1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace Match History 1906 to 2014

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by THFC6061, Dec 4, 2014.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Tottenham Hotspur host Crystal Palace at White Hart Lane on Saturday 6th December 2014 2014 (KO 15:00) in the 15th round of matches of the 2014-15 Premier League season.

Spurs come into the game in 10th place on 20 points with Palace in 15th place on 13 points. This will be the 94th time the clubs have played each other.

Crystal Palace were founded in 1905 by the builders of the Crystal Palace (hence The Glaziers nickname) and played their first matches at the old Cup Final ground. They joined the Southern League Second Division for season 1905-06 and won promotion at the first attempt.

The first meeting between the two clubs came in the Southern League First Division in October 1906 with Spurs winning 3-0 at White Hart Lane and going on to do the double with a 1-0 away win in February 1907.

The 1907-08 season was the last for Tottenham in the Southern League and the two games against Palace ended with a win each. The clubs also played in the Western League that season with a win for both teams.

Spurs & Palace were regular opponents during the First World War and Tottenham enjoyed a run of nine consecutive wins against Palace during this period.

The first competitive game after WW1 came in the 1st Round (modern 3rd Round) of the FA Cup in January 1924 at The Nest in Croydon with Palace winning 2-0. They had previously played their games Herne Hill, Norwood and moved into their purpose-built stadium at Selhurst Park later in 1924.

Tottenham and Palace played several matches during World War Two with honours generally being fairly even.

Crystal Palace played their first season in the Top Flight of English Football in the 1969-70 season with Spurs winning both First Division matches 2-0. Jimmy Pearce and Martin Chivers got the goals at Selhurst Park while Alan Mullery and Steve Perryman were the scorers at White Hart Lane.

The clubs were also drawn together in the 4th Round of the 1969-70 FA Cup with Palace progressing after a 1-0 win in the replayed match in South London after the first game was goalless at the Lane.

Palace remained in the First Division for a further three seasons with Spurs winning four of the six matches and drawing the other two.

The clubs met in Division Two in 1977-78 with Spurs winning 2-1 at Selhurst Park (Ian Moores & John Duncan) and Palace getting a 2-2 draw at the Lane with Glenn Hoddle scoring a brace for Spurs. Tottenham won promotion at the end of that season.

Crystal Palace were back in the First Division for season 1979-80 and both matches against Tottenham were drawn.

The first Football League Cup game came in September 1980 with a 0-0 3rd Round draw at White Hart Lane followed by a 3-0 win at Selhurst Park in the replay with Ricky Villa, Glenn Hoddle and Garth Crooks all scoring.

The Eagles were founder members of the Premier League in 1992-93 but only lasted a season before being relegated. They returned for the 1994-95 season but fared no better and were again relegated. Their third season came in 1997-98 but failed to establish themselves and were relegated.
    Palace were back again for the 2004-05 season but once again dropped down to the Championship.

The game at Selhurst Park in August 2013 was settled by a 50th minute Roberto Soldado penalty after Dean Moxey handled Aaron Lennon's cross. Spurs completed the Double over Palace with a 2-0 win at the Lane in January 2014 with goals from Christian Eriksen and Jermain Defoe

The ten Premier League matches played between the two clubs resulted in four wins to Spurs and two to Palace with four games drawn.

Overall, Tottenham have won 42 of the 93 matches played so far with Crystal Palace winning 25 games and the remaining 26 drawn.

Full Record of Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace Matches 1906-2015

They Played for Spurs & Palace...

Clive Allen
    Dean Austin
    Chris Armstrong

Jimmy Bauchop
    Ken Bennett
    Ted Birnie
    John Bostock
    Terry Boyle
    John Brearley
    Johnny Brooks
    Fraizer Campbell

Arthur Crompton
    Jason Cundy
    Edgar Davids
    Chris Day

Bill Dodge
    Dickie Dowsett
    Terry Fenwick
    Mike Flanagan
    Gerry Francis
    (Palace player & manager of both clubs)
    Zeki Fryers
    Anthony Gardner
    Johnny Gavin
    George Graham
    (Palace player, Spurs manager)
    Andy Gray
    Bob Hewitson
    Charlie Hewitt
    Phil Holder
    Roger Hoy
    Archie Hughes
    Steffen Iversen
    Chris Jones
    John Lacy

David Levene
    Jimmy McCormick
    Bobby Mimms
    Alan Mullery (Spurs player, Palace manager)
    Jonathan Obika
    Gary O'Reilly
    Alan Pardew

George Payne
    Derek Possee
    Ron Reynolds (Spurs player, Palace scout)
    Wayne Routledge
    Arthur Rowe (Spurs player & manager, Palace manager & director)
    Neil Ruddock
    Charlie Rundle
    Cyril Spiers (Spurs player, Palace manager)
    Neil Sullivan
    Paul Stewart
    Perry Suckling
    (Palace player, Spurs goalkeeping coach)
    Peter Taylor
    Jack Tresadren (manager of both clubs)
    Andy Turner
    David Tuttle
    Dennis Uphill
    Terry Venables
    (also manager of both clubs)
    Ernie Walley (Spurs player, Palace caretaker manager)
    Claude Watson

2. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Paul Stewart, Wayne Routledge, Clive Allen & Fraizer Campbell all make an appearance. Again.

3. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Must win

4. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

Yes, we did the double over Palace last season and we have to do the same in 2014-15 to give ourselves a chance of a Top Four finish.

5. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I know its still close but i don't think we have a hope of top 4 this season. I'll settle for 6th, improving throughout the season and then starting in form next.

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I won't rule out top 4, City and Chelsea are the only sides so far that look nailed on to finish top 2, the rest is up for grabs in my opinion.

Soton had a good start, Utd are finding a bit of form after a slow start, Arsenal and Pool are quite similar to us by blowing hot and cold, Everton don't seem as strong as last season for some reason and Newcastle have had a few good results lately but I don't think it'll last.

Though with that said, I think we'll probably end up 5th or 6th. Unless Poch can make some good signings in January (CB and ST for me - Would like someone like Ashley Williams for the CB role). I'd put Utd and Arsenal favourites for 3rd and 4th.

7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I largely agree with SoS and I think that the top 7 from last season will probably be the same sides in a slightly different order.
    Chelsea, City, Man Utd and Arsenal for the top 4, then us and the two Merseyside clubs in some fashion.
    The larger squads of those sides will make a difference in the long run, for me.

We need another hard working performance on the weekend and then I'd like to see the main players rested for the Besiktas game.
    Soldado should come back in and I'd consider giving Mason a break, as he looked knackered, but I'd keep the bulk of the side from the last two fixtures.
    Bolasie may give Davies some trouble if he's not covered properly, but we should be more concerned with making Palace defend, hopefully.

8. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I'd bring Naughton back in as well PNP, assuming Walker won't be quite ready. Chiriches has shown more going forward at RB than Dier but he does look a liability at times. Its clearly not his position. I have it in my head that Walker will be coming back for Besiktas but I could be wrong. I'm hoping Lennon will be fit too, he looked a little off it towards the end of his time on the pitch last night but his work rate helps matters when we're out of possession.

Lloris
    Naughton Fazio Vertonghen Davies
    Lennon Stambouli Bentaleb Eriksen
    Soldado Kane

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah I'd give Mason a break for this one and give Paulinho a go with Nabil. Also switch Naughton in for Vlad and Soldado in for Lamela.

Bolasie doesn't worry me so much (cue him scoring now), he seems a player blessed with great skill yet his footballing brain when it comes to the important part fails him miserably. He'd skin our whole team with his eyes shut but then play a back pass to Speroni when he's got an open goal.

10. The Huddlefro

On Bolasie, a phrase a commentator used about Lamela after his rabona goal comes to mind - brilliant when he doesn't have time to think.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Very accurate.

12. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Him vs Townsend would be hilarious

13. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I really think a 'smaller' club will finish above us this season and possibly in 6th. West Ham or Soton.

14. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

We can and should win this...if we put the work rate and quality performance of the everton match in tomorrow then we will win...if we swan around like big time charlies then we will have another west brom/stoke/toon result on our hands...

15. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Warnker says he could've got a season-long loan for Kane - somehow forgetting that he wasn't in charge of Palace for all but about ten minutes of the summer transfer window.

16. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Man Utd had Valencia and Young at full backs last week - perhaps we should try Lennon and Townsend there. Frees up space for more attacking players....

17. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

Lennon would probably do a good job there,he always covers the R/B now when he plays

18. yidokev

yidokev Active Member

its called the europa league syndrome!!

19. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I thought we should have tried Lennon at right back.

Lennon and Townsend at fullbacks would split the difference between the 4-4-2 and the inverted winger thing. We could have both outside footed and inside footed wingers. Probably best to make it a 3-5-2, or else have an extra DM. I’d worry, a lot actually, about Townsend roaming. Davies is probably a saner choice.

I think we might have some chance for top four if Pochettino would do his best to pick the tactics and formation that have the best chance of getting the best result. But he hasn’t, as often as not, and I don’t believe he ever will consistently.

20. The Huddlefro

We need width and Pochettino looks to the players in the FB positions to provide it much of the time, but that isn't the answer. Lennon might be a hard worker but positionally he'd be as much of a liability as Chiriches or Dier, and Townsend isn't the answer at LB where we suffer from a lack of defensive cover as it is! Davies has been pretty good at getting forward I think, and the situation will improve on the other flank when Walker returns, presumably midweek or next weekend. We look better already with Lennon ahead of a less capable emergency RB as it is.