1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer goss and rumours, Summer 2016.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Well I guess because the opposition is generally fairly poor, so you only have to be better than poor to stand out. Where as if the opposition is generally good or very good you need to play really well to stand out. So to consistently stand out / look good at U21 level he only needs to be better than poor. Also I'm not so sure he's been inconsistent for us, generally I'd say he's been pretty Sh!t, perhaps his best performances have been when he's come on as a sub and uses his speed against generally tired older players. Which is perhaps why many people are starting to see him as a decent consistent impact sub.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I have had my doubts about Redmond in the past, but mainly because of his weakness when the ball is lost and he wasn't very effective at getting back to help the RB. He has improved considerably in that of late, which has helped to strengthen the defence lately. AN seems to have given him a free role to some extent, which produced our two best shots on target against Arsenal. He played a key role in several breakaways against ManUtd as well, but unfortunately they came to nothing. I think he's improving, but apparently Stoke are interested in signing him over the summer.

3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He is a bit of an enigma, Rick, that's for sure. Four goals early in the campaign suggested he'd turned a corner, but it sort of proved a false dawn. I know the team were misfiring and stuttering all season, but that should have been his cue to seize initiative, get on the ball, try and make something happen.
    Too often, he was dropped, or allowed his head to drop.
    If played in a fairly fluid role, I can still see him making it - unfortunately, I can't see that happening with NCFC.

marknemo likes this.
  4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I feel he could be a very useful addition to a team, but agree it's not likely to be with NCFC - though he does like living in Norwich!!!!

5. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

7. Forgot_My_Lines

I could see it happening since middle of the season when he wasn't getting games. His potential and natural ability far exceeds our team, and the staff haven't been able to use him right, or bring him on and tighten up his weaknesses. Someone like Mark Hughes getting hold of him, he will really come on. He will be a Premiership regular in future, maybe even in and around the England team.

JM Fan likes this.
  8. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I agree, fine he has potential but I don't think Hughes and his staff are miracle workers. Everyone of us can see the major deficiencies in his game so I find it hard to imagine that succesive City managers haven't too. I think he's lazy, or slow or something. But he switches off or can't be bothered getting back. It's not just under Neil, but Hootun & Adams too. I'm sure people thought the same of Andros Townsend, but inspite of great natural talent in both cases, more so in Townsends case, they are both too lazy and not team players. Sure Redmond has talent and can make things happen, trouble is he is partially culpable in making goals happen behind him when he doesn't help out the defense more than actually creating them and scoring them the other end.
    I don't believe he'll make an England side. The are significantly better players ahead of him and I can't see him ever playing for a top 6 side. And we all know the England coaches/manager won't so much as look at you, if you don't play for the big boys.

Bah!

9. Forgot_My_Lines

Someone needs to get hold of him, get him on the training ground heading for the byline, and getting crosses into the box. Also, using all his dribbling skills to cut in and run into the box. Leicester have had a stupid amount of pens, because they are very direct, and very fast. If Redmond ran for the box, took on players and did his little jigs, he would be clumsly brought down for far more penalties. Work on heading into the box if no players are far enough forward with him, rather than stopping play and waiting for the team to catch up, or getting a quick cross into a danger area (either a City player throwing themselves at the ball, or a deflection for a corner, own goal, anything.)

He would be a totally different and more effective player. It must be how he's told to play. He looks so dangerous when he is more direct.

carrowcanario and Walsh.i.am like this.
  10. marknemo

marknemo Active Member

Its the same old thing with Norwich players and their individual abilities. Our issue, in my eyes is that we don't attack as a team. Redmond stopped with the ball half way inside Utd's half at the weekend as there was probably only one other Norwich player up with him. probably 4 Utd players had tracked back but where was the Norwich attacking contingent? He looked frustrated and I would be too. He's not perfect but could play for a better side and one that commits players forward would see him showing what he can do more frequently. If you spend more time attacking then he will get more chances to shoot, take players on ect. I think our team is so scared of conceding that we never really attack with any conviction.

Leicester have shown this season that possession is not essential to winning football matches and creating chances.

Walsh.i.am likes this.

11. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Is that the same Mark Hughes thought Huth wasn't good enough for Stoke and passed him on to a lower end PL team.

If anyone could have brought Redmond you would have thought Adams would have. Despite his deficiencies as a manger he had/s a good reputation developing young players.

12. General Melchett

But should he have, has our first team seen any influx of youth into it's ranks? Promising bunch but was that because or inspite of him?

Bah!

13. RiverEndRick

Looking ahead to next year (assuming relegation), what changes to our squad do we expect or need? (I haven't included current loan players)

GK Ruddy, Rudd, Kean, Matthews
    RB Martin, Pinto, Whittaker
    CB Klose, Bennett, Bassong, (Martin)
    LB Olsson, (Brady), Toffolo
    DM Tettey, Mulumbu, O'Neil, Thompson
    CM Howson, Odjidja-Ofoe, Dorrans, McGrandles, Godfrey
    WR Redmond, (Jarvis), Jacob Murphy
    WL Brady, Jarvis, (Naismith), Josh Murphy
    AM Hoolahan, Naismith, Andreu, Maddison
    S Jerome, Lafferty, (Naismith), RvW, Loza, Morris

As others have said, leavers could include Brady, Klose and Redmond, though there could be more. The obvious weak areas are CB and striker if Klose leaves and Mbokani moves on. It seems to me Toffolo could provide cover for Olsson, but losing both Brady and Redmond would leave us very short on wide players. Might the Murphys come back into consideration? Which other young players might make the step up?

The difficulties I see is that any new players signing are likely to be Championship level. Will that improve the squad and will it leave us short of PL quality players if we should gain promotion? Difficult questions for AN and the rest of us.

