Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v LASK

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 20, 2020.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Blue ****e against Red ****e. Why am I going to watch that?
    It was just a repeat on the 2017 final, anyway. They even picked the same ref and he did the same thing.

Azpilicueta letting go of his shoulder means that he's no longer committing a foul. That's when he goes to ground.

2. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

When Sanchez gave a " nudge" on their forward in the first half my heart skipped a beat then realised no VAR I enjoyed the game so much more

3. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Here is why I said outfield player

4. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member

Pause at 4:44. His hand is on Aubameyang's shoulder as he's going to ground, and he's about to pull it away at that point because he realises he messed up. If someone is running onto the ball at speed and you pull their shirt a bit, then grab onto their shoulder, of course it's going to knock their momentum. At the very least, it was a foul and a penalty, which was what was given. But I do think it's a red card too.

Two of the most successful teams in London in a cup final. I think you're crazy for not watching it <whistle>

5. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Must be joking!

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard it's SPURS

7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's a tough ask for him to break into the side at the moment, especially in that position.
    Good to see him getting some minutes and doing fairly well, though.

Spurlock and Dier Hard like this.
  8. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I remember thinking how pleasant it was to watch, and what a good job the referee was doing. He began by sending a message to the players by keeping his whistle in his pocket, which was: you're big boys, quit moaning. That provided some welcome uninterrupted play. (Of course, I would have been livid had a foul led to a Maccabi goal.) Then he began calling fouls before the fouling got out of hand.

I used to be in favor of VAR for football. I thought that if it was used together with rule reform in a carefully planned and well executed way, it would improve the game. I still think that. Now I understand that expecting anything well planned and well executed from the football powers is like expecting differential equations from a toadstool.

It's not just the way VAR has made decisions interminable without improving their accuracy. It's that it hasn't been used in ways that could be helpful, like eliminating shirt pulling. If you used VAR to call a pen for all shirt pulls, after a brief blizzard of pens, no one would pull a shirt in the penalty box and the game would be improved.

PowerSpurs and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  9. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

They need to go back to square one and rewrite the Laws with the objective of all deliberate foul play giving a worse outcome than if the foul had not been committed. It would have weird effects at the start and after that only morons would commit fouls.

redwhiteandermblue likes this.