1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread United vs City - Super Semi-final Shindig

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

So this isn't a two-legged semi-final. Winner takes all tomorrow night. Lets hope it doesn't go to pens otherwise Kloppy will be crying we got 5 more than they did yesterday <laugh>

News is Lindelof is fit again, but I'd rather keep the consistency of the cb partnership and continue with Baily Maguire partnership. We really could go with any line up with the options available (except Cavani). It's a strong squad to choose from. I just hope Matic doesn't start that's all.

As for City, Bernardo Silva is suspended, Aguero and Jesus are unlikely to be fit to start and about 5 others still isolating with Covid. However Mahrez, Rodri, Gundogan, Fernandhino, Debruyne, Sterling all available.

I expect a lot of pressure on our defence at times and once again relying on the counter attack. We're going to have to be on our game. Would love an early goal for us but then who wouldn't.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We need to try to win this one, no pretence 'it doesn't matter', it does.

Win this and there's the semi final monkey off Solskjaer's back and then a decent wait till the final against beatable opposition, whoever wins the other game.

If anything, Saturday against Watford is way less important. We should play reserves in that game then go all out to win the Burnley match following it.

League cup finalists and league leaders going into the scouse game. That's where we have to be.

Christiansmith, Diego and Treble like this.
  3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Agree completely.

And if we play more of the "squad" players against Watford, give the first team regulars a rest, then there's enough of a gap between the Burney and Livpl game to recover as well.

Diego likes this.
  4. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

we could always take the RS position on their board. If we lose it didn’t matter anyway. But if we won then it is a great trophy to win. ;)

We need to play our game and use our strengths. The last thing we should do is to show them too much respect and start slow. We should show lots of confidence and not be mesmerised by their possession game. It’s a cup game. Anything can happen. Win or lose, we shouldn’t let it affect our next league matches!!

5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Would like to win this because i would love a bit of payback to the spuds at wembley.
    That said, i wouldn't mind losing if we can push the form in the league and stay competing, City can **** the spuds at wembley instead <laugh>

glazerfodder likes this.
  6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

How does that even work mate?

We lose this one off cup tie, this will help our league form?

7. Christiansmith

We are meeting Citeh when they have recovered their form. We improved our home form a bit too. So I would put it at 50-50. We need to learn lessons on how they cut through the chavs midfield as if t wasn’t there.

8. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I always hate these cup ties with lower-table sides, they often seem to up their game because they are playing one of the top teams.

9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Not quite what i said is it <laugh>

10. glazerfodder

Good strong side - I see some penalties in this one, hopefully three pens to us as we don't score from open play any more <laugh>

team.png

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Another slow start, just sitting back... sigh

12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Good first half of football to watch that. Under the cosh a bit in the first 20-25 mins but got a grip after that.
    Pogba and Martial look up for it with good movement and effort, Rashford is wasted out wide right, doing his best but would be much more effective on the left or through the middle (swap with Martial for a while and see?)
    Shaw playing very well and Fred/McT are coping well enough, would be quite confident about the second half but Bruno looked like he got a sore one near the end there.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Bollocks.

After a decent first half too.

Diego likes this.
  14. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Hmm.

Not too bad a performance but, ultimately, City were just a bit better.

Hopefully we can be spared the Mikey Mouse cup, doesn't matter nonsense. That's not the case.

It's more a worry that Solskjaer keeps being found wanting in cup semi finals.

We should now concentrate fully 100% on the next 2 league games and just see what happens in the FA Cup with a reserve team.

That comp is very definitely not important at this current point.

Diego likes this.
  15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Didn't really see it in the first half tbh.

They never really got out of 2nd gear and we never had a grip on the game.

We never looked like fashioning any chances, just relying on individuals to make something happen.

16. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Very decent watch.
    Positives, Pogba and Martial actually looked up for it.
    Negatives, Bruno looked a bit off and his shooting was ****, Ole left it about 20 mins too late to bring Greenwood on and get Rashford on the left.

No real complaints with any player or effort, just beaten by a very good team.

17. Christiansmith

Decent match. City deserved it but we also had chances which we could/should have taken. Fernandes and Rashford were off their high standards today. Compared to last season’s semi it was a massive improvement as we were always in the game.

let’s move on. We have a Burnley catch up match which we HAVE to win. And then an important match against the RS. Last season, I was filled with dread about that match but this time I can’t wait.

glazerfodder and Diego like this.
  18. glazerfodder

Its a loss, nothing too bad though. I'd rather we focus our energies on the PL and the Europa league, even the FA Cup can go by the wayside as far as I'm concerned - the fixture schedule is congested enough as it is.

cytrax likes this.
  19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Sorry but we have to be more than just flat track bullies.

Every game this season against decent opposition has been as much about us underwhelming as it has about them being the better team. I think we'll be as much under the kosh against Livpl as we were against City. They completely controlled the game from start to finish and we had no answers.

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

In the cold light of day, the faults within Solskjaer's management are still glaringly obvious.

I don't think City were that much on top, we had plenty of genuine chances (mostly half a yard offside ffs) and they can pass between full backs and the keeper as much as they want for me, it means **** all.

They did have more obvious periods within the game they were on top though, and their chances were more clear cut. Plus, they scored two, so had more cutting edge.

What bugged me was the substitutions, again. Waited too long to get rid of one of the DCM's for Greenwood, and insultingly and pointlessly threw van de Beek on for two minutes when the match was lost.

What's the point of that? Give him ten minutes for **** sake, give him a chnace.

We could well go top on Tuesday but, hand on heart, I still think we'll finish 3rd at best this season.

Albeit a lot closer to the top two points wise.

I hope I'm wrong of course but there you go, I just don't think Ole has anywhere near enough management savvy.

Not sure he ever will either.