1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 18, 2020.

1. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

They need somehow to differentiate between deliberately holding your arms in a way to make your body wider and the natural movements you make with your arms to retain balance while running or turning.
    Under the current rule pointing to where a team-mate needs to go is risky in the extreme.

2. Ahem!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Mourinho agreed with me, so there! <laugh>

4. Apparently, it's a Prem record, involving the same players.

5. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Unfair to blame the ref same as Atkinson yesterday the ref can only apply the laws of the game and ridiculous as it maybe these penalties have been given correctly in accordance with laws as they stand.

I don't agree with the changes and as Souness said yesterday you could ask every player that plays and they too would say that these shouldn't be given but don't blame the refs.

As for the game i am one of lucky ones only saw the 2nd half so I thought we were excellent - Son and Kane clearly want to stay in the side with Bale.

6. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Why is it we can only do that for 45 minutes, not 90?

7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Wnat to make it a maths problem ?? Here you go then :

The ball is hit at player P at X mph, P moves their arm(s) at Y mph. Usually X >> Y.

For any given X/Y, what is the maximum distance D from where the
    ball is struck such that P can consciously move their arm(s) in response ??

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Mate Jose had a bit of a mare today. Selection and tactics in that first half were poor. Kane and Son’s brilliance bailed him out today. Needs to stop this love-in with Dier and Winks getting so many starts whilst he also needs to instruct Hojbjerg better, he had a much better second half but we shouldn’t be needing to rectify so many mistakes all the time. Ndombele’s work done him huge favours in that first half so subbing him off seemed ridiculous. You know I’m not anti-Jose by any means but I’m not gonna overlook some of his bad decisions either.

9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Francis Benali and Glenn Hoddle doing the punditry.
    Two players who are heroes for their respective clubs, but for very different reasons.
    Benali wasn't the best footballer, but he'd work his arse off every match and drag his teammates up with him. Grafter.

The Changing Man likes this.
  10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Who's responsible for the changes, then? The officials should've all told them to stick this change up their arses.
    Everybody knows that's not a handball, so why agree to call it one?

11. PowerSpurs

That still doesn't cover the situation where a player stands still with his arms apart, which imho should be handball.

12. Hmm...

I wonder if they have anyone in mind?

13. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Jose sorted out the shape of the team and hot them playing with more intensity.
    Thought his subbing of Ndombele was sensible and he clearly sees Lamela as an important squad player which is good.

Got nothing good to say about the 1st half (after 10 mins), the handball laws or the offside laws...they are killing football.

14. PowerSpurs

Well it's the IFAB who have plenty of experienced advisors.
    https://www.theifab.com/structure
    The Laws are getting more stupid on each change though.

15. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I gave him praise a few posts back... he did a good job...I aint a jose fan but I want him to succeed...he is our manager and h8m succeeding benefits us and pisses everyone else off!

16. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

IFAB - The International Football Association Board are responsible for rule changes and referees are notified at the start of the season of the changes made, very difficult for referees to take a stand against this. Of course these are only applied in matches that have VAR so doesn't effect the game at lower levels.

PowerSpurs likes this.

17. I agree with you about Winks.

However, I am not laying this start on Mou.

I think a lot of teams are still finding their way at the start of this season. I have absolutely no doubt that Mou knows exactly what he wants from this team, and where our weaknesses are. It just needs time, and we saw in that second half the true potential of this squad, with a couple of superb additions to come.

I was discussing with my eldest, at half time, that our midfield seemed to be non existent in that first half, and I was wondering if Mou was winging it, what with all the games coming up?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2020
    Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.
  18. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Against a team playing a madly high line like Southampton, sure. Not every team will allow us that space in behind though. No doubt he was exceptional in those circumstances today though.

On NDombele, Jose said he took him off to protect him as he was concerned about him being on a yellow, and also because he’s not quite fully fit yet. As it is, Tanguy had a decent first half and if he can continue to improve his fitness, I think he’s going to be a big player for us when it comes to picking apart teams who sit deep against us.

19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Peter Walton trying to defend that bullshit.
    "We'll have to get used to it." No, we won't. We can **** it off because it's bloody stupid. Twat.

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It really was a Jekyll and Hyde performance.

We were awful in that first half but scored a great goal via Tanguy, Harry and Sonny.

The over reliance on Dier is getting tedious and I get more and more wound up every game seeing Winks play for this football club <laugh>.

Jose obviously said stuff at HT and it must’ve worked, we came out a much different team, though taking Tanguy off is something I massively disagreed with, yellow or not he was the only player looking to make something happen, bringing Gio on was great but should’ve been for Winks.

Harry and Son were phenomenal and it can only leave you getting excited over the prospect of Bale joining them. That really does have the potential to be one of the best front threes in Europe.

Oh and **** VAR.