1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours United's ever on going rebuild , are we nearly there yet?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Right, so just buy James Maddison instead?

Who might not be for sale. And Ten Hag doesn't want.

And, by the way, is not the same position as De Jong.

Here you go Eric, have Maddison instead.

That's a great approach for your new manager.

Diego likes this.
  2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Didn’t I just make that point in my post by specifically pointing out that he’s similar to Bruno?

But to your point… here you go, Ten Hag, have a player that really doesn’t want to play for the club but you want him so much that we forced him in. Great!

How about we bring in players that really want to be here, ffs!

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

You do realise Ten Hag and de Jong have worked together before?

Welcome to the point.

How do you know he doesn't want to go to United?

The only thing that has been said is that he doesn't necessarily want to leave Barcelona. That's it. Nothing more.
    At no point, ever, has he said he doesn't want to play for United.

Maddison doesn't play in the same role as de Jong, comparing him to Fernandes is irrelevant to the point.

Whatever that point is.

Diego likes this.
  4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

You’re being a smart a$$, Chief!

Let me iterate the point again that is essential for us all to understand… We have been fkin slow in executing the rebuild efforts. That is a fact!! Chasing after one single player because they worked together years ago is totally useless to what is required. Their history together does not inherently justify the fixation on de Jong.

There are reports now circulating that Ronaldo has asked to leave if a “satisfactory” offer comes in for him. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that the indecisiveness at the club is starting to bare unwanted consequences. If Ronaldo leaves, then we have to find creative ways to fill that gap of getting someone to score 20 goals and more goals from the midfield. Can it be done with solid midfield, yes! But we have zero evidence to suggest that we have enough players to do that.

Nitpick away!

5. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

The Times is reporting that CR wants to leave the club to play CL football.

6. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Who can blame him? Could be a blessing in disguise for Ten Hag and the team

So much for the nonsense spouted here that the CL place this season didn’t matter <laugh>

7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

If true, it’s stupid of Ronaldo. He’s 37 ffs! If all that he cares about is his goal scoring record, then he should be shown the door right away.

My main concern is that these things are bubbling up with time not being on our side as we wasted it cheating shadows in the last six months.

8. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

The story seems to be gaining traction in the sporting press but what I can't understand is that CR would have known since May that we were not in the CL, so he had ample time to feed this news in to the club so they could start looking for replacements (presuming this wasn't the case and EtH is going with Martial/Rashford). This is a troublesome enough window without having to cast around just ahead of pre-season to find a striker that will give us 20 goals per season. If CR goes anywhere it would probably be Bayern Munich who will be looking to replace Lewandowski

Who knows if the story has any truth to it, but it could seriously derail EtH's plans

9. Christiansmith

I’ve sometimes blamed Ronaldo (although not his fault) for being part of the problem faced last season. But I can see where he’s coming from. He’s one of the two or three of the best footballers in history, has an unbelievable world goal scoring record and lead the CL goal scoring record. He wants to leave an untouchable legacy. He has played for very top champion teams in their leagues since he was a professional and Utd are nowhere near the very top although he says he still has a lot of affection for the club and supporters.

10. Christiansmith

And the ridiculous opera played by Utd in the transfer business doesn’t help. Smacks of real amateurs in a world of sharp professionals.

11. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Ok, I'll nit pick away.

You're talking bollocks mate. Utter ratshit.

Firstly, it wasn't years ago. It was two seasons, tops.

You are randomly suggesting that he sign an entirely different player who is not for sale, just to keep the likes of you happy. Ten Hag doesn't want Maddison, we've got Fernandes. He's asked the club to sign de Jong.

Specifically, de Jong.

Just because that doesn't please you, tough **** mate. Because that's who the new manager actually wants, not Maddison.

As for Ronaldo, are you actually serious?

I could go on Twitter, wherever, and find a post from some random or other contradicting what you've just weirdly taken as gospel.

Give your heard a shake ffs.

12. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Ok, plenty statements that Ronaldo wants to leave, so could well turn out to be be true.

Ah well.

That doesn't really bear much relevance to de Jong not having been signed in an acceptable time frame for some of you though.

13. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Dude, I don’t give a sht about Maddison! I mentioned him as an example of great players that are out there while we stay fixated on one. There is a bucket of them while we spend the whole summer trying to get de Jong. What part of that is hard to understand from my posts?

You’re mischaracterizing this as some personal feeling when the very basis of my posts are to point of the fundamental flaws in our strategy and why it’s been detrimental to the club. Not to make me “happy” as you’ve put it. This is not some emotional rant!

As for Ronaldo, if multiple sources are reporting it, it is the only thing that we all have to go by. Let’s stop acting as though we have an alternative source of information which would be analogous to burying our heads in the sand. The fact is that Ronaldo has social media at his finger tips to quickly dismiss the story and he hasn’t done so. If he says nothing, then we are left to assume that there is fire from the gossip smoke. I suspect is that our lack of definitive plan in the summer is impacting him. We would be kidding ourselves to think otherwise.

So, let’s just stop acting like we need a Sigmund Freud to diagnose posts to get simple points across that the club is currently running a shtshow when it comes to execution which ultimately has residual effects on the rebuild plans.

14. Christiansmith

Dejong has said a long time ago that he would like to play CL football and that it was important for him. He sees coming to Utd as a significant backward step in his career. The move by Ronaldo can only make his arrival less likely.

The optimism displayed here by some that the deal will be done this week first on Thursday then on Saturday is misplaced. It looks we can forget about him too. Our transfer strategy has really not improved from ****ing Woodward. It is so amateurish it is unbelievable.

15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Firstly, he's a million miles from being a great player.

Secondly, out there does not mean available.

What makes you think we can go to Leicester and just say, we want to sign Maddison, and the result be any different to the one with de Jong you are currently crying about?

You say we have no plan, yet refuse to engage with the notion that signing de Jong is Ten Hag's plan.
    He's identified a player who he wants to be the fulcrum of our midfield, what part of that do you not get?

It's like a Fast Show sketch;

Ten Hag - John, did you sign me Frenkie De Jong?

Murtough - Even better than that........

Diego likes this.
  16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

So Maddison is not a great player but de Jong is a god-like talent, right?! Based on what exactly? Why are we always so dismissive of players that are operating efficiently under the radar? I would argue that Maddison is far better than anyone else in our midfield at the moment.

But like I said, the point is not specifically about Maddison. But to make the point that we need not be fixated on a single player which then burns our resources to be agile. We are too one dimensional in our strategy. But I’m sure as hell that we would have had a better shot at signing someone like him than chasing players from Barca.

Take Liverpool… they knew they were losing Mane and not sure Salah would even sign a new contract. They executed a clear strategy to mitigate against the risk of losing both players. Other clubs in the lower end of the table do the same to survive. Therefore, this shouldn’t be reduced to “Liverpool has champion’s League”, but about display of proactive and cohesive strategy of building talent pipeline to reduce over-reliance on egos.

17. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Can I genuinely ask if you've ever seen these players play?

It's based on that.

18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I personally don’t get the whole CL thing. There are many great players playing outside of CL. I don’t even sympathize with Ronaldo that he wants Champion’s League and that his decision is understandable… fk no! He was part of a team that FAILED to qualify. Antidotally, he played a central role to play in that failure. A true leader would own their responsibility to the team and not make it about his own desires. Pogba is in the same bracket that thinks he deserves better. That’s already two players too many players that would have been imposing their own desires over their role in the team’s success/failure.

This is part of the ego culture that we need to destroy at the club to have any chance of success going forward. I bet Ten Hag would quietly be happy that Ronaldo doesn’t want to stay.

19. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Naaah! I live in a hole!

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

No, me either.

If Ronaldo wants to leave, so be it. At nearly 38 that's his perogative, so what to be absolutely honest.