1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

U21/U18 matches

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Oliver's Army, Aug 5, 2022.

1. SourPatch2

SourPatch2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, he'll be one of the most 'experienced' players in the squad so wouldn't be surprised if he has the armband

LD19SAFC likes this.
  2. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Sunderland Under-21s booked their place in the Premier League 2 Play-Off semi-finals following an extraordinary 5-3 penalty shoot-out victory over West Ham after the game ended 3-3 draw after extra time.

West Ham entered the interval with a one-goal advantage thanks to Gideon Kodua close-range strike before captain Ellis Taylor expertly levelled proceedings with a powerful strike inside normal time.

Patrick Kelly and Callum Marshall put the Hammers ahead twice inside extra time, but a moment of brilliance from Caden Kelly and a Tommy Watson tap-in took the two sides to penalties.

Five perfectly placed penalties later and an Adam Richardson save sent Eppleton into a frenzy as the Black Cats booked their spot in the PL2 semi-finals.

Graeme Murty was forced to make one change: Chris Rigg returned to the young Black Cats’ starting XI to replace the injured Marshall Burke.

The match was all square inside the opening 20 minutes, with both teams sharing possession but failing to create any clear-cut opportunities - goalkeepers Richardson and Jacob Knightbridge having little to do.

Sunderland came closest to breaking the deadlock on 28 minutes when Taylor’s in-swinging corner from the left-hand side came within a whisker of connecting with the head of Henry Fieldson at the back post – Knightbridge’s outstretched finger enough to tip the ball over for another corner.

The host's first shot on target came on 33 minutes, Caden Kelly picking his spot before stinging the palms of Knightbridge from 25 yards out

Seconds later, West Ham had a chance of their own. Callum Marshall cut inside Sunderland’s 18-yard box before firing through a host of bodies and forcing Richardson into a low stop.

The visitors took the lead on 40 minutes, Kodua collecting Kaegan Casey’s knockdown from a corner before drilling the ball past Richardson from six yards out.

Tommy Watson had the supporters off their seats in the final few minutes of the first half, but the winger's attempt from the edge of the box rippled the wrong side of Knightbridge’s net.

The Black Cats opened the second half in the ascendance, Kelly whipped his free-kick comfortably over Knightbridge’s near post following a blatant trip on Harrison Jones as he advanced towards goal.

The hosts continued to apply the pressure, and after several short passes, Watson fired wide of Knightbridge’s near post from an acute angle.

Taylor came within inches of a spectacular equaliser after some neat build-up play from Kelly and Watson, but the right-backs bending effort from 20 yards out curled wide of Knightbridge’s far post.

A few minutes later, Taylor made no mistake; this time, the defender controlled the ball before emphatically pinging his strike into the roof of Knightbridge’s near post to level the score on 84 minutes.

Nothing could separate the two sides in normal time, so an additional 30 minutes were added as the two teams entered extra time.

Taylor nearly doubled his tally for the evening on 96 minutes, albeit from a wicked looping deflection that almost wrong-footed Knightbridge at his front post.

The visitors took the lead again on 105 minutes when Kelly found Richardson’s bottom corner from the edge of the box.

The Hammers almost added a third inside the first few minutes of second half extra time when Michael Forbes turned inside the host’s danger area, but his shot clipped Richardson’s post.

Sunderland levelled again on 110 minutes, Kelly with a wonderfully executed bending effort from the edge of the box after Watson initially regained possession on the left-hand side.

West Ham were awarded a penalty three minutes later when Oliver Bainbridge was adjudged to have fouled Kamarai Simon-Swyer inside the box.

Lewis Osford stepped up and beat Richardson but not his post as his effort cannoned back off the woodwork before being roofed clear of danger.

After a scramble inside the Black Ctas’ box, Marshall poked the ball past Richardson on 117 minutes to put the Hammers ahead for a third time.

Sunderland didn’t give up and equalised on 119 minutes, Watson tapping home from a yard out after Knightsbridge initially denied Trey Ogunsuyi from point-blank range.

