1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer rumours

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by TopBunk, May 16, 2021.

1. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he is more of a midfielder/winger that can play as a full back, jack of all trades, master of none i guess. Better than anything we had last season tho!!

On a separate note, any of you boys going tomorrow?

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

No but looking forward to the reports if anyone makes it along.

3. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

No,gave up on all friendly football matches years ago.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Would have loved to see how some of the new players and Zaha if he’s involved.

5. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Season starts in 2 weeks and we still (IMO) need a central defender or 2. Definitely a left footer and for me, a leader of the defence and possibly made as club captain. The guy from Luton fell through who would have been perfect but we need someone similar - hopefully this week. Needs to be a permanent signing

itfcptc and Bigalreigned like this.
  6. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

You really hate being proved wrong don’t you...

I’m not really a fan of the loan system especially how some of the big prem clubs have dozens and dozens of players out on loan for years, that said at our level it can be beneficial to both parties.

Buckyohare and Spanish like this.
  7. Spanish

Cook etc know this, 100% we will bring in what is required!!

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

In any one season maybe it helps occasionally, but it doesn’t make any improvement to our assets so it harms us in the following seasons when we could have been giving our own talent experience. I’m sure on balance the loans only harm us.

9. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

George Edmundson from Rangers apparently…CB

10. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

If a loan player improves our first team for a season of course it benefits us…..it will also benefit other players to train with a better player to learn from them…. I’m sure a good loan player is better to have than a **** ‘asset’ that you hope will improve with games.

fieldmarshall likes this.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

If we only signed one loan player who was a success and made enough of a difference to keep us in or take us up a division that would be true. But in the history of the club only Lawrence has had that much of an impact by helping to keep us up. Even Daryl Murphy didn’t make enough difference to improve our division.

Instead loanees, even the good ones, just burn wages and keep our own players out of the side which makes the team less valuable and poorer quality for years after.

12. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

Fraser, Celina, Matland-Niles, Dos-Santos among others improved our first team, I don’t see how training with better players makes other players worse( maybe they are just not good enough), the squad being poor quality for years is not down to a few loan players of that I’m pretty sure.

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I loved Gio, he was an exceptional talent and maybe he’s worth having to give everyone a buzz but even he didn’t improve the fortunes of the club.

It’s not only having the loans - it’s also the type of owner and manager that would fail on strategy and fail to sign our own players, fail to develop our youth players and then bring five or six loans in to patch up the side.

I would be all in for signing a top experienced CB on loan or a deadly striker, but it’s unlikely to bring those types of players to a League One side on loan. I don’t see the benefit of bringing Coulson in unless it’s with an option to make it permanent and I really hope we don’t sign four or five loanees.

14. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

Is he any good? Better than Nsiala abs Wolfenden?

the loan system is often very useful for flexible ways to get players onto a pitch and helping a club in need abs where they can’t sign someone for lack of funds or the availability of a target. It’s sometimes the most pragmatic solution to a problem for both parties. There’s pros and cons as mentioned above. You sign them permanently and then they get badly injured or don’t cut it and it’s a waste, a loanee Iu just send them back.

15. Spanish

The loan system is brilliant, if used properly, if it was ****.....nobody would use it, simples!

fieldmarshall and TopBunk like this.
  16. Spanish

Funny thing is Yorkie, when we send young players out on loan, we all say ' great it will give them the experience they need etc'
    Yet when we sign a player on loan....you think it's **** and to the detriment of our own players....you couldn't make it up!

TopBunk likes this.
  17. Spanish

Yorkie....
    "If we only signed one loan player who was a success and made enough of a difference to keep us in or take us up a division that would betrue."

Correct me if I'm wrong, Martin Reuser was on loan the year we got promoted to the premier league?? Now I'm sure he made a hell of a difference!!

TopBunk likes this.
  18. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

Sixtoes was pretty good for us too

19. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

Loans can work well or not work out, just because it hasn’t paid dividends in the near past doesn’t mean it can’t work.
    I’m of the mentality that trust in the management and owners is the important thing and currently I have that in abundance.

Spanish likes this.
  20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Reuser played eight League matches on loan and we made the play offs with 13 points to spare so fair to say he didn't help us get us into the play offs. Maybe we lose the play offs without him, but who knows.

I said I can't think of a player who has made a material difference - and congratulations - that's a fair argument for one, albeit over 20 years and at least 50 loan signings ago.

Coulson is a season long loan coming into a defensive position we have already made a signing for. If he's the only loan I'm not that bothered and we have done a lot of good business this window, but help me out here, why have we done that deal?