1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, May 8, 2018.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Wednesday 9th May 8pm
    Premier League
    Wembley Stadium​

Another loss and another poor display, as we shuffle towards the end of the campaign.
    It's been a fairly decent season so far, but it's all on the line in the last two games, as our form has bombed.
    Two wins will guarantee Champions League football and we face two sides with virtually nothing to play for.
    That also means that there's no pressure on them and a rare chance to play at the national stadium.
    Can we do enough to see off the late surge from Chelsea or do we face a summer of doom and gloom?

Despite some bumpy times and lengthy winless periods, Rafa Benitez has lead Newcastle to safety.
    They're comfortably mid-table and cannot be relegated, though their recent form hasn't been good.
    The Spanish manager has rotated quite heavily since passing the 40 point mark, so perhaps that's why?
    His pre-match comments suggest that he'll continue experimenting in their last two games.
    It's a free opportunity for him to assess his squad depth, so why not use it?

The summer will be a different test for the Geordies.
    Mike Ashley is still trying to sell the club and I suspect that they'll face approaches for Benitez.
    Another busy transfer window might face them, regardless of who's in charge.
    Their extensive loan list will also leave them a lot to work through.

There was no equivalent fixture last season, as the two clubs weren't in the same division.
    The match at St James' Park didn't suggest there was a massive gulf between the sides, though.
    We were showing our usual early season stupor, as it was the opening game of the season.
    A fairly dull and even first half ended goalless, but things soon heated up after the break.
    Jonjo Shelvey's red card turned things in our favour and goals from Alli and Davies followed:

Winks, Dembele, Aurier and Dier (illness) are all out of this one, though Vertonghen is available.
    Clark, Atsu and Gamez are out for Newcastle, while Slimani misses the last two games to suspension.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Trippier, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Rose; Wanyama; Lamela, Eriksen, Alli; Kane.
    Subs: Vorm, Davies, Dier, Sissoko, Moura, Son, Llorente.
    League form: WWLDWL.

Newcastle: Dubravka; Manquillo, Lascelles, Lejeune, Dummett; Murphy, Diame, Shelvey, Kenedy; Perez; Gayle.
    Subs: Darlow, Hayden, Haidara, Yedlin, Merino, Ritchie, Joselu.
    League form: WWWLLL.

Referee: Neil Swarbrick.

TV: Not televised.

Given our midfield injuries and recent form, how should we set up for this one?
    Does anyone need a rest or any of our usual bench need a start?
    Do we need to make any tactical changes?

2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Hooway the (Paul Stewart) lad !!!

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Given that he played for Sunderland, maybe not, eh?

4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Great start...

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  5. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

His season ended early

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Hugo
    Tripps, Toby, Jan, Davies
    Wanyama, Alli
    Lucas, Eriksen, Son
    Kane

Kane's gonna go 2016/17 and bang in seven goals in the final two games, you heard it here first.

7. humanbeingincroydon

With injuries to Dier, Dembele, Aurier and Winks, our bench might make for interesting reading. I'm going to assume KWP and one of Shashoua/Duncan/Roles/TO-B/Skipp

8. Not sure which is worse - Dier NOT being available or Aurier being fit!! <yikes>

<laugh>

9. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Ryan Mason to appear at half time.

Massive <applause> for the guy please.

Roo likes this.
  10. humanbeingincroydon

Aurier won't be fit until the final game at the earliest.

We should really go full circle and give KWP another shot, honestly.

Roo and Spur of the Moment like this.

11. Well he certainly did ok against them first up. But as Trippier is fit - and against WBA one of the only players to come out with any credit - I presume he will start?

Roo likes this.
  12. humanbeingincroydon

KWP is surely getting a spot on the bench against Newcastle, and if Aurier has a 50/50 chance of being fit at the weekend I can't see a reason why he shouldn't remain in the squad. It might also serve as a kick up the backside Aurier's needed for the last few months, as he's gone from having a storming game against Dortmund back in September to not knowing how to take a throw in properly against Palace back in February.

13. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

I reckon Poch will start with Sissoko in this one, particularly with Dembele being out.

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Throw in a couple conceded penalties, a red card, few yellows and one or two successful cross from about 7,432 attempts and it's summed up his season nicely, I'd say.

Roo and Spur of the Moment like this.
  15. humanbeingincroydon

Somehow he's still had a better season than Danny Rose, though.

16. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

I'm really not looking forward to this one for obvious reasons. By sheer luck, opportunity has presented itself where we can finish 3rd if we win our final two games at home (sort of). Problem is... the players look tired/disinterested/lacklustre/slow/uninspired (delete as appropriate).

If we win both our final two fixtures, I think it will be a small miracle. I see it going down to the last day where we may end up with 75 points along with Chelsea and Liverpool, with us limping into fourth on goal difference and sheer luck.

The only plus point tomorrow is we kick off 15 minutes later than Chelsea so we get to know their result before we finish and can do something about it.

Other than that, it's bicycle clip time!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  17. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

The negativity has been astounding since the last game, even by Spurs supporters standards. Good job the internet wasn't around in 1977!

We will get third this season.

And even if we don't - what the hell do you all expect? We've made giant steps in recent seasons and been punching above our weight. Are you upset if we don't punch even further up there? Without the completely undeserved megabuck investments in Citeh and Chelski in recent seasons we'd already been flying even higher, and the fact that we've beaten these teams from time to time is a major testament to the manager(s), players and owners.

18. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

True.
    Anyway.I have my fingers crossed,my toes crossed,my legs crossed and a rope around my neck I have absolute confidence!!!!!?

19. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

Eyes? Cheques? Bridges?......

20. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Off to the game in 45 minutes and will be travelling through South London and lots of Chelsea fans. Always a pleasure, never a chore. COYS.

It looks as though I may have 2 spare tickets for Sunday's game. 1 is an adult ticket and the other is a child's one. I am prepared to accept whatever someone can realistically afford to pay for them, so don't feel that you need to meet the face value, which is just under £60. I just want them to go to a supporter, preferably one who's going to scream their heart out for the shirt. Please PM me if you're interested and I will arrange to meet you before the game.