1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer thread Summer 2015

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, May 13, 2015.

1. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Yeah, bring on the wild rumours, DH! I'd like to see one or two quality players added to an already good squad rather than an influx of new players.

2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As I said in the other thread, we've arguably got a better squad than this time last year, we just need perhaps 3 or 4 quality additions.

Dorrans I presume is already pretty much a done deal, which I've not made my mind up on whether that's a good deal for us or not.

Beyond that, Tettey is the lynchpin of our midfield, but with his injury situation we're going to need another quality DM. Against top teams we'll need someone excellent to sit in alongside him too.

A striker is also going to be required I think. Jerome might be capable of 10 goals in the Premier League, perhaps Grabban and Hooper another 5 or 6 each, but we'll need more.

A quality Centre Back would be my third essential, then I wouldn't say no to another flair player, either as an option on the left wing or in an attacking midfield role.

3. EastEndCanary

EastEndCanary Active Member

Our buying might depend a lot on our selling.

I could see Hooper deciding he isn't going to see enough action and head toward a Leicester, Palace or even Bournemouth?

Other than that it gets unpredictable. Will we hang on to Dorrans? (Hope not).

Will Vadis be more involved?

Will Elliott Bennett stay?

I could see several move on from our midfield making space for others to come in.

Defensively I still worry about Whits against pace and movement, but he's finished the season really strong.

Martin O has also been a hit hot and cold, but we would have to get a very good player to push him out if he doesn't leave (Garrido will move on though I reckon).

What of Van Wolfswinkle I wonder? I think he will probably decide Alex Neil might be the manager to help him hit the heights his talent indicates he could achieve. So maybe one striker in for Hoops.

The only real gap is on the left, pace and power. That won't be Lafferty, but I don't see AN thinking Bradley is going to offer enough at home against the weaker teams...

Bloody exciting to look forward to what might be...

4. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

I'd like another Right Back. Whits gets forward well but seems too frequently out of position at the back. In the PL we'll get punished there.

I'd also like a proper left sided winger/AM. Still it's gonna be fun watching the signings.

5. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yet more proof (I assume) of the galvanising effect of Alex Neil. When Whits played (out of position) vs Brentford in midfield, and got booed off by some, you could understand if his head had dropped,
    No way, he's had by far his best performances of the season since, then and I'm sure man management has made that possible. He was fine today - though 'Boro offered little threat down his channel to be fair.

DHCanary likes this.
  6. Fatter than Fleck

Left footed CB. Always been a fan of Jason Shackell and was sad to see him go. Worth a bid to Burnley as back up CB for a season or two?

ColkOfTheBarclay likes this.
  7. YellowLittle

YellowLittle Well-Known Member

Surprised about Dorrans because I very much rate him, and would like to see him stay.

I can see Hooper moving on, I think you're right he probably needs more games and overall Jerome and Grabban have had better seasons. I would like to see another striker come in to be honest.

It's hard to judge really because I think AN hasn't tinkered too much because the team he has been playing is tried and tested and worked. I would like to see Elliott Bennett stay but there is no room for sentiment, I've got loads of time for him and he seems so passionate. He just hasn't done much in a Norwich shirt in these last four years. I know he had a terrible injury, I would like him to be given a chance.

8. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I suspect after spending little last season, Burnley are going to have no need to sell, and the money they'd want for him would probably buy a better player from overseas. Also not convinced he's better than we've currently got.

As to departures, surely Bunn will finally go, and I can't see us taking up the options on Javi or Cuellar. Elliott I can only see going if we get interest from elsewhere, he's useful if only as someone we can play at RB, either wing or behind a striker.

9. Russ Martin 2

Russ Martin 2 Active Member

According to an article on the BBC AN wants to add to the squad rather than completely revamp it. I look forward to seeing some quality players coming to Carrow Road this summer!

10. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Really hope we can put the money aside for expanding Carrow Road though. Our last foray into the Prem managed to clear our debts, I wouldn't want us to come down again with nothing to show for it.

Bath-Canary likes this.

11. Bath-Canary

Yeah he said, fairly obviously that there were two plans, one If we went up and one if we didn't. I'd guess the latter would be focused more heavily on retention.

Generally we have a large squad at the moment which we'll have to trim. I too like the idea we may bring in a few quality players to "give the boys a hand" to quote a now forgotten Scottish former manager.

We're lucky to probably have a better squad than when we got relegated so we don't need a full overhaul. I assume Martin Olsson will now stay

12. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I think we need to prioritise on a few longer contracts, in no carefully thought order but generally the ones springing to mind:

Tettey
    Howson
    Redmond
    Bassong
    Olsson
    Martin

Possibly Whittaker and Hooper. I know the former gets a lot of stick but I will challenge anyone to a typing marathon who suggests Whits wasn't superb for the second half of the season and if he can carry that form through...

Oh and Neil. We need him on a slightly longer contract plz.

13. Bath-Canary

Right now Neil could write his own contract. The introduction of prima Nocta for all Norwich fans and we'd feel as though it was s good deal.

You're right Rob we are going to need to hash out good long contracts, Redmond in particular is starting to look like the player we hoped he would be.

Canary Rob and DHCanary like this.
  14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Some really interesting comments above and now we've won promotion we certainly need backup in certain areas.
    Someone to cover for Tettey would be my priority, as I think he has been immense in the last few games and we're vulnerable to him getting booked and so getting suspended.
    You're right Bath, NR is turning out to be a really useful player and he seems to be moving into a more central position and is reaping the rewards - his shooting has improved too.
    I'd also prefer to see Rusty moved back to RB and R Bennett (or a new CB) alongside Bassong who seems to be getting back to where he was when he won POTS.
    Hoolahan had a good game yesterday, but not sure he can cut it in the PL and he isn't getting any younger.
    Hooper I can see moving on unless AN can persuade him to stay and I'm not convinced Grabban could be up to the rigours of the PL.
    I can see the Murphy twins being loaned out again and I wonder what will to the others from our FA Youth Cup winning squad - I know Supers (has he left the Forum??) wasn't convinced that any would.
    I'll come back to this thread later.

15. Oxcanary

Oxcanary Well-Known Member

Ok let's go ludicrous for fun then just to ease the hangover

Carrick

Kane loved it at Carrow he wants to come back

Lampard wants a last PL pay day

Robbie Keane wants to add to his number of clubs

Odemwingie is going to sit on our door step until we sign him

Snodgrass

Oh and Fer wants to play wearing a Luis Suarez mask

16. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I was agreeing with you until I saw Fer

17. Home on the range canary

Home on the range canary Well-Known Member

Any Ipswich players we could take just to weaken their team- as obviously none are good enough to get into our team

18. THURNBY YELLOW

THURNBY YELLOW Well-Known Member

What is the situation with Van Wolfswinkle? Someone said that we had sold him but I have not seen anything? I think a couple of additions to our current squad would not be far from the requirement. A class centre back and cover for Tettey would be my prime requirements. The other big question is what to do with Hoolahan? If he is not going to be able to cut it in the top flight then we need a replacement there sooner rather than later. The last Prem season was not his best and he is not getting any younger either. he has done well though under AN, is it because if the manager or the lower league?

19. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I may be on my own here but I really can't see the benefit of keeping Tettey, the 'black Ray Wilkins' as I call him. IF he manages to pass to another yellow shirt it is invariably sideways or backwards, he prances about like 'Bambi on ice' and can't keep on his feet. He gives the ball away consistently and frustrates the hell out of me, whenever he's anywhere near the ball my heart's in my mouth. In fact yesterday he gave the ball away cheaply which eventually led to a 'Boro corner. Football is all about opinions and that's mine. <sorry>

20. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Walsh.i.am likes this.