14. General Melchett

I'd like to see a massed cull and us to show some ambition by doing everything including juicy bonuses to keep hold of Brady and Klose, the only players I think are truely PL quality. I'd like to start the season with the following:

GK New No.1, Rudd, Kean, Matthews
    RB Martin, Pinto,
    CB Klose, New CB, Bennett, (Martin)
    DM New one who can pass! Tettey, O'Neil, Thompson
    CM Howson, McGrandles, Godfrey
    WL Brady, Jarvis, Josh Murphy
    AM Hoolahan, Naismith, Maddison
    S New goal scorer, Another striker more ready than Loza and Morris maybe an old boy in case the others get injured, Jerome, (Naismith), Loza, Morris

1st XI in red
    Bench in turquiose
    Loans in orange

All that said, the key things for me are getting rid of most of the deadwood, and adding new better options at CB and striker, the Keeper, and DM may have to wait, both Tettey and Ruddy are capable enough for the championship. I'd love to see some of the youngsters be able to step up, but I don't know if any of them will actually be ready?

Bah!

DHCanary likes this.
  15. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To go through department by department based on RER's list:

GK Ruddy, Rudd, Kean, Matthews

Ruddy hasn't done enough this season to earn a move anywhere better, and the personal life issues seem to have died down, so he stays. I can see Rudd wanting a permanent move elsewhere as it's seeming clear he won't break through properly here, and with Kean and Matthews I don't think we need to hold Rudd back. I can't see any other changes in the GK position as it's not a priority. Perhaps if Kean isn't deemed good enough we might see an experienced old head come in, but we won't be spend money here.

RB Martin, Pinto, Whittaker
    CB Klose, Bennett, Bassong, (Martin)

At RB, Pinto and Whittaker seem the same type of player, and we've no real need for both. Whittaker to move on if it's possible, but with Martin as a CB option I wouldn't be surprised if we keep 3 RB's and neglect CB again. Martin, Bennett and Bassong to stay through lack of better offers if nothing else, and they're acceptable at championship level. Considering Klose and Brady, I think as the deals were made under McNally, we have to assume that the policy will be as before in that we will not need to sell anyone to balance the books. Brady left Hull upon relegation but they had to make sales, whether he can be convinced to stay will be interesting, but he will attract attention. Klose we should move heaven and earth to keep, but if we can't then hopefully he'll go for enough to fund moves for 2 decent CBs, one established and one with the potential to grow into a PL CB. Olsson to stay, and Toffolo seems good enough to join the first team as backup. If Brady stays then it frees him up to play further forward.

DM Tettey, Mulumbu, O'Neil, Thompson
    CM Howson, Odjidja-Ofoe, Dorrans, McGrandles, Godfrey

Tettey, Howson, O'Neil to hopefully stay. Mulumbu and Dorrans I don't think we'll be able to shift unfortunately. I'd like to see Vadis stay and establish himself, but I think he'll be allowed to move on. Thompson, McGrandles and Godfrey to probably go out on loan, I don't think they've done enough yet for a first team spot. I'd hope to see another signing in this department, but suspect the need to shift Mulumbu's wages will dictate whether that's possible.

WL Brady, Jarvis, (Naismith), Josh Murphy
    AM Hoolahan, Naismith, Andreu, Maddison

Redmond seems unhappy at the club and peripheral, I think he'll go. Jarvis to stay. Josh Murphy was player of the season at MK Dons, if he wasn't already ours we'd be looking to buy him, he has to make the squad. Jacob has impressed at a lower level, but I think will get a loan to the bottom of the championship, If Naismith stays I can't see his attitude being right, I expect him to go. Perhaps a return to SPL-bound Rangers? One of the few clubs he might take a wage cut for. I'd expect one or more of Naismith and Brady to go though, with an experienced winger coming in, albeit probably one only good for the championship.

Hoolahan will stay, Maddison is probably promised first team football and deserves to make the squad. Andreu to league 1? I'd like to see Vadis step up in this area.

S Jerome, Lafferty, (Naismith), RvW, Loza, Morris

Jerome to lead the line again, nobody else here is good enough to be brutally honest. 2 strikers at least needed. Mbokani I could kind of see staying, plus one new first teamer and a youngster on loan perhaps.

16. RiverEndRick

Pretty much as I see it DH. I think the phrase sometime back was 'evolution not revolution' and that's what I'd expect now. Like GM, I'd like to see the club persuade Klose and Brady to stay at least until January and after that if we are pushing for promotion. Much could also depend on how many of the young players continue to develop. I can see Josh coming back into the team and Toffolo as back up for Olsson and Thompson similar at DM. McGrandles has been around for a while now, so this season is probably make or break. The one I'm most looking forward to seeing is Maddison, who could make a big difference if he is as good as people say he is. I'd also like to see Odjidja-Ofoe stay to bring more creativity to our midfield. I do think Jerome can do a good job up front but we need another proven goalscorer.

17. General Melchett

I do wonder about how good Maddison will be? For all the excitment, I hope that he is dealt with patiently. He is afterall only playing for Coventry at the moment and in something of a breakthru season. The fact we actually got him tempers my excitment a little as if he was really mustard, why was he a) still at Cov, b) coming to us? Maybe that's overly negative, the clips I've seen of him he looks a tidy player but I would still be surprised if he plays more than a bit part for us even in the Championship. Currently he probably sits behind a number of senior options like; Wes, Naismith or even Vadis, let's hope he can displace them all because that would mean we have got some player on our hands!

Bah!

RiverEndRick likes this.
  18. RiverEndRick

What we need more than anything at the moment is hope, General! ;)

19. General Melchett

I'm not sure about Neil but I don't think she's what we're looking for!
    please log in to view this image

Bah!

20. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

Sexist and disgusting
    :police:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.