1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Todays match!

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Southcoastoldgaffer, May 11, 2024.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I would lose a lot of respect for him if he was to run to Man Utd. He would have a lot more to lose than gain by going there.

Obviously this is all just lazy journalism, and there's not a chance he'll go.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  2. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Yes, I read that too. In spite of the many attractive aspects of returning to his old club, in chaos it seems, I am sure he will devote at least a season or two to Ipswich. And he wouldnt wish to let down so many.

Cheque books out Gamechanger Ineos!

Bigalreigned likes this.
  3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Putting aside Ipswich loyalty, I can understand the temptation of the Manchester United job. They’re a much bigger club than us. Still one of the biggest clubs in the world.

They have a new investor, new set-up, everything - they appear to be completely changing their approach. There is a low bar to clear in terms of what has gone on in the last few years. It’s a club and fanbase desperate for success. McKenna is ambitious and would clearly back himself to make a success of it. He possibly views Manchester United as unfinished business and believes he can get that club winning titles. It’s going to be appealing. Liverpool are fading, Chelsea are a shadow of their former selves, Guardiola possibly won’t be at Man City for many more years - there is a possible gap for a resurgent Man United.

Obviously I hope McKenna doesn’t leave and that loyalty - an ever-fading value in football - wins out. However, managing a “Big Six” side doesn’t come around often in this fickle sport. This time last year, Vincent Kompany was considered one of the rising young managers in the country. Fast forward to now and what Premier League club would realistically hire him?

Hopefully this is paper talk/agent shenanigans, but Ashton and the club really need to do what they can to keep McKenna here. Without him, I think we're down and out.

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Really? United are in such a mess, not even in Europe next season and are five years and half a billion in transfer fees away from winning a title. Southgate is a good fit for steadying the ship but the next manager that goes in there isn’t going to take all the glory. The stadium is an embarrassment at the moment. The club is a wreck. I think McKenna would want to go there at a point they have a better foundation. Spurs are a lot more of a threat for next season I reckon.

Johnnywarkstache likes this.
  5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

6. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree that the Man United job would probably benefit from a Paul Cook type figure to really tear it down and then the next appointment can come in and make it their own.

I guess for McKenna it comes down to if he genuinely believes we stay up next season and become established in the Premier League. If so, then jobs like Man United (and even better ones) will still be on the table.

A great opportunity for McKenna to get some more leverage at Town. A commitment to spend on players in the summer perhaps? This story has turned up in a few papers as “exclusives”.

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I really don’t think McKenna will have any fear or thoughts of relegation next season with Town.

8. Bigalreigned

Can't believe I'm going to type this but I think on reflection I'd rather our Budgie friends succeeded tonight.It'd be one in the eye for the gobby ,entitled northerners and their tw@t of a boss.

Entirely different matter come the Final though when it'll be ABN!!

9. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Tough game against the Baggies if they do get thru. I think Leeds will be too strong at home.

I am in 2 minds tbh. Nice tho it would be to renew our old rivalries, I am not sure I want the feathered friends fluttering around us in the Prem. What was our points difference this season, 20 plus!

10. Bigalreigned

Come on you Red Devils!

11. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

By the sounds of it, ten haag is a dead man walking.
    Would you take ten haag if McKenna goes?

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Not a fan. I was reminded in the build up of George Elokobi, though. What an appointment that would be!

13. Bigalreigned

What a tactical genius ten Hag is,they'd be mad to get rid of him;)

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Could be a turning point for United’s fortunes. Why would you rip it all up and start again?

15. Johnnywarkstache

Johnnywarkstache Well-Known Member

Up the Saints! I’ll be cheering them on today <cheers>

16. Johnnywarkstache

hardly a turning point

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

They looked a really good side. I would change the goalkeeper and sign a talisman striker but I don’t think they need much more than that to get back in the top four.

18. Johnnywarkstache

the fact is they are still light years behind the top 4 and one good game won’t change that, all the teams above them will be strengthening their squads too this Summer! It’s going to take a decade in my opinion for them to be a serious contender again

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It’s not taken nearly that long at Arsenal and they were well short. Even now I look at their side and scratch my head at how they are competing for the title. Arteta has turned water into wine there.

20. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

C'mon Leeds...