticon-0138-think) got involved and sent me a link so we could both check the incoming service speed from the cabinet and actual speeds at the devices. Incoming speed at the wall modem was good at 949 meg, but the devices were all over the place from as low as 18 up about 55.

Now when I upgraded to FFTP I already had a Smarthub 2 and the guy at BT said no need for a new one. The one I had was for FFTC but can be converted to FFTP by configuring port 4 to a WAN input. When the Openreach guy arrived to install the fibre service, we made the switch.

However, and this is the big however, the router conversion is a compromise - they look the same but they're not. The guy I spoke to today said when I upgraded, I should have been sent a brand new Smarthub 2 specifically configured for FFTP as this issue is not unknown.

He's arranged that and should get the new hub Monday/Tuesday. There will be a further update to follow..........<laugh>

7. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Much preferred it when you talked about Karchers

BluefromBridgend and Oldsparkey like this.
  8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

No point now - Pandy is deceased.

clingo likes this.
  9. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Coming this afternoon. Got the day off so sitting in the sun waiting for Openreach to turn up.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

<ok>

11. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

I preferred Semaphore or Morse Code.

Oldsparkey and clingo like this.
  12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Technophobe!.............<laugh>

Anyway, where is Hilts with his speed report, or has he reverted to smoke signals for Bluey's sake?

13. Hilts24

Ive been told its going to take 10 days to settle but checked and its about 297.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  14. Hilts24

Its down to just under 100 on my phone now<laugh><laugh>. Im not looking for another week.

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

It'll go up and down like a yoyo for a while until it finds a stable level - but usually much less than 10 days.

Hilts24 likes this.
  16. ccfcremotesupport

The thing is, the important things I use t'internet for don't require much speed.
    Reading not606 at 20 Meg, click, and its there.
    Reading at 100 Meg, click, and its there.

Oldsparkey and clingo like this.
  17. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

I just had a giant apple. Ate it really quickly. Roughly 0.001 mega bites per second.

18. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Glad to hear you regard Not606 as an important thing you use the internet to access. <ok>

Unless you're an avid interactive "gamer" which I'm definitley not, there's little benefit to be gained from the ultra high speeds being promoted by the competing network providers - you just don't need them for most tasks, but....................

FFTP provides super stability of connection, lightning fast page access to things like banking and investment platforms, smooth speed of streaming live and pre-recorded material. It's well worth it - especially if it's a no cost upgrade with an existing provider.

It's not about being obsessive with internet speed, it's just that I hate being promised something and then it's not delivered through either avoidable technical issues or especially human incompetence. :emoticon-0121-angry

I'm going to have some breakfast now whilst my router cools down............<laugh>

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  19. ccfcremotesupport

I'm with you on that, especially being promised something you're not given and avoidable issues.

One of my issues with pricing is the way you keep getting given more for the same price. Can't I have the same but cheaper?
    I've just changed my mobile phone (a whole new world of pain related to the fact I used to have a business number, which I thought was changed to a consumer contract 4 years ago). The contract cost about £2 a month more that the last one. Only now, as well as unlimited calls and texts, I now get twice as much data. I only ever used half of the data I previously had.
    I don't want it all. I hardly ever text as I use WhatsApp or Facebook messenger, I probably make a few hours calls a month, and most of my Internet use is at home when I connect to WiFi.
    It's the sales gimmick. They know they don't need to ramp up their infrastructure as most people don't use what they're bring sold anyway.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
  20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Yes, I get double data as well on our 3 EE phones for using BT broadband (same company now) - never use it so why can't I save some money?

Upgraded phones last year but kept on SIM only contract - only about 6 quid apiece a month all in, but that's not the point.....<laugh>

ccfcremotesupport likes this.