1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Dec 4, 2020.

1. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Just belt it at the wall at face height. There's lots of players who will put their hands up to protect their looks...and I reckon Arsenal have more than most

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

And now, the Skyte Sports player ratings

Tottenham
    Hugo Lloris 7, Serge Aurier 7, Toby Alderweireld 7, Eric Dier 7, Sergio Reguilon 7, Moussa Sissoko 6, Pierre-Emil Hojbjerg 9, Heung-Min Son 7, Giovani Lo Celso 5, Steven Bergwijn 5, Harry Kane 8

Arsenal
    Bernd Leno 5, Rob Holding 6, Gabriel 6, Kieran Tierney 6, Hector Bellerin 4, Thomas Partey 4, Granit Xhaka 5, Bukayo Saka 6, Willian 4, Alexandre Lacazette 6, Pierre-Emerick Aubemayang 4, Dani Ceballos 6, Eddie Nketiah 5

They don't actually watch games, do they?

3. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Shame Giroud wasn't there still. He would protect his looks at all costs

4. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The forwards are barely getting the ball, which is a big part of the problem. We are ranked 18th in the league for chances created, 18th for % of crosses completed and 18th for fast breakaways. We are averaging 9.5 shots per game, which is the equivalent of every bottom European side in England, Germany, Italy, Spain and France. We've had more foul throws (5) than goals (4) in the league since October.

I don't know if this 'clear the air' session was effective or not, but the reports suggested the players were more determined than ever to put things right by the end. Maybe they did have that intention. They didn't show that enough in the match. And I think it's because we lack quality.

This is the thing - what Arteta was doing before isn't working anymore, partly because I believe teams have sussed us out. We used to try and play accurate balls over the top in the channels in between the CB and full back for Aubameyang to run onto, and rely on lofted balls into our wide players making diagonal runs into the penalty area. We're so reliant on width that we have no guile or improvisation in the middle of the pitch, which makes us so much easier to defend against if our only threat is from the wings. He's so focused on structure when that stifles creativity. Not every pattern of play can be rehearsed.

Yeah, I mentioned this before. The powers that be have left a huge rebuilding job in the hands of 3 rookies - Edu, Arteta and Vinai. None of them have ever been in the thick of it like this before. It's a new experience for them and they've struggled to handle it very well. It's a horrible situation to put the fate of our club in the hands of people who aren't equipped to deal with it.

We do have a hefty wage bill that will be fairly significantly reduced by Summer, but without the allure of European football, it may be hard to attract the calibre or profile of players we want. And even then, we need our recruitment to be on point, in addition to relying on our youth players making a big step up in the Prem, which (so far) they haven't proved able to do yet. Whether this is because they're not mature enough or whether they're being hindered by Arteta's mismanagement, I don't know, but he needs to find solutions. And fast.

He's running out of time.

5. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

That's pretty much spot-on. When you're in this position, every bad decision needs 2 or 3 or 4 to be right to correct it.

You appoint a bad coach, then you've got to clear out him, his staff and his mistakes in the transfer market. Backing Arteta in January would be a big call...

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  6. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"I'm going to cut down a tree every time Bellerin makes a foul throw."
    "Calm down, Bolsonaro." <laugh>

There have been 16 foul throws in the Premier League this season. Bellerin has made 5 of them. No other player is responsible for more than one.
    That's a lot of basic ****-ups, both by one player and in general. When did everyone get **** at something so easy?
    People took the piss when Liverpool hired a throw-in coach. They clearly had a point.

Dier Hard likes this.
  7. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

A report on corners in elite football.

5. Conclusions The main conclusions that can be drawn from our study are 1) corner kicks are uncommon and largely ineffective, but are often decisive in the outcome of a match; 2) more elaborate corner kicks—sent to the far post, following a short initial kick and the intervention of three or four players in a dynamic set-up—are more effective; and 3) corner kicks taken under these circumstances have a 57.6% chance of resulting in a shot between the posts.

Attached Files:

8. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

So stop moaning about short corners, they are the most effective.

9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

No, short corners that are played to four other players are, apparently. How often does that happen?
    Even then the result is only for shots on target. They might all be **** hoofs from miles out.

I wouldn't apply statistics to this too much, anyway. Teams like City probably get more corners than anyone and don't necessarily do much with them.
    It's something that we definitely need to address, as ours are generally crap, but I doubt we're statistically much worse than the average.

10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

The image of Danny Rose watching Lamela nutmeg Townsend has now been replaced.

11. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I agree but nevertheless the research is interesting but the point you make is correct, 'played to four other players' it doesn't happen often does it. perhaps it should as hoofing it to the near post only produces 2% goal chances. Pretty much a waste of time.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Can anyone else smell boiling piss?

13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Would any other manager have this? There are up and downsides to it, in my opinion.
    Not Martin Twatkinson closing down Serge Aurier on our 2nd goal. Bizarre.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think Spurs have snidely capitalised on the videos that the Asian YouTuber was doing initially. They were at games pre-rona and solely focusing on Jose on the touchline as well as bits of Son and it was getting a ton of views, good few hundred thousand if I remember rightly.

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

To be fair to the club, it's not like he could continue to do them now.

Dier Hard likes this.
  16. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I love them vids

the guy is mesmerising and box office

17. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Alfie.These young ladies MUST be brought up the correct way. It's the Tottenham Way or the wrong way!

18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Something that Gary Neville pointed out during the game is very evident in that one.
    Mourinho's coaching staff are all busy. They all have things to do and make their voices heard to the players and officials.

I wonder how much of a difference they've made to his attitude from his days at Utd?
    He seems happier as part of a group, while Arteta looked a stark, solitary figure in comparison.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

20. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

he also seems to coach the crowd

Spurs is his home now and he behaves as such...It’s like United and their fans were desperate to show him that they are bigger than him...dunno why...must be insecure but definately arrogant

there loss is defo our gain

COYS