1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Nov 2, 2018.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Saturday 3rd November 7.45pm
    Premier League
    Molineux Stadium​

Another week, another win at West Ham. Back to the league and we've got a late kick-off.
    Our trip to the West Midlands is an evening fixture and I really do mean evening.
    Our hosts may be a newly promoted side, but they haven't looked like one, so far.
    They've definitely been doing something right, so this will be another stern test for our depleted squad.
    It's a quick turnaround for a must-win Champions League game, so there's no respite on the horizon.

Nuno Espirito Santo was quite an unknown prospect on these shores when he joined Wolves two summers ago.
    His career as a goalkeeper was largely spent on benches and in lower divisions.
    Spells at Rio Ave, Valencia and Porto as a manager had some highlights, but nothing that had grabbed headlines.
    Wolves had been through plenty of chaos and their coaching position had become a rotating door.
    Fans could've been forgiven if they'd have thought that he was destined for a rapid exit.

The Portuguese influence at the club turned a formerly spent force into a Championship powerhouse.
    An influx of expensive signings and loans transformed them and they powered to the top of the division.
    Halloween saw them hit the top and they never gave it up after that, rarely slipping on the road to promotion.
    99 points and 82 goals won them the title with two games to spare.
    They won it well and did so with some style, playing an entertaining brand of football.

The summer saw more investment and an even larger Iberian influence.
    It's paid off so far, as they've looked hard to beat and easy on the eye.
    Draws against Everton, City and United suggest that they can compete with the best sides, too.
    Their three losses have come against Watford, Leicester and Brighton, so a more direct game may pay dividends.

We haven't had an equivalent fixture since the 2011/12 season, so here's a different match instead:

It would be a long wait for the next all-English European final, which came in 2007/08.

Vertonghen and Rose are joined by Dier and Wanyama on the treatment table.
    Diogo Jota misses out for the hosts. Neither side has any suspensions.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Trippier, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Davies; Sissoko, Dier, Dembele; Lamela, Kane, Moura.
    Subs: Gazzaniga, Aurier, Walker-Peters, Winks, Eriksen, Alli, Son.
    League form: LWWWWL.

Wolves: Patricio; Bennett, Coady, Boly; Doherty, Neves, Moutinho, Jonny; Costa, Traore; Jimenez.
    Subs: Ruddy, Vinagre, Dendoncker, Gibbs-White, Jota, Cavaleiro, Bonatini.
    League form: WDWWLL.

Referee: Mike Dean.

TV: Sky Sports.

We changed 10 players from our first fixture of the week to the second. How many should keep their place?
    Does anyone need to be rested or rotated out and did anyone do enough for a place on the bench?
    Is there anything that we need to do differently tactically for this match?

maggie blanchflower likes this.
  2. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

3. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Mike Dean <doh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  4. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

<laugh>

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Gazza
    Aurier, Dave, Toby, Davies
    Foyth, Winks
    Lucas, Lamela, Son
    Kane

Eriksen and Dele still aren't 100% and there's no need to rush them back when we have the options that we do in AM. Would love for Gazza to start but I'm fully aware that's wishful thinking. Aurier over Tripps for me, I'm probably Tripps' biggest fan on this forum but he hasn't been at his best so far while Serge has looked decent in his chances. Risky throwing Foyth in at DM, as discussed in the WH thread, although after his performance the other night, he deserves a shot in the side and DM could be a good fit for him.

6. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I don't see many changes from Monday to be honest I think Poch will pick this team -
    Hugo,
    Trips, Dave, Toby, Davies
    Sissoko, Dembele, Winks
    Lucas, Kane, Son

7. Real left field suggestion..... if not Foyth, what about trying out Sissoko at DM?
    Shall I get my coat? <laugh>

Dier Hard likes this.
  8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

****, I actually forgot about him, he's played really well this season. Probably a safer bet than Foyth too, to be honest.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  9. Thought I’d get laughed off the Forum tbh, but he has the physical presence, playing with confidence - and from there would probably eliminate any possibility of him having to shoot <laugh>

10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Son has to start he's a confidence player and looked like he was buzzing again on Wednesday, I'm expecting a purple patch from him now if given the chance and Sissoko has deserved a start

My front 4 would be Sissoko Lamela Son and Kane up front. Wouldn't mind trying Sissoko Eriksen/Alli Son with Lamela in the false 9 position to give Kane something to think about off the bench

11. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Your suggestion of Foyth as a DM could be a master stroke. I see no reason why it’s not worth trying him I that position. We know it’s where we’re currently weak, and a decent performance or two could potentially solve a big issue, even as far as not having to buy an unknown entity in January for a lot of money that may not work out. <ok>

Dier Hard likes this.
  12. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Right lads, who is realistically going to start today? Fantasy football has been nothing but a migraine this season! <laugh>

13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

If only Ade had played more like that season for the rest of his time with us, he was brilliant to watch that year, goals and assists galore.

Although it's hardly a surprise (despite the obvious second season syndrome rep he had) that he was just a number of players to turn to **** once AVB got his claws into them.

15. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Great to see Foyth keep his pace.

No dele in the squad, though...

16. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Foyth starts, after his impressive midweek performance and it looks like either a 4-3-3 or Winks playing in the three behind Kane.

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Foyth gets his Prem debut and you'd have to say, it's fully deserved. In place of Dave though, which is an understandable decision considering he played twice in 48 hours and we have PSV in a few days.

18. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

suspect Dele can not do Monday, Wedbest and Saturday after his lay off.

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I predicted neither Dele nor Eriksen would start, though surprised Dele isn't in the squad. Hopefully he didn't pick up anything against West Ham and it is just precaution that he's not selected for today with PSV in mind.

20. Allledleykingsmen

Allledleykingsmen Well-Known Member

Surprised Eriksen and Son not starting. But then again with PSV on Wednesday you can understand Poch rotating.
    Great to see Foyth starting.

Think it will be our trusted 4231 with winks Dembele as the two, Sissoko down the right with Lamela centre supporting Kane and Lucas left.