1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Toon A Threat? Not Really

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by BillysStatue, Oct 7, 2021.

1. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

With the Saudi government looking set to complete their (rightly) drawn out process to buy Newcastle United, there seems to be a rabid anticipation that Toon will be the next Citeh or Chelski ... I'm not so sure

Firstly, the buying of Toon by the murderous regime is a big PR drive, and the club is simply a vehicle that the Saudis are using to try and convince the world that they are good people ... it's going to take a lot more than owning the Barcodes to improve their awful reputation ... I expect they will throw a boatload of money at this project, and they will do their best to make Toon a regular Chumps Lge team, but there are no guarantees (ask Mel Morris)

Secondly, don't expect Citeh's owners to sit back and take it ... they will ramp up big time to defeat the Saudis, even if it means driving player prices up to £500m ... also, the Big Six cnuts can't afford another entrant into their Chumps Lge battles as they need that extra £60m to £80m every season to help balance their books ... PSG owners hate the Saudis, and they will get involved in trying to derail or inflate any high-profile transfers Toon try and do

Thirdly, when Toon go to buy a player, they are going to get quoted ridiculous prices ... I can see them paying £60m for a Richard Keogh and sticking him on £300k a week just because they can ... their riches will also be their millstone ... it will be very easy for them to end up with a bloated, overpaid and complacent squad

Fourthly, out of the top players, who is actually going to want to sign for them if they can get a solid deal at more successful clubs with better global brands? Saudi name isn't going to help them attract a vast new global fan base, and this will be an issue for the owners and any potential top signings ... also, Toon isn't exactly London or Paris

Lastly, how patient are they going to be with managers? Mourinho will probably end up there playing 1-0 football ... this is the key thing, getting a quality manager and giving him at least three seasons to build something ... if they want Chumps Lge from the off then the revolving door will be spinning crazy at St James'

It's not going to be the plain sailing Toon fans seem to think it will be ... there's going to be a hefty price to pay for taking blood money, and nothing's guaranteed ... what I do find weird is how toon fans claim they've suffered badly for last ten seasons, and they deserve this ... what a bunch of entitled prats, they're not even big in the North East

Infidel, Gessa and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It depends on who they appoint on the board, who they get who is responsible for the footballing decisions. They might strike lucky and find a combination of director of football and a coach who work well together.

If Bielsa decides this is his last season would Leeds really have a greater pulling power than Newcastle? We don’t attract players with European ambitions, it’s Bielsa and his approach that wins the deals.

If they did get Jose then I agree, they’d fail miserably with over paid journeymen, interesting times ahead for Newcastle and I’ve no beef with them

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  3. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

If a player is on £10m pa it doesn’t matter where the club is based, otherwise no one would want to play in the ****holes of Liverpool and Manchester either.

bucks_is_leeds, Irishshako and ristac like this.
  4. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

My only concern is that initially they need players to close the gap to the top 6. They can't get the very top players as they want Champions League game so will have to go for the best of the rest. Players like Phillips and Raphinha maybe. They'll have the money to make offers that can't be refused.

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  5. FORZA LEEDS

They can always be refused.

6. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

315 billion is a lot of money, considering Citeh's owner has 17 billion, but a 1 trillion family fortune.

7. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

On Sky Sports Staveley was talking a good talk. 5-10 years before they want to challenge for the title. They need to make it sustainable, they’ll look at everything from the youth set up to support and they realise you can’t just go out and buy the players you need to win the league on day one. Avoid relegation this season, players they already have should be higher than they are, she never said it but blatantly obvious Bruce is history.

I’ve a strong feeling they’re going to pretty much try and copy what we’ve done. We’re probably two years ahead of them, it just depends if they find a way around ffp with sponsorships

8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

All built on sand <laugh>

9. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

Im a bit pizzed off to be honest. all my Friends are Bar Codes. I know there is still alot of hard work to go into the project but they are all prancing around like they have won the Champions League today.
    One club i didn't want paper money to go to was Newcastle.

southernwhite and ristac like this.
  10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Suggest people look up Amanda Stavely on google and what shes about, then look at the other people drafted in for the board. This is the long game not a sprint.

As far as Billys original post goes, lets just say I 100% agree with him but if nobody complained about the biggest human rights abusers in the world taking over Premier league clubs and top clubs all over Europe, the Chinese then just maybe we should keep quiet and hope the authorities use the same principles for every owner. Get rid of the arabs, the the Chinese d anyone else involved in human rights abuses, including the Russians

BillysStatue and 2 pennth like this.

11. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

I hope they get in a massive rot till January. and fall well behind it would be funny as Fcuk if they went down chasing with a wheelbarrow full.
    Agree they won't attract the top stars as they want to showcase in Europe but they will rape other clubs of their top stars with wage offers alone.
    I'm well gutted today as I loved seeing my mates in the doldrums with their team.
    already one has tried to wind me up by saying the toon will be hand picking our players in January.
    Didn't really have nothing to go back on him as with their paper money now it could well happen. only thing i had to say was your still Shyte.

12. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

The way the prem operates even Attila the hun and vlad the impaler would have been deemed acceptable.
    One thing is for sure they are not skint arabs so let's not laugh too soon as we cornered the market.

Marcos Barber and Doc like this.
  13. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Seem to remember Wolves fans doing cartwheels, as their owners were second only to Citeh in the rich stakes. In a much better position now than they were before they took over but not gone on as they thought they would.

14. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

All I want is hope and to go to the match thinking I might see half decent football.

haven’t had that in years.

Were in for a fascinating ride.

15. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

They've one or two decent players at the moment and will still struggle. Even with the big cash injection the players might not be availible in Jan and even if they bought 7 or 8 top class players, they'd still need time to bed in.<ok>

16. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

New manager/coach any whispers on who it might be? Listening to Stavely Bruce is already on borrowed time

Irishshako likes this.
  17. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

I don’t think you really appreciate how much relief we have at getting rid of Ashley. We just want a club that progresses and we have been rotting ever since Ashley stepped into the club.

We are on a journey and we don’t expect to be winning anything any time soon. The ownership is no different to 90% of the owners out there right now.

That’s not the problem. We are a sleeping giant as are Leeds and honestly we are more than 2 years behind you in every aspect right now.

As fans we cannot just sit and be in a relegation battle every season listening to managers like Steve Bruce talking crap every week.

18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

There speaks the common sense football fan and guess most geordies are like that. I get texts from my son in law bragging about the richest club in Europe bollox, or texts me every time the barcodes score bollox (not many texts) the geordies have had nearly as bad a time as us because of ownership. I wish them well because the Premier league needs big traditional clubs to do well. So that the small village clubs can go back down the foodchain.

Steve Bruce will be allowed to finish the season unless in a relegation dogfight. I bet every player pulls their socks up too because they know they will be moved out. Expect an uplift in results and performances. No more will the fans mood drag the team down

19. FORZA LEEDS

Hopefully someone who’s willing to do a Saint-Maximin - Tyler Roberts straight swap :biggrin:

20. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

I see a lot of similarities in our respective clubs. Different journeys but ultimately similar.

The Leeds prior to getting relegated back in the 90’s where class. Rio Smith speed Harte Dorigo Cantona Yeboah Viduka Woodgate Sharpe Jimmy Floyd Batty the list is endless and at a time when we where also at our pomp.

We have suffered in that we both have the potential to be a top TOP side.

southernwhite and ellandback like this.