Taylor, Jones, Kelly, Middlemas, and Watson all dispatched their spot-kicks with confidence before Richardson saved Keenan Appiah-Forson attempt to send Sunderland into the last four with a 5-3 penalty shoot-out victory.

Up next for the young Black Cats is a trip to London to face Reading in the Premier League 2 play-off semi-final. Date and time will be confirmed in due course.

SAFC XI: Richardson, Taylor ©, Bell, Fieldson, Bainbridge, Middlemas, Rigg (Ryder 70’), Kelly, H.Jones, Watson, Ogunsuyi.

Subs not used: Chibueze, Tutierov, Lavery, J.Jones.

Robertson, Oliver's Army and RTB like this.
  3. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

4. alcoauth

alcoauth Well-Known Member

Love it. A real togetherness between the lads and the crowd really played an important part

5. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

Taylor's goal was quality - lovely dummy to open the shot up. You can see he backs himself to get a goal or two and it's just what sides need.

Kelly has got some ability and canny vision to make those dangerous passes. Top notch goal as well.

Lots to like about that team and it's up there with the most enjoyable lads' highlights I've watched this year.

Scout73 and clockstander like this.
  6. alcoauth

alcoauth Well-Known Member

Taylor really stands out at u21 level, which has convinced me his failed Hartlepool loan was an aberration, they were struggling and decided to go with experience at the expense of the player, missing out of what he could have offered them.

At this point I believe the player has something to offer beyond what is obvious, it's clear as well that he is a winner and has leadership qualities, you can hear that by watching the footage of recent u21 games.

I'd be tempted to give him a 1 + 1 with the intention to loan him out to a L2 club for the full season, if it doesn't work out we don't renew and the player moves on, if it works, well then we can review at that point.

7. clockstander

I agree. Best team at the club imo.

Robertson and Wayne the Punk like this.
  8. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

9. dilb3rt

dilb3rt Active Member

If Kelly and Taylor are staying they have to get a decent loan move next season. I've never been to watch a full game but on the highlights Kelly always looks impressive, he should've got a run out in the last few games of the season.

Apart from the obvious ones that have been spoken about before, I was impressed with a few bits of play from Middlemas in last nights highlights. How's he rated? Chance of making it to the first team?

10. LD19SAFC

Looks a real talent that lad. Football league loan next season?

Robertson and clockstander like this.

11. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Free parking and free entry
    - yes please

Tickets

There will be free admission to the game for any supporters wishing to attend the game. Admission to the match & car parking will be free for all spectators with unallocated seating in the West Lower Stand, entry via Gate 4.

12. LD19SAFC

13. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Had a cracking season. Well deserved.

clockstander and Robertson like this.
  14. LD19SAFC

Good player and still only 19. Potential for a National League loan?

Oliver's Army likes this.
  15. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd get the lads with the greatest potential out in loan next season. Another loan for Young, then look at Bainbridge, Jones and another loan for Zach Johnson maybe.

They need to decide if Watson stays and gets game time like Rigg did this season ir if they send him out as well. I'd make sure Watsons contract is boxed off if we do send him out though because he could tear up a lower division.

16. LD19SAFC

I hope Ellis Taylor gets himself a decent move.

17. clockstander

Hes been a cracking captain leading the U21's by example. I think we have acted a little hastily in his case and hope he proves me right , and whoever made this decision wrong. OaU.

18. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Well-Known Member

Sad that Ellis Taylor has left, if ever a lad deserved a break it's him.

Good luck young man

19. Scout73

Scout73 Well-Known Member

Good player at u21 level n i hope he has a cracking career but he isnt of championship quality imo and i dont think he ever will be

Dont think ive ever wished for a player to have a long n succesful career as much as i am with him

20. LD19SAFC

Disagree. He’s 21 now, needs to be playing proper football and I don’t believe he’s good enough for the level we’re currently at. Good luck to the lad

clockstander likes this.