1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours United's ever on going rebuild , are we nearly there yet?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It would just be one if the coaches or something.

Not the actual new manager.

Although I think telling them they're all for sale has had a further detrimental affect on their efforts, and it wasn't Ten Hag did that.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Let's take Casemiro for instance.

Blokes won 5 CL's or something. Sees in the media he's not wanted and is up for sale.

But, sorry about this, we've got no centre halves so can you fill in there? Oh and by the way, you will then be absolutely slated when you don't become a top class defender overnight!

He's never been a defender, never. Never been a defensive midfielder or whatever, he's relied on positioning and interceptions, and that sharpness has now gone.

Being a 'holding' midfielder does not make you a defender.

I genuinely don't blame him if he's thinking '**** this'.

Let's be honest, he could have done what Rashford has done and cried off injured again, but hasn’t. Yet still get's dogs abuse.

3. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Well-Known Member

Should have left Van Gaal alone or Jose... you've ended up creating your own problems.

4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

How in gods green **** have you let us overtake you in the league table?
    We have been utter dogshit this season!!
    ffs now our board are gonna keep Poch, if he qualifies for Europe!
    thanks!

5. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Palace are mid-table, no aspirations for Europe, no relegation battle and with just a handful of games to go you could easily imagine that their players are already on the beach, but no. A team of well drilled, high-energy and hungry young players ripped us to ****ing shreds just for the sheer hell of it. I have seen good games and bad games down the decades and it would be unfair to say that was one of our worst performances but it is certainly our worst under ETH.

He cannot stay on beyond the end of the season, his fate has surely been sealed, but we all know that simply changing manager (yet again) isn't the answer. Players have to go, too many at once or else the project is doomed from the start, but that is the truth of it, we can't just keep the deadwood and strengthen, we have to get rid of as much as we can and start over with realistic targets and take the pain for a few seasons until, hopefully, it all comes good.

cytrax likes this.
  6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I just feel we seem to be saying the exact same thing every couple of years. Whether it's the manager and/or the players.

We're at a very low point. The only thing we can hope for is that with a complete change at the top, actually having football men who are now running the club, we will finally begin to get it right.

Someone posted on the PL board that they'd seen United through the relegation years of the 70's and that the way we are now is worse. I don't know, I wasn't around then. But this is the worst in my lifetime. Even as a kid watching us under big Ron our football had some swagger, some excitement about it even though we stumbled along the way. This is just awful.

Diego likes this.
  7. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

The whole ****show from O'Farrell in the early 70's right through to Atkinson in the 80's was painful to watch, pretty much rinse and repeat from what we see today, it was totally disheartening, being a fan of United was an embarrassment. The manager turnover was pretty similar to what we've seen in the last decade - failed attempts to impose a certain style of play, only to change over and over again. It was only when Big Ron was sacked in 86 after a drab five years and SAF came in that things looked up, so the last few years are nothing new to fans of a certain age.

We can never hope to find another SAF, it just can't happen, the club was in such a state of flux that he was able to dictate every facet of the rebuild, he literally designed the club in his image from the ground up. The best we can hope for now is a reset that the players buy into, but there are egos in there that have to go in order for that to happen.

cytrax likes this.
  8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Have to say I quite enjoyed the period under Atkinson. Granted I was just a kid but I loved the players and the way we played. I remember to this day drawing a picture of Bryan Robson with a little comment about how he was bought for a record £1.8m. Stuck it up on my wall lol. Had it there for years. Hughes, Strachan, McGrath, Jesper Olsen, Stapleton, Whiteside, Moran loved them all.

This lot we have now, fck me. Nowhere near the same. Most fall far far short.

glazerfodder likes this.
  9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Times were good under blg Ron and the Doc, not gtreat but well worth watchingt.

10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Your posts have eloquently summed up where we are at the moment. I believe that the most important change that needed to occur is the one that has already occurred in the form of Ratcliffe. That is the real catalyst for change, in my opinion.

