1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham v Norwich

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by SuffolkCanary, Dec 2, 2021.

?

Who will win this one?

1. Tottenham Win

14.3%
  2. Norwich Win

21.4%
  3. Draw

64.3%
  1. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

We go into this way on the back of a 4 game unbeaten run, can we keep the momentum going?

Spurs recent form hasn’t been great, highlighted by an embarrassing loss in the Europa Conference League. Spurs did however beat Brentford by 2 goals to nil on Thursday night after their previous weekends game at Burnley was called off.

No news as yet on whether Norwich’s absentees from Tuesday nights game will be able to return. Normann has been to see a consultant about his pelvic injury but no more information as yet. Rashica sounded more precautionary if anything so hopefully he can return. Cantwell’s covid issues will hopefully be over and he can return to the squad.

The defence is likely to remain the same as Tuesday as will most likely the midfield and Pukki up top. The question marks are really on the wings, for me Tzolis looked good in spells but also very raw at times, if Rashica is fit enough he should come back in. Similarly if Cantwell is fit I believe he comes in for Sargent, although the latters work rate against the ball could be useful with Spurs likely to be playing with wing backs.

Positive vibes!

ON THE BALL CITY!!!

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Nice one Suffolk and here's hoping yo up can keep your run going! <cheers>

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  3. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Recent news suggests that both Normann and Rachica will out for Spurs match. Just read it on Newsnow Norwich website as reported in EDP. They are two of our strongest performers in recent matches. A draw would be a good result.

4. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Rashica reportedy out for 3-4 weeks!

Normann will most this one but possibly back for the Man Utd game.

Cantwell has submitted a negative covid result and is available again.

5. RiverEndRick

Yes, missing both again is a blow but at least Normann may be back for ManUtd. Sadly Rashica was just getting into his stride but we still have Dowell and Tzolis and perhaps Cantwell will be on the bench. Given Spurs' strength attacking through the middle, might this be the time to play Sørensen at DM and move Gilmour further forward? Some tough calls for DS.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  6. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Frustrating regarding Rashica as he was just getting into a real rhythm and I thought he was going to have a match winning performance at some point.

SuffolkCanary and RiverEndRick like this.
  7. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

When I watched the game V Newcastle when I saw Gilmore I thought wow he's tiny! He's 5 ft 7 in according to wiki, but seemed tiny on the pitch

8. Canary Rob

Yep, tough. I wouldn't be surprised to see him try three at the back.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  9. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Looks about 14yrs old

zogean_king and RiverEndRick like this.
  10. RiverEndRick

Someone suggested that Kabak could play as a DM which might be more effective against Spurs, although Sørensen could also be used in that role given that he has played as a CB before. It'll be interesting to see what Smith decides.

11. Canary Rob

Interesting - is that just a guess based on his quality on the ball? I have checked his online data and it suggests he has played DM only once (in the Bundesliga in 2019 and they lost 6-0!!!)

I would love to see him play a bit more though as I am convinced there is a fairly classy potential gem, but he needs experience and confidence. I also think he was slightly unfairly blamed for some of our defensive frailties (though he was certainly at fault at times).

12. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

This ^
    He was unfortunate in being thrown in at a time when DF appeared more concerned about where our goals were going to come from than how to keep the ball out of our own net. When Kabak and Normann signed we thought that was the defence sorted -- a quality CB with PL experience at Liverpool last season, and a Norwegian international DM filling the hole left by Ollie Skipp. Instead of which we saw both players belting forward at virtually any opportunity with "get forward" clearly imprinted on their minds. As for his being at fault at times, it's not as if the players keeping him out of the team are exactly blameless ......... <whistle>

13. RiverEndRick

"Belting forward at virtually any opportunity" is way overstating it Robbie. Kabak did make a couple of amazing runs dribbling past opposing defenders and even earning a free-kick on the edge of the area. He was thrown in too quickly though and did make mistakes defensively, but he's a good player and needs more game time to adjust. He's not playing at the moment because we're on a four match unbeaten run and Hanley and Gibson's partnership has been an important part of that, as DS has acknowledged.

At DM, Normann has been our best player since he arrived and differs from Skipp in that he's excellent on both sides of the ball. Skipp was excellent on the defensive side of his role, but far more limited in support of the attack. Skipp would be unlikely to have scored the goal which led us to beat Brentford and begin the unbeaten run we're now on. Normann doesn't 'belt forward', but uses his passing skills to support attacks, create goalscoring chances and scoring himself, all things that Skipp rarely managed, though, like Normann, he is good at breaking up attacks. It would be interesting to see them on opposing sides, but that is not to be.

14. Robbie BB

Poetic licence, Rick <laugh>

15. RiverEndRick

Hyperbole more like (ie. "obvious and intentional exaggeration");)

Robbie BB likes this.
  16. Robbie BB

Can be a wonderfully effective figure of speech for anyone with a point to make <cheers>

17. Canary Rob

Transfermarkt suggests that Kabak has been ill for November. I don’t remember that ever being announced? Am I wrong to think he was dropped?

18. Robbie BB

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    SuffolkCanary likes this.
  19. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Been in training since Wednesday apparently.

Michael Bailey expects an unchanged starting XI from Newcastle. I guess Sargent makes sense for his work against the ball.

20. RiverEndRick

It can be in poetry and fiction, but it is simply a distortion of the truth and deliberately misleading when used in analytical discussions. Stick to the facts Robbie.