1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

todays match 2022 / 23 season

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, Aug 6, 2022.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Shot from Hoole saved by the GK

Harness is the 2ndyellow card of the evening

Penalty shout for Ipswich turned down

55th minute Lee Evans 2 - 0

The way Ipswich are playing it could be 6 or 7 by the end

McCormick and Clarke replaced by Coutts and Marquis

Cameron Burgess replaced by Dom Ball 62nd minute

Hoole booked for a foul on Chaplin 66th minute

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  2. old timer

Davis, Ladapo and Harness replaced by Leigh, John-Jules and ahadme 68th minute

Whelan and jasper replace Evans and Collins 78th minute

Sam frost thinks the changes are with the Lincoln game in mind but they are winning 2 - 0 v Derby

Thomas yellow carded 81st minute

Burns replaced by Edwards at the same time

Rovers down to 10 men Thomas 2nd yellow 85th minute

John Jules yellow carded 86 minute

5 minutes stoppage time

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  3. old timer

Kilgour off down to nine men straight red, we are running out of defenders with Luca Hoole the only fit available CB for the Lincoln game
    FT 2 - 0 Ipswich really glad they stopped trying once the second went in otherwise it could have been very embarrassing

GreatWesternGas likes this.
  4. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

For goodness sake - why the hell did our two centre backs get sent off when the game was already lost?

We’ve now got three suspended players including two out of three central defenders. Idiots. That’s going to be another three points down the drain against Lincoln this weekend.

Can’t believe we’ve got so many suspensions and injuries this early in the season. Not good at all.

5. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Will Egan get recalled for Saturday?

6. old timer

Looking at the sky match highlights I don't think Kilgour touched him for the sending off

7. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

In that case they need to get an appeal in pronto.

8. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

To be honest, I've just seen a brief clip of the incident, and I have to agree - I couldn't really see any contact, did look very harsh by the ref, although I don't know if anything had gone on before with Kilgour. Might well be worth appealing it?

Makemstine Roger and old timer like this.
  9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

This league is a strong league. We seen this in the summer when we had the completed list of teams competing. So we knew it was going to be tough. I wasn't expecting anything from last night so I ain't really concerned about the result. Issue ahead is we don't have enough players and what we do have are suspensions and injuries making Barton's job more difficult. There are certain teams we need to make sure we pick up 3 points. Lincoln at the Mem is one such game where we got a great chance in doing so. But we now look weak at the back. I will get worried if we don't win this weekend.

10. old timer

Luca Hoole is our only fit / available CB if they try and fail to get Kilgour's red card overturned not sure who will fill the gap, and Lincoln put a couple past Derby so they are not going to be pushovers, cant see us getting much change on Saturday and I am thinking it is going to be long season unless a couple of free transfers or we can keep above the bottom four until the next window and then pick up 2 or 3 really good players that don't come with a sicknote attached

11. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Glen Whelan played alongside Hoole at Plymouth and it was all fine. The lads aren't playing out from the back as well as last season, so maybe Whelan being in there might help.

12. old timer

Luca Hoole has been called up for under 23s duty by wales.

13. old timer

Alfie Kilgour's red card overturned on appeal

14. old timer

Dropped into the bottom four in 21st place can't that improving after todays performance especially as Accrington beat Cheltenham to move 4 places above us in he league.

After todays performance I cannot see us avoiding the drop back into league 2

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I am now a bit worried that JB may just not be a good manager at L1 level. I didn't rate him and then I thought he should have been sacked after our relegation but then impressed me last season and actually changed my mind about his ability as a manager. I am trying to be as fair as possible with him though because he has suffered a lot of injuries and suspensions so working on a limited squad. Meaning will be hard to get form and positive results. So I am giving some allowance for that. But playing Whelan (aged 39) at CB and leaving our only available CB in Kilgour on the bench and then not changing his mistake during the game and therefore conceding 6 at home, I am unfortunately beginning to think that although he has injuries and suspensions to deal with, perhaps JB will just struggle at this level as a manager. Perhaps he is another Tisdale being great at L2 but not so great at L1.

Who is to blame for not having enough players available now? JB kept saying how many players he wants but we were 4 or 5 players short. How long will this striker from Middlesbrough be to be fit? Can we really hang on until January to make the signings we need? Burton has had a terrible season so far yet they are just 4 points behind us and remember we beat them 4-0. Something isn't right and I just think that soon, the fans will start to turn. I hate the toxic environment when that happens.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  16. old timer

Chatting with people after the match and we were saying that we felt that people would soon be calling for his dismissal and why after getting Kilgours red card overturned did he not play him, I felt Whelan was directly responsible for bad passes leading to 3 of the goals.

I would also like to know why Evans was booked for his challenge Rightly I thought but the player who put his boot into the face of Luca Hoole was not evev spoken to let alone carded which I thought should have been red because it was dangerous but would accepted yellow

17. GreatWesternGas

It's definitely starting to get concerning now, without wanting to start over- reacting or panicking after only a handful of games. We all know how hard it is when you slide into the bottom 4, and how hard it is to claw your way out of it. At the moment it looks achievable, but lose a couple more games, and the gap to safety will look much further. I think the most worrying thing is the manner in which we are leaking goals against certain teams that don't seem able to score against anybody else, but we turn up to give them a game, and the floodgates open and we do our best to make their forwards look world class! I don't envy JB, and I don't know how he's going to turn things around, but I personally think it's far too early to start thinking about blaming him totally or sacking him. He summed it up some time ago when he said the main priority is to finish the season with 4 teams below us. It's our 1st season in division 1 and if we didn't know it before, we certainly know now how much bigger the gap is between division 2 and division 1!!

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  18. old timer

Like to know why he played Whelan at the back and kept Alfie kilgour on the bench

19. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

When we get Connolly, Thomas and Gibson back our defence should be a lot better. Playing Whelan at the back in place of Kilgour was a stupid decision and Clarke is only good enough for the bench at best. Plus Coutts should have started.

However, we are still scoring goals. I think we’ll be ok with this squad and I expect us to start to pick up when the injured/suspended defenders return.

Barton had Fleetwood playing in the top half of L1 a few years ago, hopefully he’ll start to remember exactly how he managed to do that.

20. GreatWesternGas

After losing at home to Accrington today, a game I felt we had to win to give ourselves a shred of respectability, I really don't know what to think now. I didn't attend the game, but from what I've read and heard, we were pretty dire overall and got what we deserved from the game. I keep reading that Joey says he's not overly concerned and once he has a fully fit squad to pick from, we'll come good! Well I really hope he's right, and while he might not be concerned yet, I am getting very bloody concerned! After all, it's not as though our injury list involves people like Elliot Anderson and Lionel Messi, unless I've missed something!!