1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

You might be in the relegation zone this weekend

<laugh>

Dier Hard likes this.
  2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Mate the season we sacked Poch he’d just been backed with £120m worth of transfers <laugh>.

If you actually delve deeper though and don’t listen to the anti-Levy media, it was Poch - not Levy - who was to blame for not strengthening at times. I don’t wanna dig Poch out too badly though but if you look into what happened in 18/19 and then read some of the stuff Ally Gold has recently written (who’s basically Spurs’ own version of Fabrizio Romano) you’ll notice the difference between Poch and Jose when it’s come to working with Levy/ Hitchen on the transfers side of things.

3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Surprised we are not right now, 1 win and 2 losses is not a good start and Brighton really deserved to beat us.
    Where did our respective teams stand after 10 games last season? that should give a good indication of the final outcome <laugh>

4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Jose works well with all clubs/management until things get tough. Have you not followed his career <laugh>

Tilly'sowner and Dier Hard like this.
  5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Jose and Levy are the love story we’ve all been waiting for mate. It’s the unstoppable force vs the immovable object, though in this case they become best friends. At least I ****ing hope so, lol.

For realz though, I’ve noticed a big difference already in how the two managers approach a transfer market. Not saying Poch’s way was wrong but I must admit I favour Jose’s approach.

Diego likes this.
  6. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Diego obsessed with Jose...like he knows inside how much his club messed up by binning the man who won 2 out of the 3 post Fergie trophies and achieved their highest league finish since Fergie retired and replaced him with the bloke who got Cardiff relegated

Denial at its finest <laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I have heard that Jose is a bit like Fergie in this, gives the CO a list of 3 or 4 players in each position he want's to strengthen and say's get me one of each.

Works well because the CO has a few options and the manager has more chance of getting a player he thinks he can use.

8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Daniel mate, it's spelt Daniel <ok>

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

That’s exactly it.

Poch was quite stubborn in that if he couldn’t get his first choice target he didn’t want anyone else.

Whereas with Jose he’s been more open minded and understands that option B or C can still improve the team/ squad.

It’s worked out perfectly for us because we’ve got a mix of first choices, second choices and the willingness to accept perhaps a cheaper alternative in some areas probably allowed us to utilise the money saved towards Bale and Reguilon who have been our biggest outlays.

Diego likes this.
  10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

11. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

THis seven looks far more targetted than the last time we brought in 7 players. Shows up the strengths of Jose and the failings of AVB

Dier Hard likes this.
  12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I agree with you about the signings, but I'm not sure that the managers were responsible in either case.
    We appear to have strengthened in the positions that we most needed to though, which is always a good sign.
    Always work to be done in the transfer market and I hope Levy can keep his eye on the ball in the next couple of windows.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I think the targeting is clearly Jose. Like all top managers he recognises that essentially Football is a simple game. You target the strengths and weaknesses in the team and either play to them or replace players. I think AVB had a plan in his head and tried to make the world fit it rather than adapt the plan to the world.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  14. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I think that we were just trying to buy good players at that time, rather than fixing issues with the squad.
    It was certainly a feature when Comolli was with the club and used his Moneyball-esque approach to signings.

As people have pointed out above, the largest change under Mourinho v Pochettino's time seems to be who the manager is prepared to accept.
    Pochettino wanted Player A or nothing, while Mourinho wants a player with Player A's qualities, but realises that he may not be available.
    As long as Player B, C or D is still a good player, then that shouldn't be a problem.

If the lock on your front door breaks, you don't just leave it unlocked if the shop doesn't have your perfect lock available.

Diego, Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.
  15. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I notice that you didn't address a single thing he said...

16. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

How much of this was AVB or was it Baldini let loose in the sweet shop, either way this window looks a better fit for what the club needed

17. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

I think you will find Levy did back Poch - but Spurs suffered one bad transfer season. Once Spurs got to the CL final, Poch began speaking out of turn suggesting he was keen to manage in Spain etc. That was the start of his downfall.

Don't get me wrong - I accept there will be a time when Jose will leave but hopefully it will be with a trophy or two under his belt!

18. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

To be honest most of those failures can be placed at Baldini's door

While there's certain things AVB does deserve criticism for - he wanted Soldado when Baldini recommended Benteke, and Chiriches was certainly a player he was after - Baldini was the DoF and his strategy was deeply flawed, namely rather than signing a direct replacement for Bale who would slot straight into the team he spread the money around, best exemplified by signing Lamela and Chadli even though both played on the left wing the previous season

The best way to sum it up is Baldini's brief was to replace Bale yet the closest he came was Erik Lamela effectively being a replacement for Aaron Lennon, yet Poch replaced Bale at the first time of asking when bringing in Son - contrary to what football Twitter was regurgitating last month...

19. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

OK yes it may well be Baldini but if AVB was just an innocent bystander then he was well over payed. For this reason and the fact he produced some awful football I'll still blame him. We don't exactly know how this management structure worked in practice but clues from Harry Redknapp and Pochettino would suggest that managers were at least consulted. This seems to have gone wrong with Poch towards the end when he made the point that he was only the coach. We have to take a view of the team based on the coach/manager at the time because how it all plays out among the actors involved is beyond our knowledge, well mine at least.

Diego likes this.
  20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Which one of those is the better option, again? <laugh>

Benteke suits a counter-attacking team that's good on set-pieces or at least he used to.
    Absolutely gone to pot now, for some reason. Six goals since the end of the 16/17 season.
    Out of contract at the end of this campaign, so we may well see him working his arse off now to increase his value.

Diego likes this.