Also, the downer that we are in right now gives the new regime a real clean slate to start. I will be happy for the full team, bar the younger players and few exceptions like Martinez, to be shredded! We need to seize the moment and use it as an opportunity for a complete overhaul. Of course, ETH can’t be part of that process. He’s a damaged good at this point even though I believe he was the right man when he came in.

So yes, shred the team starting with the manager and reset expectations, training methodologies, and the execution for all players wearing the shirt next season. Now is the best opportunity for that shift.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Not sure the physio would agree under the Doc :bandit:

glazerfodder and Diego like this.
  12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

We aren't shredding the team mate. Not a fcking hope in hell anyone's taking these players with the wages they're on. The only way would be to buy out their contracts and that just isn't happening. It would be insane anyway but would also fck us up when it comes to PSR rules.

Diego likes this.
  13. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Fine looking woman was Mary, probably could have been sorted with her hubby <whistle>

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

So what you're saying is the Doc had good taste lol.

I know you're joking about sorting it with the hubby, but can you imagine him carrying on while the team knows the manager was banging his mrs, even if he has left.

Diego likes this.
  15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Had my first LMTB's in the mid 80's under Atkinson.
    They are surely the best team to never win a league, they were superb.

I give you;

Gary Bailey
    Mike Duxbury
    Paul McGrath
    Kevin Moran
    Arthur Albiston
    Arnold Muhren
    Bryan Robson
    Remi Moses (Ray Wilkins)
    Steve Coppell
    Norman Whiteside
    Frank Stapleton

Couple of FA cups won, a league cup final lost

Would sit in the Stretford End (right side) nearly two hours before kick off to get the best peg to stand. It was superb.

I'll never forget that team, and some of the players who followed (Olsen, Strachan, Hughes etc.)

This lot couldn't wipe their arses.

glazerfodder, Diego and Treble like this.
  16. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

When Wilkins, Muhren, Stapleton, Coppell and Moses (injury) left, it started to fall apart a bit for Atkinson.

One season Alan Brazil, Jesper Olsen and Gordon Strachan were the big signings and we should have kicked on, wearing that beautiful kit with the white stripe at the shoulder.

We won the first 12 games, was a record at the time I think, playing brilliant football but Robbo became injury prone and McGarth was also injured/on the piss and the likes of Graham Hogg would fill in, and not be good enough. Fell by the wayside, finishing fourth I think. Liverpool and Everton too good in those days.

We were signing the likes of Brazil, Peter Davenport and Terry Gibson as strikers, it didn't work. Till Hughes appeared.

He never quite got us over the line though Atkinson.

Then Fergie came along and dismantled the whole thing. Rightly.

Someone needs to do likewise with this ****e.

17. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Anyway, Dave Sexton's lot before Big Ron were surely worse than the current lot, so we've had worse!

Just.

Diego likes this.
  18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Sancho and Sabitzer, two players that were allegedly not good enough for us are now doing okay.

I still believe that we made matters worse for ourselves through awful transfers and man-management that ostracized players mentally and physically. We also made stupid transfer decisions that meant players that came in just before ETH had even less game time. Mount and Antony are prime examples of transfers that most likely unsettled Sancho. Did we need to pay the crazy fee for either of those players? On evidence of what we know today, we shot ourself badly in the foot.

19. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Signing Sabitzer would have been a better bet than bringing Amrabat in, or signing Mount in hindsight.

Definitely a mistake in not simply keeping him.

Sancho can't use those two as an excuse, he had ample opportunity at United and he didn't take them. He's just not a good fit at United, doing OK at Dortmund doesn't mean anyone but him has failed at United, it's no one else's fault.

Diego likes this.
  20. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

But many others have failed or continue to fail at United. Not just Sancho. In that regard, his inability to reach his potential is certainly not isolated to him but reflects the systemic problems that has plagued the club.