1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours United's ever on going rebuild , are we nearly there yet?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

So why the comparison between Maddison and de Jong?

Given they don't play in the same position.

Yeah, I know. Just an example.

Of a random midfielder who may or may not be available.

2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I wasn’t making a direct comparison. I was illustratively pointing out that there are various players that can add value to our current disjointed midfield. The world does not end at the feet of one player.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I can't be arsed dissecting everything, or trying to explain any of it, or guessing what is or isn't true.

All I'll say is, this transfer window looks to be an absolute ****show so far.

Christiansmith likes this.
  5. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

yep. For the sake of a few million pounds there is now uncertainty and nervousness, when there should be focus, team building and forward thinking. Utd choosing the time when they are at rock bottom to scrutinise every pound spent (when they pissed a billion without any reward) is the ultimate irony.

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I don't know what it is. Like I said I can't be arsed to guess what the reason is or what's true bcos we don't know. The reason could be as simple as - we're just not very good at it!

None of that really matters and I'm beyond it now. The only thing that matters is the whole thing looks insipid and ****e. It could all change tomorrow and we bring in 4 players, go on preseason and all is good, which is why I say "so far". But as things stand... bloody hell.

Christiansmith and Diego like this.
  7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

That "few million" you casually speak of makes a massive difference to further transfers. If clubs know you are just going to throw the asking price at players then every player you enquire about immediately gets their value increased by a "few million".
    Walk away from stupid money and people will learn they either take it or leave it. There are lots of other players out there.

8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

The transfer window doesn't close until August and has only been open 2 weeks.
    Yes i know that every supporter and probably manager want's all their new players in for pre-season but the fact is very few get that. Deadline day is such a big thing because it's a fact that many big deals get done that day with clubs knowing it's their last chance to get or cash in on a player and deals are done from the perspective of both sides out of necessity.

9. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

This is not a new thing anyway.

The last proper game changer signing Ferguson made iirc was Robin van Persie, which I'm sure was deadline day or thereabouts.
    The idea that we always made loads of early signings isn't quite correct, what we did when him and Gill were around is make subtle squad refreshing changes, which is what City and Liverpool have done.

Because they are in a position to do so.

We are not. It's not the same.

We have a new manager, they don't. Just started. Literally.

Woodward has also left, so changes at director level as well.

If this is still rumbling on in two week's time then fair enough, but I still think it's fairly early doors given the circumstances. And it shouldn't be a case of just sign whoever is available.

glazerfodder and Diego like this.
  10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I guess in the grand scheme of things is that events this summer will help the team. It becomes the case of addition by subtraction with so many ineffective players leaving. That was always going to be the crucial part of the rebuilding process. Even though it feels horrible always reading about departures and not seeing replacement plan, we need the departures more than simply bringing in new players. If Ronaldo leaves, we will be better off for it as well and start the season truly free of baggage.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022

11. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Must admit, I am completely down with the idea of Ronaldo leaving.

Wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Equally, be great if he stays if this all happens to be media bollocks. He's only got one more useful season in him anyway.

Christiansmith and Diego like this.
  12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

<doh>

13. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Think about it, Diego… My logic is not CS’s logic. Mine is truly undeniably sound! Haha

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

If he leaves then we need a really good striker as replacement.
    Can Rashford gain any of his mojo back? is there a striker in the youth teams that can step up?
    3rd top scorer in the division (in a totally dissfunctional team) takes some replacing regardless of only having 1 more season in him (maybe).

15. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

“Barcelona have no intention of selling Netherlands midfielder Frenkie de Jong, although they want the Manchester United target, 25, to agree to a pay cut. (AS - in Spanish)

I’m just amazed that de Jong has not come out to say that he wants out.

16. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I'm just amazed you believe everything you read <laugh>

Chief and Christiansmith like this.
  17. Christiansmith

Hey. Fvck off. My logic has always been sounder than yours <laugh>

Diego and cytrax like this.
  18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

What is there not to believe? Isn’t Barca in financial straits? They have history of asking players to take a pay cut, don’t they?

Regardless of truth or lie to the story, we do not have the player for one reason or another. That much is true.

Diego likes this.
  19. Christiansmith

Would understand that and I too won’t cry over it. . There are as many pros as cons in that outcome ;)

Diego likes this.
  20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Nah that's just trying to polish a turd mate. Don't know where you got 2 weeks from either, we were trying to do the deal for Nunez a month ago.

Like I said it may all change tomorrow, but right now, with a week before preseason this has been a poor showing by us so far.